I NEED a new guitar!!!

SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/10/2005 7:51 am
I haven't heard that epiphones are good for metal, I know they are all around good guitars but i haven't really heard them placed or tailered to any genre of music. I'll probably end up going with a jackson althought I just got offered to buy really really nice les paul from a friend of mine.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/10/2005 9:57 am
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionI've looked into les pauls in the past and they are great for blues but not SOO great when distorted. They are great guitars but still a little too classic.

Hey some great guitarist like Zakk Wylde play LPs for metal. Given the proper Hookup like the 81-85 EMG's an LP can crank out the metal. I've got an Invader and a dimebucker in mine and it works great.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/10/2005 10:10 am
Hmm not bad, those are some FUNKY inlays lol. I'm sure with the right pickups LP's are great for metal but i'm not looking to change my pickups immedatley unless the price in the lower area of my price range. And I just can't get over the les paul body style, it is very hard around the edges and just looks like a blues guitar to me no matter what is painted onto it.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/10/2005 4:37 pm
two letters... SG... I've seen countless metal bands using them. and I use mine for metal ALL THE TIME! I play alot of metal with mine, it sounds great! an SG is a very similar sound to a les paul, without that "blues" guitar look. I find the horns on my SG very sexy and very metal. no pickup change needed for it.

and if you still say no... check out the gibson faded flying V, same price as the SG faded, but it's a V (very metal) and it's got high output ceramic pickups (496R & 500T)
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 4
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/10/2005 8:54 pm
you seem to have a thing against Les Pauls (which is stupid in my opinion, but each to his own) but as such I think you should definately not buy one...yet.

whilst tone/sound and feel are all very important...the feeling you get about a guitar is also important...a Lp that sounds great, but doesnt inspire you in no good at all...so I would go with the Jackson option...you made your mind up a long time ago...and you know it!
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 5
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/11/2005 12:06 am
Jackson guitars are on sale at Musicians Friend. They got some good deals!
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 6
alucard0941
alucard0941
11/11/2005 4:04 am
If I were you, DO NOT make your decision based on this thread.

Its good that that your asking for opinions, and many guitar recomended you may not like.

Just go to a local guitar store and play very guitar they have. Dont be too concered about the brand. Reputation is all diluted now, we live in 2005 where some no-name-brands kick asses of even Fenders and Gibsons.

If your buying a middle end guitar, which I think you are, the brand reputation doesnt really kick in until the prices are over $1000+

Some tips:
Low end Jacksons are not good.(>$500) If you want to buy a Jackson, and want to be satisfyed, expexct to buy a USA Jackson for 1000. Low end Jacksons are a piece of junk and really dont live up to their reputation.

On the other hand, ESP is somewhat the opposite, for 500 bucks, you will find a better ESP than a Jackson, yet at a 1000, you will find a better Jackson than ESP. ( this a VERY rough generalization, there may be MANY exceptions)

Gibsons are overpriced just because they were the first electric guitars in the world... If you willing to spend 2000 on a Gibson USA, you should really look into some handmade guitars. They will blow your mind away when you play a single note. Pure tone, nothing else.

B.C. Rich guitars are my least favorite electric guitars because they are nothing but electronics. No wood involved, only the pickups. Any guitar that actually advertizes themselves are being "Metal" usually arent metal. And their pups are usually WAY ecelled on the output creating massive feedback.

Just a consideration, what kind of amp do you have? When playing high distorted music, your amp really has a larger effect than the guitar. Make sure your pups of your guitar arent too high outputed and your amp isnt to "fender-like". That will be like putting water into acid.

If possible, buy your guitar according to your amp. You want their tone to match and not really having an extreme on either end.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 7
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/11/2005 10:18 am
you must also remember that amps and pedals can change alot.
Andreas Kisser plays most of his **** on a Fender.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 8
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/11/2005 10:43 am
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionive known this community to be very experienced and knowledgable so i trust that i can obtain some good advice here because this is a big decition. I currently have a cheap off brand electric guitar from a local guitar shop and im looking to upgrade with a price range of 450-700 dollars. some brands ive been looking into include, fender, bc rich, rogue, ibanez, jackson, and epiphone. i play primarily heavy metal but i dont want a guitar that sounds gritty when clean like ive heard about bc riches. anyone have any good recomendations for my price rangeĀæ anything at all would be greatly appreaciated because frankly, i dont know where to look.

if you really want a good guitar you should look for an Epiphone or les paul like guitars. but not nessarely. maghony-necks ar good and very slightfriendly.and otherwise you look for an Ibanez. BC rich can detune very fast, that's my experience with those guitars

srry bout the bad english :rolleyes:
# 9
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/11/2005 6:45 pm
and in comes alucard to dampen our spirits and make us feel like our opinions don't matter...

but, his advice is good advice. I would play around with anything and everything in all price ranges, and choose what you like from them. however, not all of us have this luxury of having a guitar store nearby that stocks tons of different brands... most of the shops around me only stock 1 or 2 different brands. I can find a good shop if I drive out to the guitar center in san fransisco. but that's about an hour and a half away from me. and I don't always have that much time (or gas) to blow.
my spyspace
# 10
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/11/2005 7:02 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsand in comes alucard to dampen our spirits and make us feel like our opinions don't matter...

but, his advice is good advice. I would play around with anything and everything in all price ranges, and choose what you like from them. however, not all of us have this luxury of having a guitar store nearby that stocks tons of different brands... most of the shops around me only stock 1 or 2 different brands. I can find a good shop if I drive out to the guitar center in san fransisco. but that's about an hour and a half away from me. and I don't always have that much time (or gas) to blow.

well, I bought my guitar to in an area that was wider than 10 km. and that is usually a good thing. Those people will certainly help you. But before you enter a big store, make sure you know what you will find, it really helped :D
# 11
alucard0941
alucard0941
11/11/2005 10:08 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrs
but, his advice is good advice. [/QUOTE]

thanks

[QUOTE=6strngs_2hmbkrs]and in comes alucard to dampen our spirits and make us feel like our opinions don't matter...

thanks

..I think :confused:
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 12
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/11/2005 11:35 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941thanks

thanks

..I think :confused:

I was just joking with the first sentance... don't take everything I say so seriously...

but anyways!

I went to a guitar shop today, a nice big one. and played like 20 different guitars... alot of them were ibanez RGs, but I played a jackson, some ESPs, a telecaster, etc.

but, then towards the end, I grabbed a dean... this one... and wow, my jaw dropped, it was such a nice guitar! you wouldn't think a $200 guitar would be all that great, but it was.. I didn't look at the price tag before I started playing it, and I didn't know what to expect. but it just played sooo nicely, and then I plugged it in and it sounded awesome! honestly, if I closed my eyes I would not expect it to be a $200 guitar... it sounded better then my gibson for metal... gibson still beat this in the blues, clean, and light overdrive settings. but this was a guitar great for metal, and the clean sound wasn't terrible, it just wasn't as good as my gibson... of course, after taking the guitar over to a mesa amp to see what it sounded like with that, a store employee came over and was like "anything in particular you are looking for?" and I was considering buying the guitar, but I said "not really, just trying some stuff out right now" and he's like "well, I can't have you going around the store playing whatever you want." even though a different employee told me that I could... so I got up, left, and I will never go to that store again. which is ok, because their prices are insane... the dean guitar I wanted was $369.99 at that shop, it's $199 on musicians friend!!!
my spyspace
# 13
alucard0941
alucard0941
11/12/2005 12:07 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsI was just joking with the first sentance... don't take everything I say so seriously...

lol I know dude, :)

there really need to be a smily in this forum about a bozo comment.

like this:

dude, you should of gave that employee a slap.
...bad customer service :mad:
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 14
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/12/2005 3:44 am
OMG hahaha you guys are awesome, I'm going to head over to my local guitar center asap and put all the knowledge i've learned from you guys to the test. i'll write out a list of guitars to try and bring along my phone and make some recordings. I've got a CRATE FTX65 so i'll play everything on that and see how it sounds, anyways thanks for the great advice again guys.
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 15
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/12/2005 4:56 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraWTF?! I would have had the biggest rant at that employee if I was in your shoes (and then left never to return of course), seriously though, how stupid is that?

The store where I realised the Soloist was my dream guitar, me and a friend played an various guitar through various amps for 3 hours, and they didn't bug us once; they were very helpful throughout.

yeah, I was in there for over an hour before someone said anything to me... but still.. I'm going to find a new shop... I'm going to ask my local shop (which stocks dean guitars) if they can special order that one that I want. I loved that guitar!
my spyspace
# 16
stackny
stackny
11/12/2005 5:50 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsyeah, I was in there for over an hour before someone said anything to me... but still.. I'm going to find a new shop... I'm going to ask my local shop (which stocks dean guitars) if they can special order that one that I want. I loved that guitar!

Dude, I wouldve flipped. I wouldve made sure the manager found out they just lost a sale for being so rude, and that everyone you knew would find out about it. I hate it when people have to be unfriendly and stupid for no reason.

The guitar place I go to, they basically bother you to play something. They want you to play a low priced, medium priced, and expensive guitar just to see the difference. And theyl match any price you can find online.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 17
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
11/12/2005 10:04 pm
umm, id go with an american strat, 450-700 is a good price for em. I'd also look for anytype of strat.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 18
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/13/2005 6:59 am
Went to the guitar center today and played some jacksons and compared the differences. The tone dind't get really good until about the 900 dollar range. The best tone (the kind of tone im looking for) i would have to say was the soloist. I absolutley LOVED the jumbo frets cuz i've never played a guitar with jumbo frets and it was so easy to fret notes quickly, less effort had to be used.

All the jacksons in the shape of a V slid right off my knee when i was sitting down. somthing i didnt even think about was comfort! the soloist was light and VERY comfortable while some of the more metal looking ones were very uncomfortable and difficult to start playing.

I tried out some les pauls too and when i heard the tone my face immediatley turned to a discusted one and an employee laughed and said "what are you looking for?" I told him somthing to play metal on and he said to look into jackson and i said i already was. He asked me my price range and he pointd a few out to me. I didn't remember them by model number i just remember them by price and price alone.

The higher priced jacksons were good while the lower end ones just sounded mediocre. I also tried out a bc rich just to get a laugh and i was suprised when it brought out just as good as tone as the lower end jacksons in the same price range. ONLY problem being that clean it sounded a little fuzzy there there was some kind of fuzz or fog preventing it from being perfectly clean. really weird.

anyways, i have yet to try out some esps so i'll probably go back again multiple times in the future, maybe even tomorrow.
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 19
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/13/2005 7:23 am
try out some deans too. trust me, I wasn't big on deans until I actually played one. also try some ibanez ones too.
my spyspace
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.