I dont care, I STILL PLAY BETTER THAN YOU!!

Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
06/19/2001 8:24 am
Ok I admit it, I play a Korean made Washburn! but to all the people at our school who came in with gibson's and ibanezs and fenders, you couldnt match my speed could you?!! My guitar may not be the top of the line, it may not have the vine inlay (which is cool though) and hell, it might even be a 7 string to with a floyd rose! (EVERYONE says they hate 7 strings) but damnit you couldnt even play half as good as me, so to all of you who laugh at my guitar, just wait and see what the it will do to yours!

(btw i do have a les paul but i just love my washburn so much, it was one of my first guitars, so its kinda like your first girlfriend, ya know?)
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
06/19/2001 12:13 pm
Expensive gear doesn't make a good player, I think everyone will agree with me on that one.

But be careful about saying how incredibly good you are, that's just not a cool thing to do.

# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/19/2001 4:52 pm
There are bsically four ways that people can relate to you.

1. People who like you for the wrong reasons.
2. People who like you for the right reasons.
3. People who dislike you for the wrong reasons.
4. People who dislike you for the right reasons.

Of these groups, only the last bunch need concern you. And rants like that one give them plenty of good cause. If you play as well as you possibly can, and you're still working on getting better than that, others are free to think anything they damnwell please. Not your problem.

Don't let the bastards get you down!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Fenderblues
Fenderblues
06/19/2001 7:35 pm
Er, non of us are as good as we might think we are, and those who boast most are trying to make up for their misgivings and shortcomings, to be said to be the best by others counts, but self proclemation meens very little.
(I'm not having a go at you, because you are probably letting off steam and speaking a little tongue in cheek. We are a community in the guitar sense and all have different opinions on guitars, amps, effects, bands, etc.etc.etc.)

Then again you know these people you are aiming your comments at and if they are guitarist in the real sense then they would keep siily comments to themselves and realise that it is difference which makes us unique.
If thay just call or put down your equippment or style or playing then freinds they are not nor are they genuine guitarists.

The only one you should compete with is YOUSELF. After all we are our own worst critics, slave drivers and taskmasters.

The guitar is basically a tool, and there for I believe it is the player who makes the guitar and not the guitar who makes the player. A Bad Workman Blames his tools! And saying that if your tool (mind the pun) suits you keep it. Don;t fix what ain't broke.

I've seen Eddie Allen (Fender demo man etc) make a cheap £80. guitar sound and play just as good as he did with the £1000.+ guitars.
While I'm sat here, Playin', I'm tryin' to free my mind!
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/20/2001 2:35 am

What is the point of this thread?
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/20/2001 9:30 pm
I've been trying to figure that out myself.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
06/21/2001 5:20 am
ITS A THREAT!!! MUAHAHHAHA =D
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 7
Willdridge
Willdridge
06/24/2001 10:08 am
I don't know, you go away for a few weeks because you don't have time to log in and post your thoughts and look what happens - People go mad:- "MUAHAHHAHA", it's kinda like some insane scientist. Sweet, :).
I think it's been taken as, hopefully, it was meant. Lighthearted. Be careful though Vai, Lordsathestring was right, plenty of reason for some people just to think you're an arrogant get. I don't, I don't think anyone here does; and who knows, maybe you do play better than everyone else here, but there's no easy way of proving it.
Still, don't let all that get in the way of madness, go crazy!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 8
Locrian
Locrian
07/01/2001 10:33 pm
I hate conceited people

don't be one
# 9
Joseph
Joseph
07/01/2001 11:04 pm
Well, I'm glad you had a good time blowing away your competition, (or so it seems) but still, I'm very confident with my no name nylon string (inexpensive) acoutic guitar whenever the road calls my name. I love to play various styles at different speeds for hours and hours at a time, and whether or not my music catches the attention of others, or impresses the heck out of them is the least bit of my concerns. What matters most to me is whether or not I'm getting enough out out my practice session, and before its all over If I can say with confidence that I learned some new tricks...A lot of people are very easily discouraged from watching others play something that can't imediately do, so they create a good defensive re-action. But its not frightening when you hear something totally out of the blue, a style that you've never heard befre. If anything its enlightening to know that there are others trying very hard to play againast the grain instead of conforming to whats popular.

So all in all, who doesn't prefer expensive equipment, but still I can play just as comfortable with a peavey raptor, as long as I have that strong desire within my soul...
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 10
SteelSlider
SteelSlider
07/02/2001 6:15 am
Hmmm. Sounds to me like that cord to his head is shortin' out.
Fry baby.

There is always someone better than you. Always. Always.
Talk is just that. Talk, and it's cheap.
Is he trying to convince us he's good, or himself?
Slidin' on.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.