View post (How do you feel about your musical career?)

View thread

SteelSlider
SteelSlider
07/13/2001 3:20 am
I sorta got off on the wrong foot, or guitar, in my early years. We was poor folk. I began lessons on a Hawaiian steel guitar in 1956 when I was eight. All I knew how to play was Hawaiian music cuz that's the only music I could find. I finally taught myself some country. I didn't get my first axe till around 1963 sometime. A whole new world opened up before me.
Like everyone else, I wanted to be on the top. Several times I had to lay my insturment in it's case and do something else. Nam took up a few years. Depression took up a few more, as did moving, family, being unemployed for a while, ect. I've had my ups and down, good times and bad.
The 'top' has eluded me. I wasn't that good, wasn't noticed, didn't know the right people, what ever. I have brushed shoulders with some artists though, even was invited to play with them a few times, not on a recording thingie though. Just jam after hours.
I have written over 200 songs over the years, met a lot of really nice people and expanded my musical knowldge base farther than I ever knew existed.
I've played do whap, early rock I guess oldies, Rock, Soul, Jazz, R&B, Classical, Blues and Delta blues, Country and Ethnic fusion. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, I've played Hawaiian too. More styles than I ever dreamed of.
I'm 53 at the moment, and there may still be time to record my own stuff. But setting that aside, I'm more than satisfied with what I've learned, the people I've met and the fun I've had. Somethings I never thought of when I was younger, I guess.
Slidin' on.