How do you feel about your musical career?

SteelSlider
SteelSlider
07/13/2001 3:20 am
I sorta got off on the wrong foot, or guitar, in my early years. We was poor folk. I began lessons on a Hawaiian steel guitar in 1956 when I was eight. All I knew how to play was Hawaiian music cuz that's the only music I could find. I finally taught myself some country. I didn't get my first axe till around 1963 sometime. A whole new world opened up before me.
Like everyone else, I wanted to be on the top. Several times I had to lay my insturment in it's case and do something else. Nam took up a few years. Depression took up a few more, as did moving, family, being unemployed for a while, ect. I've had my ups and down, good times and bad.
The 'top' has eluded me. I wasn't that good, wasn't noticed, didn't know the right people, what ever. I have brushed shoulders with some artists though, even was invited to play with them a few times, not on a recording thingie though. Just jam after hours.
I have written over 200 songs over the years, met a lot of really nice people and expanded my musical knowldge base farther than I ever knew existed.
I've played do whap, early rock I guess oldies, Rock, Soul, Jazz, R&B, Classical, Blues and Delta blues, Country and Ethnic fusion. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, I've played Hawaiian too. More styles than I ever dreamed of.
I'm 53 at the moment, and there may still be time to record my own stuff. But setting that aside, I'm more than satisfied with what I've learned, the people I've met and the fun I've had. Somethings I never thought of when I was younger, I guess.
Slidin' on.
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
07/13/2001 3:37 am
Music is in my blood, I swear, because I just can't stay away from it. I can't stay away from the idea of being creative through music, whether theres a record contract around the corner or not. A lot of people set deadlines for themselves, to kind of give themselves an idea if they're wasting their time with slave practice schedules. Well, regrdless on whether or not I get my music out to the public (the mainstream) I won't have any self regrets for all of the time Ive put into practicing and recording music, because its all been for my own personal satisfaction.

I started out on the panio at a very young age, and I shifted to A nylon acoustic guitar, I practiced fingerstyle as if there was no tomorrow, (which requires a lot of patience) and I'm thankful for the knowledge I recieved at such an early age which has given me a strong head on my shoulders now that the years have progressed. I've written hundreds of songs, and also there are hundreds of unfinshed ideas laying astround on paper, and cassette. Ide love to have the opportunity to record all of this stuff for real, but time hasn't been on my side as of late. Nor have I found the right people to collaborate with. But still, I keep my fingers crossed, and i'm optimistic that the right people will come along, with a strong level of patience (which i have acquired over the past several years.) Hopefully, one of these days I'll have a healthy music career, because its always something I thought I would doing professionally. I haven't played in a band since highschool, and I miss it. In highschool, you get the feeling that comes over you where you think you've got it made, and nothing could go wrong. But people chance, their level of motivation doesn't always stay the same, and its just too bad that most people today don't thing in terms of longevity when it comes to a music career. Instant success was never soley on my mind, because hard work always gets the job done. And if not, so far Ive had a great ride...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 2
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
07/13/2001 11:47 am
I'm 41 now and playing in a band for a few years. We all enjoy it and making our own songs. I'm not a great guitarist but lately i took some lessons and my technique improves rapidly, that's something i must have done 20 years ago. If i could do it all over again i start with the lessons as soon as possible. I did not get all the support from my family and when i moved from home my life changed, in my work as a nurse i worked at inconvenient times, it was very hard to join a band, also we've got three kids, now the kids are growing up and i've got a regular job and time to join a band. I enjoy it and like to play live, like an old dream still come true. Maybe sometime later then i really wanted, but if i become 70 years old i've still got 30 years to go to play and practice.
Your never to old to rock and roll.
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/14/2001 3:50 pm
I'm 21 and just starting out. I plan to move to Austin TX this fall to see if I can earn a living playing bass. If not, then it should be fun to try. We'll see how that effects my band: not all of us are enthused witht he idea of Texas, but I'll see how the scene looks, then we'll see about changing areas.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
r_moreno7
r_moreno7
07/14/2001 8:18 pm
Hey Rask why don't you come to california instead ...start up a band with me I learn quick..... -Robyn
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.