I am such an a-hole...

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/22/2006 7:57 am
Okay, prepare for another whiny-to-the-point-of-emo jiujitsu rant, if you have the stomach or the patience :o :o . Sorry, but I just have to let it out. Today, I had a HSC assessment task - it was a speech in Extension English. We had to pick a crime fiction text and use it as a case in point to prove that genres are adapted to suit different times and cultures, yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, I did a hopeless job - my speech was poorly-written and rambling, and when I got up to present, I hardly made eye contact at all. What's more, I didn't even finish the speech - I ran out of time before I got to discussing the evidence of genre adaption in the plot's main case. I expected - and deserved - to fail, but everybody in the class seemed to think it was great. So did the teacher, who gave me 9/10. I feel like a bastard, because out of all the speeches I saw, mine was by far the worst, and I got the highest mark in the class. I know for a fact that I did less work on mine than anybody else. Also, there's this girl in my class who was away when we got our marks back - her speech was far better than mine, and she got a lower mark than me. The thing is, she doesn't really like me, and she gets really pissed off when I beat her - she's going to feel like dirt when she finds out I beat her in the first ENX HSC task... I can't bear to face her tomorrow.
So, you know what's coming now. Advice, anyone?
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
03/22/2006 10:30 am
I think you are just being very hard on yourself...

You obviously made an impression on people, not just the teacher... Accept the fact that you did better than you thought you did, and move on...

Don't feel guilty because you would have marked yourself harsher than the teacher did... Be thankful and if it bothers you that much - be more prepared next time...

As for your the girl in your class.... eff her. If she doesn't like it that you did better than her, that's her problem not yours..

Just my two cents...
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
03/22/2006 2:36 pm
Hm... I guess we come from different places on this topic... I remember when I was a Freshmen or Sophomore in High School I would feel bad for people that put sooooo much work into projects when I would do it in a few hours one night when I was bored from what was on TV... or I just got home from Baseball practice and I had to get it done real quick so I could go to my girlfriends house... then I realized... It's their own fault they want to be overachievers. My AP Physics teacher told me that I had an acute ability to BS about anything and act like I knew what I was talking about... (Maybe I've been BS'ing all of you? I really don't even know what a guitar is...). From that point on I prided myself in doing less work than everyone else. Because I knew I could get the same, if not better results than anyone in my class. People have different abilities... mine just so happens to be that I'm efficient with what knowledge I do have and my brain works in a deductive reasoning manner.... I never really knew how good I was until a Technical Communications class at Tri-State University... The class is designed to prepare engineers for presenting proposals and other things to corporate administrators... as well as some other things. My professor made each of us give a 5 minute speech on a topic that we were assumed to know little to nothing about... We simply would have to get up in front of the class and our professor would give us a topic that he was very familiar with. This was to test our ability to think on the fly and keep the speech flowing. He was less concerned with the content since we weren't suppose to know what we were talking about. My topic was to present the facts of how to measure the Modulus of Elasticity in metals (at this point in school we weren't expected to know this). So I went on and presented my case... and recieved high praises... That's when I realized that I can always do less work and get more out of it. It's a good ability to have, so embrace it. but don't slack too much or it will bite you in the ass. Don't be so hard on yourself. Sounds like you're a little too critical of yourself.
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/22/2006 3:34 pm
Here's a good way to think about the issue.

Your teacher knows better what was good and bad about every speech than a lowly student like you. Your teacher has a better understanding of what was best looked for and evaluated in every speech than you do. You couldn't see your speech from a third-person perspective, whereas your teacher did. Therefore your speech must have been pure f*ing awesomeness and the fact that your classmates didn't do as well only shows that their preparations were inefficient and misguided. Therefore your academic prowess exceeds that of your fellow students and you have no reason to feel bad for doing well.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
markc2005
markc2005
03/22/2006 3:38 pm
sound to me like your speach must have been pretty good
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 5
stackny
stackny
03/22/2006 3:39 pm
Wtf are you complaining about? Take it however you can get it son! You know you did a half assed job and its probably a trend you shouldnt couldnt in your education career, but heck, you should be happy.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/22/2006 7:18 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusOkay, prepare for another whiny-to-the-point-of-emo jiujitsu rant, if you have the stomach or the patience :o :o . Sorry, but I just have to let it out. Today, I had a HSC assessment task - it was a speech in Extension English. We had to pick a crime fiction text and use it as a case in point to prove that genres are adapted to suit different times and cultures, yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, I did a hopeless job - my speech was poorly-written and rambling, and when I got up to present, I hardly made eye contact at all. What's more, I didn't even finish the speech - I ran out of time before I got to discussing the evidence of genre adaption in the plot's main case. I expected - and deserved - to fail, but everybody in the class seemed to think it was great. So did the teacher, who gave me 9/10. I feel like a bastard, because out of all the speeches I saw, mine was by far the worst, and I got the highest mark in the class. I know for a fact that I did less work on mine than anybody else. Also, there's this girl in my class who was away when we got our marks back - her speech was far better than mine, and she got a lower mark than me. The thing is, she doesn't really like me, and she gets really pissed off when I beat her - she's going to feel like dirt when she finds out I beat her in the first ENX HSC task... I can't bear to face her tomorrow.
So, you know what's coming now. Advice, anyone?

Yeah, ask that chick out.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/22/2006 7:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYeah, ask that chick out.

Awesome idea.

You could also offer to tutor her. Tell her you would be glad to teach her how to not suck so bad at giving speeches.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/22/2006 7:58 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiAwesome idea.

You could also offer to tutor her. Tell her you would be glad to teach her how to not suck so bad at giving speeches.

HA! Nice one, Jolly, Hammurabi :)

But seriously, that's the thing - she doesn't suck at all. She's a brilliant speaker. I think she deserved a better mark than me - and everybody else in the class agrees that her speech was awesome. I don't want her to feel hopeless about her HSC chances because I beat her on a fluke for a speech she worked really hard on.

BTW I appreciate the advice, everybody. :)

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/22/2006 8:03 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraYou so want to bang her.

:eek: Dude, I do NOT!! I'm in love with her best friend, for God's sake.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 10
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/22/2006 8:09 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraDude...

...threesome! :eek:

She'd probably use the opportunity to stab me or strangle me.

Anyway, what do you think I should say to her if she gives me a hard time over the speech?

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/22/2006 8:13 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusShe'd probably use the opportunity to stab me or strangle me.

Anyway, what do you think I should say to her if she gives me a hard time over the speech?

Hey, some people might be into that kind of thing.

Tell her you thought hers was much better. Hit on her a little, just flirty stuff.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 12
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/22/2006 8:15 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonHey, some people might be into that kind of thing.

Tell her you thought hers was much better. Hit on her a little, just flirty stuff.

Yeah.Go up to her all humble-like and just tell her what you really thought of her presentation. You really did think it was better than yours,so you won't even have to lie!
# 13
acapella
acapella
03/22/2006 8:18 pm
Didn't he say that he doesn't want her? Or are you giving him advice on how to scare her off?
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 14
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/22/2006 8:19 pm
Sounds like a plan. Except I don't want to hit on her!

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/22/2006 8:23 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusSounds like a plan. Except I don't want to hit on her!

She's fat?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 16
Rsam16
Rsam16
03/22/2006 8:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonShe's fat?
Ooohhh.... that's mean :p :D
[FONT=Century Gothic]RSAM16[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan[/FONT]
# 17
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/22/2006 8:33 pm
Originally Posted by: Rsam16Ooohhh.... that's mean :p :D

Hey, man, some of us have a "no fat chicks" rule. I'm one of that some.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 18
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/22/2006 8:43 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI bet they're all going at it right now, inclusive of the teacher.

That's about how I remember High School.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 19
stackny
stackny
03/22/2006 8:55 pm
I have a no fat chicks, no ugly chicks, and no fat and ugly chicks rule personally. But to each his own.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.