First song

SPL
SPL
11/07/2005 11:05 pm
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=431416

Hey guys, I just spent the last two days working on this one. This is the first time I recorded guitars AND bass, plus I dragged and dropped every drum hit by hand. Lots of work, but I learned a lot from it. Plus, it's the first time ever I actually recorded a somewhat "finished" song (eventhough it is lacking vocals).
I didn't spend much time mixing this, so the overall quality isn't the cleanest. If/when I clean that up, I'll replace the MP3 on the site.

Anyway, it's up to you now. Any comments, both negative and positive, are deeply appreciated. In particular I'm looking for comments on song structure and/or the drum patterns. But ANY comments are more than welcome.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/08/2005 12:03 am
Done well man, it is a little too squeaky clinically clean for me, I prefer a more organic guitar however it is clear that you have made a good effort ! I particularly like the big ringey Bob Mould esq chords, too cool !!

Are you going to add vocals / other instruments ? At the moment, to me the dynamics say, ok hold on we are going some place really interesting but haven't quite got there yet !

lots of potential !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
SPL
SPL
11/08/2005 1:07 am
Thanks for the comments DrSimon.

I'll take the "squeaky clinically clean" as a compliment. :D
I was aiming at a bit of an industrial sound, so I tried to keep things as "tight" as possible.

I'd love to add vocals to it, but I'm not much of a vocalist myself so I'll have to see if I can find someone to do it for me.
As far as adding other instruments... perhaps some keys or synth, haven't really thought about that yet. Any suggestions anybody?

I agree on your comment on the dynamics. I figured some nice vocals would finish things up, make it more complete.

All in all, this recording was more of an experiment/exercise with recording than it was meant to be a finished song. But perhaps it can be made into something...
# 3
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/08/2005 2:13 am
This is very cool. The drums must have been a biatch!
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 4
SPL
SPL
11/08/2005 4:32 am
Thanks!

And yes the drums were quite a b*tch. Just need to figure out how to trigger and record those samples with my keyboard and I'll be set.
# 5
SPL
SPL
11/09/2005 5:18 am
Keys are a whole new territory for me, but I've been giving it a try.
# 6
Hamberg
Hamberg
11/13/2005 7:42 pm
That rocks big time.

crits:
Didn't like some of the chords in the progression of the chorus
Didn't like the lead guitar on the bridge
Didn't like the arrangment (particularly how it goes back to the riff b4 the bridge)

The riff is awesome
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 7
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/13/2005 8:39 pm
Originally Posted by: SPLhttp://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=431416

Hey guys, I just spent the last two days working on this one. This is the first time I recorded guitars AND bass, plus I dragged and dropped every drum hit by hand. Lots of work, but I learned a lot from it. Plus, it's the first time ever I actually recorded a somewhat "finished" song (eventhough it is lacking vocals).
I didn't spend much time mixing this, so the overall quality isn't the cleanest. If/when I clean that up, I'll replace the MP3 on the site.

Anyway, it's up to you now. Any comments, both negative and positive, are deeply appreciated. In particular I'm looking for comments on song structure and/or the drum patterns. But ANY comments are more than welcome.

wow, it has something, that's for sure.
but still, you really should thinks of an melody and a solo. then it's really done, I thinks. BUt I did like the Bridge you did.With those long chords. awesome.

but you definitely need to shred, you miss al the fun :D
# 8
SPL
SPL
11/14/2005 4:17 pm
Thanks for the comments guys.

Originally Posted by: zoran the darkbut you definitely need to shred, you miss al the fun :D

As long as I'm no good at it, I won't record any "shredding." ;)
# 9
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/14/2005 6:41 pm
Originally Posted by: SPLThanks for the comments guys.

As long as I'm no good at it, I won't record any "shredding." ;)

Good thinking :rolleyes:
# 10
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/16/2005 3:15 am
Wow i really like this song a lot, personally a little too distorted for my taste because the riffs are a little more "happy" then the distortion is. Some key riffs are repeated a little too many times but i suppose with vocals it wouldnt seem this way. The guitar at about 1:46 is increadible and it really makes me sad that there is no like wailing solo with that exact sound. All in all not a bad song, i listened to the whole thing, when the drums picked up it sounded awesome. Nice job. :cool:
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 11
SPL
SPL
11/16/2005 3:51 pm
Thanks for the input.

I've been trying to change the arrangment a little, make it sound like more of a song even without any vocals... When I was recording I pretty much came up with it within a matter of minutes while paying more attention to the whole recording aspect. Now that I have my setup complete and conveniently located I'll be able to focus more on songwriting.
# 12
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/16/2005 6:43 pm
LoL akira, yes sig is looking good, remember that post with iiholly haha, funny stuff, but anyways good song peace out.

--- "keep shreddin'" -me
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.