I NEED a new guitar!!!

SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/07/2005 9:58 pm
ive known this community to be very experienced and knowledgable so i trust that i can obtain some good advice here because this is a big decition. I currently have a cheap off brand electric guitar from a local guitar shop and im looking to upgrade with a price range of 450-700 dollars. some brands ive been looking into include, fender, bc rich, rogue, ibanez, jackson, and epiphone. i play primarily heavy metal but i dont want a guitar that sounds gritty when clean like ive heard about bc riches. anyone have any good recomendations for my price range¿ anything at all would be greatly appreaciated because frankly, i dont know where to look.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 1
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
11/08/2005 12:49 am
try the lower priced Satriani model http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519400/c_lv=1/ . If its like it's big brother it should cover all style easily.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 2
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/08/2005 5:16 am
Hmmm well if jacksons are made primarily for metal then this will be the 2nd recomendation I have gotten to go with jackson. Our lead guitarist has a jackson and I've also gotten a reccomendation to them from our rythm guitarist. It looks like im going to be going with jackson then because i've heard them played and I love their tone. The strani Ibanez doesen't look to bad but still, i like jacksons body styles much better. One last question, do jacksons sound good clean?
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 3
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
11/08/2005 5:36 am
I think the middle-range ESP LTD models are nice guitars. I played the Les Paul looking one (EC400 LTD or something). Personally, I thought it was rather comfortable. A lot lighter than a Gibson too.
# 4
16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
11/08/2005 5:40 am
a friend of mine has a BC rich warlock. its a verry nice guitar. i would defentley look into it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/517222/sourceid=qIrKQ3A75AVpAlUaHhZW/befree_site_id=0039131678
here is the gibson sg special, also a verry nice guitar in your range

good luck
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers
Ringing in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette
Rememb'rin' what she said
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI'm a super hero. It's what I do.
# 5
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/08/2005 11:44 am
As far as Les Pauls go, the body style and tone are more classic and a bc rich warlock body style and tone would probably be exactly what im looking for considering that i play metal. I've looked into les pauls in the past and they are great for blues but not SOO great when distorted. They are great guitars but still a little too classic for me.

B. C. Riches I have heard sound gritty when clean cuz the pickups are soo tailerd to metal that playing anything but metal just doesent sound too good. That SG looks nice so I think im probalby going to go with either gibson or jackson.
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 6
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/08/2005 1:25 pm
Why ask if they sound good clean if your lead guitarist has one? Get him to let you play it with your amp.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 7
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/08/2005 8:10 pm
I'd go with that idea...the sg or Jackson...any guitar good enough for Toni Iommi or Randy Rhoads is certainly good enough for me...and how much more metal do you want?

as for the Les Paul, dont be fooled...although it is an old body design and associated with classic rock, those guitars are definately tops for metal as well, so much so that Guitar World magazine rated them as the top metal guitar in their metal issue (was it April? I think)last year...

Bc Rich I find crap...I wouldnt go near them...I say look at the Jacksons(reluctantly) or the Gibson options (an sg special is a very very very nice axe.)
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 8
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
11/08/2005 9:19 pm
play around and see what you like.

personally, i really like parker guitars and i've yet to be let down by any that i've played and the ones in your price range are high quality.

check out the parker p-series...they're not guitars for everyone but they are quality.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 9
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
11/08/2005 9:28 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew Sathe Gibson options (an sg special is a very very very nice axe.)

gibsons aren't nearly the quality they used to be....anyone getting a gibson should play the guitars before they buy it and look at everything. my friend got an SG faded and his bridge didn't even have the string saddles cut in!
# 10
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/08/2005 10:53 pm
Ahhhh I’m so confused. Now Im hearing that Les pauls were voted best for metal tone but as any metal guitarist knows, you want your axe to look bad ass especially when performing and Les pauls body style, although classic and instantly recognizable, just isn’t what I’m going for. I've heard some bad stuff about BC riches but yeah anyways, I’ve ruled out a les pauls rogues and i've never even heard of parker so yeah.

This purchase will probably take place in the next month or so, so im going to continue browsing and I really appreciate your guys' suggestions.
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 11
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
11/08/2005 11:08 pm
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionAhhhh I’m so confused. Now Im hearing that Les pauls were voted best for metal tone but as any metal guitarist knows, you want your axe to look bad ass especially when performing and Les pauls body style, although classic and instantly recognizable, just isn’t what I’m going for. I've heard some bad stuff about BC riches but yeah anyways, I’ve ruled out a les pauls rogues and i've never even heard of parker so yeah.

This purchase will probably take place in the next month or so, so im going to continue browsing and I really appreciate your guys' suggestions.

www.deanguitars.com

seems more like it'd be what you're looking for....or do you mean LTD style with the F series?
# 12
16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
11/09/2005 12:53 am
i really like the bc rich's. go to the local shop, and try one, im prety shure you wont be let down :)
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers
Ringing in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette
Rememb'rin' what she said
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI'm a super hero. It's what I do.
# 13
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
11/09/2005 2:29 am
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionAs far as Les Pauls go, the body style and tone are more classic and a bc rich warlock body style and tone would probably be exactly what im looking for considering that i play metal. I've looked into les pauls in the past and they are great for blues but not SOO great when distorted. They are great guitars but still a little too classic for me.

Well ESPs are known as metal guitars and are up there in popularity with Jacksons. Hammet, Hetfield, Jeff Hanneman, Alexi Lahio, Max Cavalera, Dave Mustaine, George Lynch all play ESP so I'm sure you get where I'm going.

The ESP Les Paul isnt really like a Les Paul. Thinner body, thinner neck, higher output pickups...if you just don't like the LP body style, there are other LTD models besides the EC. That model just happens to be the one that I played. www.espguitars.com
# 14
gogogo
gogogo
11/09/2005 3:55 am
Like afore mentioned check out dean guitars the Dime O Flame is a beast for 799 bucks at musiciansfriend. Plus if your going for that metal look this axe is almost uncompareable...unless you get a custom paint job.
# 15
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/09/2005 4:25 am
My mind changes every time I check back at this thread. ESP has officically been added to my list of possible options. Ahh its all so confusing. That Issue of guitar world is really swaying my opinion.
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 16
DISCIPLEofMETAL
DISCIPLEofMETAL
11/09/2005 1:52 pm
I own 2 jackson guitars and have owned a fender in the past. i found that fender was a very versitile guitar and had great tones, but if you want a guitar that is pretty much built for playing metal, then go with jackson. they're also very affordable if you find the right model. the dinky models are well priced. as for gibsons, they are amazing instruments but they're charging alot more for them nowadays. if gibson was a prime chice for you take a step down and settle for epiphone which is still a wicked ax.

buying guitars is avery touchy subject. i also recommend just trying as many different guitars as you can until you find one that feels right for you.
Get rollin, or get rolled over!-diamond darrell
# 17
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/09/2005 7:01 pm
I own a gibson sg special faded. it's an amazing guitar! I play metal on it daily, and it sounds great when played clean. you really will not be disappointed with this guitar.

I have also played a low-end ESP, and for the price it is a very nice guitar, I'm sure if you got an ESP in you price range it would be even nicer. however, alot of ESPs have active EMG pickups, these are great for metal, however, from what I've heard they are terrible when playing clean. but if you can find an ESP with some duncans, that would probably be a great guitar.

I've never used a jackson, and can't speak for them personally, but I hear good things.

So, I say the gibson, or if you'd rather, then go with the ESP... they have different feels, neck shapes, etc. so, if I were you I would try them both out and see which you like better.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 18
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/09/2005 9:59 pm
Trust me, the gibson and a jackson are both on my mind. Mainly jackson because of how well they are tailerd to metal and the body styles jackson offers as well as their slim necks which are great for darting around the fretboard. I'll probably end up going with jackson because of how much i've heard about them but i WILL take your guys' recomendation and head over to a local guitar center to find somthing thats right for me. Thank all of you guys for your advice, it has helped me IMMENSLEY, to all of you who have contributed thank you very, very much.
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 19
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
11/10/2005 12:23 am
for once, im not going to recomend a fender...well, if you want a whole range of sounds...but for a good metal guitar...epiphone, if you've got 700, but there are some les paul melody maker for something around 500...the sites i reccomend to look at are...

musiciansfriend.com(alot of gibson)
Guitartrader.com(alot of fender, alot of other brands too,not good for gibson though
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.