Backstreet boys

chris mascarenas
chris mascarenas
07/11/2001 12:04 pm
I was reading the paper the other day and i was reading the entertaiment section and in bold letters it said BACKSTREET BOY GOES TO REHAB when I read the story i couldnt help but have a smile upon my face thinking could this be the end of boy bands, that would be a perfect world wouldnt it? But my smile turned to horror when I read the next article, George Harrison has brain tumor I read clenching on to the paper, George Harrison the guitarist from the most best band ever (of course this could be argued)has had 3 cancerous growths in the past year and now has a brain tumor now not only was I saddened I was mad. What kind of a world do we live in where a Backstreet Boy going to rehab gets more attention than George harrison getting a brain tumor, I think George Harrison getting a hangnail is even more important than a Backstreet Boy dying one billion boy bands equall one George Harrison, since monday ive heard, read, and watched that story a million times yet why didnt Chet Atkins get that kind of Attention and he died or John Lee Hooker, we live in a sad sad world.
# 1
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/11/2001 2:33 pm
I will have to agree. However, in this day and age, we (guitar players and lovers of pure music) are in the minority. BUT WE WILL NEVER STOP JAMMIN'!!!
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/11/2001 4:08 pm
Originally posted by fendermonkey77
BUT WE WILL NEVER STOP JAMMIN'!!!

Hell yeah!
# 3
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
07/11/2001 10:06 pm
Originally posted by chris mascarenas
I was reading the paper the other day and i was reading the entertaiment section and in bold letters it said BACKSTREET BOY GOES TO REHAB when I read the story i couldnt help but have a smile upon my face thinking could this be the end of boy bands, that would be a perfect world wouldnt it? But my smile turned to horror when I read the next article, George Harrison has brain tumor I read clenching on to the paper, George Harrison the guitarist from the most best band ever (of course this could be argued)has had 3 cancerous growths in the past year and now has a brain tumor now not only was I saddened I was mad. What kind of a world do we live in where a Backstreet Boy going to rehab gets more attention than George harrison getting a brain tumor, I think George Harrison getting a hangnail is even more important than a Backstreet Boy dying one billion boy bands equall one George Harrison, since monday ive heard, read, and watched that story a million times yet why didnt Chet Atkins get that kind of Attention and he died or John Lee Hooker, we live in a sad sad world.

The day JLH died he there was a good bit of radio coverage but thats about it. There was supposed to be a programme about his life on but the cricket ran overtime and thats oviously more interestin and important than one of the greatest bluesmen ever.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/11/2001 10:30 pm
I think the real "revenge" or "tribute" is that in 50 years, people will still be talking about George Harrison, Jimi Hendrix, John Lee Hooker, SRV, etc, etc, etc, and NOBODY will remember The Back Street Boys. Sure, somebody will replace them, but they'll never be leagends.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
chris mascarenas
chris mascarenas
07/14/2001 6:30 am
George Harrison the guitarist from the most best band ever (of course this could be argued)has had 3 cancerous growths in the past year and now has a brain tumor. I meant past decade.
# 6
Bardsley
Bardsley
07/14/2001 7:18 am
These are people's lives you are talking about, try to be a little more sensitive, some people actually care about backstreet boys. Also, it is always going to be more "newsworthy" to talk about current popluar bands, rather than someone who - we must admit - is no longer in the public focus for his entertainment. Yes, I know he still performs, but you know what I mean. Actually, I heard about his brain tumour before I heard about the rehab thing, so there you go.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 7
chris mascarenas
chris mascarenas
07/14/2001 5:05 pm
Originally posted by Bardsley
These are people's lives you are talking about, try to be a little more sensitive, some people actually care about backstreet boys. Also, it is always going to be more "newsworthy" to talk about current popluar bands, rather than someone who - we must admit - is no longer in the public focus for his entertainment. Yes, I know he still performs, but you know what I mean. Actually, I heard about his brain tumour before I heard about the rehab thing, so there you go.
Yeah I guess your right and it just so happens that the beatles 1 just sold 20 million albums world wide last year by itself and 7 million copies in america (kinda makes you think doesnt it).
# 8
chris mascarenas
chris mascarenas
07/14/2001 5:06 pm
Originally posted by chris mascarenas
Originally posted by Bardsley
Yeah I guess your right and it just so happens that the beatles 1 just sold 20 million albums world wide last year by itself and 7 million copies in america (kinda makes you think doesnt it).
no pun intended
# 9
themetalmunchki
themetalmunchki
05/23/2006 7:58 am
well first of i would like to say i know who george harrsion is and second I AM A HUGE BACKSTREET BOY fan and have been since 1993. i found it rude that people bag them out becouse they think there not real musicains well guess what they are they play instruments they sing they do a awful lot and there concerts are spectacluar worth any money you pay to see them. i think its great that aj made the front page for going into rehab because he was wable to change peoples lives and get a message out to everyone that famous people are human and go through the same as we do. THEY ARE NOT A BOY BAND THEY ARE A VOCAL GROUP BESIDE WHICH ONE IS A BOY? YOU TELL ME
# 10
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/23/2006 3:15 pm
Originally Posted by: themetalmunchkiwell first of i would like to say i know who george harrsion is and second I AM A HUGE BACKSTREET BOY fan and have been since 1993. i found it rude that people bag them out becouse they think there not real musicains well guess what they are they play instruments they sing they do a awful lot and there concerts are spectacluar worth any money you pay to see them. i think its great that aj made the front page for going into rehab because he was wable to change peoples lives and get a message out to everyone that famous people are human and go through the same as we do. THEY ARE NOT A BOY BAND THEY ARE A VOCAL GROUP BESIDE WHICH ONE IS A BOY? YOU TELL ME

LOL - some1 so found this topic of google and started up a user account just to post that - that in itself is a bit weak :) but welcome anyway! In my opinion Backstreet boys and most pop is written, made and created by producers, therefore it's not really their work and they're just a vessel for a record studio to make cash profits.

I kinda like the fact that pop music exists to be honest, makes me feel like instead of just playing guitar to be like the rest of the music industry i'm playing guitar to spite the rest of the music industry (yes i noe its lame and seeing as most of the music industry is dominated by guitar based rock n roll it's not really a true statement - but the **** the system mentality still entertains me).
# 11
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/23/2006 4:08 pm
I miss George Harrison. Seems like every time I start to get into a band, they either break up or one of the members dies.
# 12
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/23/2006 7:12 pm
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoose
I kinda like the fact that pop music exists to be honest, makes me feel like instead of just playing guitar to be like the rest of the music industry i'm playing guitar to spite the rest of the music industry (yes i noe its lame and seeing as most of the music industry is dominated by guitar based rock n roll it's not really a true statement - but the **** the system mentality still entertains me).

That's partly why I've started listening to, and playing, a lot more pop lately. It seems to me that the F***-The-System, Rebellious Individual Rock and Roll Band is nothing but a construct of the major record companies looking to snare a supposedly discerning audience. Look at Jet - they're supposedly "taking back rock and roll", and they're selling their songs for TV shows and commercials, and have basically become part of the same scene as disposable commercial bands. Even progressive and alternative rock is slowly being taken over by the record companies.

So perhaps it's better to play mainstream pop, and play it well, infusing your own personality and innovations, than to play "real" rock and be used as a vehicle for the record companies to expand their audience. I'm not saying that I'm going to throw out all my Led Zeppelin albums in favour of Jack Johnson ones! It's just a thought - and a rather long-winded one, I realise! Sorry about that. :o
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/23/2006 10:39 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusThat's partly why I've started listening to, and playing, a lot more pop lately. It seems to me that the F***-The-System, Rebellious Individual Rock and Roll Band is nothing but a construct of the major record companies looking to snare a supposedly discerning audience. Look at Jet - they're supposedly "taking back rock and roll", and they're selling their songs for TV shows and commercials, and have basically become part of the same scene as disposable commercial bands. Even progressive and alternative rock is slowly being taken over by the record companies.

So perhaps it's better to play mainstream pop, and play it well, infusing your own personality and innovations, than to play "real" rock and be used as a vehicle for the record companies to expand their audience. I'm not saying that I'm going to throw out all my Led Zeppelin albums in favour of Jack Johnson ones! It's just a thought - and a rather long-winded one, I realise! Sorry about that. :o

While I agree with much of what you're saying, I don't listen to pop or Jet because I don't hear anything interesting in either of them.

To me, there isn't really a difference between "pop" easily digestable crap or "rock" (or "punk" or "country" or "metal" or whatever) easily digestable crap.

That doesn't mean that everything I listen to is groundbreaking, inovative stuff (not by a long shot), but I do need to hear something unique about it and I do need to feel that the music is honest.

But, yeah... I think most of the people you see "rebelling" against the mainstream are just followers of another variety.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/24/2006 8:41 pm
i like bands that you either absolutely love or absolutely hate, bands that take it to the extremeties and kind of test people - not in a rebellious i hate the world slit my wrists kinda way - but bands that try somn different and can get away with doing it well. like em or hate em system of a down are still one of my favourite bands mainly because they've dared to do something different whilst still being semi-conservative about it, so as to say that they're different but their music is still istenable.

I have to admit there are some catchy riffs in pop songs sometimes, and some catchy pop songs too. I feel so ashamed but i had an anastacia song stuck in my head for like a month last year!
# 15
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/25/2006 8:13 pm
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoose
I have to admit there are some catchy riffs in pop songs sometimes, and some catchy pop songs too. I feel so ashamed but i had an anastacia song stuck in my head for like a month last year!

Yeah man, I'm a Robbie Williams fan! I mean, I don't think much of the guy himself, but his songs are just so catchy it's frightening.

I like bands who can take mainstream pop and rock ideas and fuse them with a less popular genre, like jazz, which is my favourite style of music to play, and one of my favourites to listen to. Steely Dan were great at that.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 16
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/25/2006 8:16 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusSteely Dan were great at that.

Van Morrison?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.