View post (Backstreet boys)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/23/2006 10:39 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusThat's partly why I've started listening to, and playing, a lot more pop lately. It seems to me that the F***-The-System, Rebellious Individual Rock and Roll Band is nothing but a construct of the major record companies looking to snare a supposedly discerning audience. Look at Jet - they're supposedly "taking back rock and roll", and they're selling their songs for TV shows and commercials, and have basically become part of the same scene as disposable commercial bands. Even progressive and alternative rock is slowly being taken over by the record companies.

So perhaps it's better to play mainstream pop, and play it well, infusing your own personality and innovations, than to play "real" rock and be used as a vehicle for the record companies to expand their audience. I'm not saying that I'm going to throw out all my Led Zeppelin albums in favour of Jack Johnson ones! It's just a thought - and a rather long-winded one, I realise! Sorry about that. :o

While I agree with much of what you're saying, I don't listen to pop or Jet because I don't hear anything interesting in either of them.

To me, there isn't really a difference between "pop" easily digestable crap or "rock" (or "punk" or "country" or "metal" or whatever) easily digestable crap.

That doesn't mean that everything I listen to is groundbreaking, inovative stuff (not by a long shot), but I do need to hear something unique about it and I do need to feel that the music is honest.

But, yeah... I think most of the people you see "rebelling" against the mainstream are just followers of another variety.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons