Need some feedback on a work in progress

Superhuman
Superhuman
03/01/2006 10:15 pm
OK, I hate posting a link to a track when it is not even fully recorded (let alone mixed). BUT, I would love a bit of feedback on my latest piece. There are two major lead sections missing, the first is obvious - the second half of the first shred solo. The second is a full one minute solo (missing from the middle section - where the riffs repeats a few times). Anyway, I was wondering... do you think the solo break in the middle should be a level above all of the other playing in terms of speed, melody and technique etc OR should it be a little bit more sedate? I was thinking of taking it to the extreme myself...

ALSO! I used an Ebow for the airy sound below the syncopated arpeggio riff. Never used one before but it was cool! Does this work musicaly? Or should I scrap that idea and come up with something midi generated for the backing?

I know the sound is crap at the moment, but I will be tweaking the mix to get it more along the lines of "Beyond Our Universe" (track in my sig file). All the guitars will be run through an Eventide Eclipse which changes everything, and the drums need to be 100% EQ'd. So bear with me. Just looking for some feedback and pointers in this early phase of recording.
Thanks!

Here it is http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showmp3.asp?mp3id=29700&aid=4890
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/03/2006 3:07 pm
Bumpin this one up again lads, I've got shredders block! Back in the studio on Sunday and I still don't know what to do with this one. Any and all suggestions welcome!
# 2
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/03/2006 3:20 pm
the ebow is definatly a great touch. it would be cool to hear it again somewhere. do you bring it back in near the end for just a few seconds?

hmmm. the ending really doesnt do it for me. I think it should sort of build more. i think it would be cool if you did some extreme shred run or something that leaves everyone like... WHOAH when it abruptly stops like that.

the entire song is at this same speed and energy... for one of those missing solos it would be nice to switch it up somehow.

yeah, other than that, GREAT track as always. with the eq tweaks it should be incredible.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/03/2006 4:42 pm
Thanks man, I appreciate your feedback as allways. The ebow comes in again towards the end allright, under the same riff - I tried to keep it as one of the hooks. The very end will have some crazy arpeggio shredding changing keys over each of the power chords. I have ideas to do the middle solo with lots of dive bombs and trem work mixed with a neo-classical/fusion feel... it's just trying to get what's in my head out onto the fretboard that's the problem!
# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/03/2006 10:30 pm
anytime, man.
sounds like you have it planned out well. :D plenty of trem stuff would sound great in the middle part. that would be the break from normal that the song needs.

cant wait till youve got it down!

# 5
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2006 12:56 am
I just returned from a St Patrick's Day dinner held at a local Church. They served a traditional Irish meal. Along with the fine food we were entertained by Irish step dancers and a piper who's playing brought tears to my eyes.
The music the dancers stepped to was similar (note wise) to some of the chops in your tune.
My point is: Although metal is not something I normally listen to: your tune was absolutely outstanding with regard to content. Great job.
# 6
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/06/2006 2:13 am
heyyy you got some of that keyboard action in the begining. that sounds good. oh wait. was that the ebow?

it does seem to drag on in places like you anticipated. but that will be fixed, so im not holding to you. i like some of your bass riffs in there too, parts where you slide down the neck- good effect.

but it would be nice to work on some of the different volumes. all of the solos are the same volume and all sit on the same level EQwise as the rest. it would be nice for some diversifying in that department.

other than that, your continuing to build up another killer track, keep it up. :D

# 7
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
03/06/2006 4:37 am
As always nice playing, has a cool hook to it. Is the EBOW doing that vocal like chorus thing? Thats really cool! Cant wait to hear this finished! :)
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/06/2006 10:55 am
Thanks for the feeback guys! Re comments on levels and EQ, all taken on board. The whole track needs to be mixed from start to finish along with the new solos.
Re the Ebow, yep that's what's creating the vocal effect (along with some delay and reverb).
I was in the studio again yesterday but never got around to adding on any of the new solos... spent all the time on another new track;-)
Thanks again for the comments guys!
# 9
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
03/06/2006 10:56 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanOK, I hate posting a link to a track when it is not even fully recorded (let alone mixed). BUT, I would love a bit of feedback on my latest piece. There are two major lead sections missing, the first is obvious - the second half of the first shred solo. The second is a full one minute solo (missing from the middle section - where the riffs repeats a few times). Anyway, I was wondering... do you think the solo break in the middle should be a level above all of the other playing in terms of speed, melody and technique etc OR should it be a little bit more sedate? I was thinking of taking it to the extreme myself...

ALSO! I used an Ebow for the airy sound below the syncopated arpeggio riff. Never used one before but it was cool! Does this work musicaly? Or should I scrap that idea and come up with something midi generated for the backing?

I know the sound is crap at the moment, but I will be tweaking the mix to get it more along the lines of "Beyond Our Universe" (track in my sig file). All the guitars will be run through an Eventide Eclipse which changes everything, and the drums need to be 100% EQ'd. So bear with me. Just looking for some feedback and pointers in this early phase of recording.
Thanks!

Here it is http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showmp3.asp?mp3id=29700&aid=4890

I have some shred work to, do you know how I can put it in this forum?
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.