I NEED a new guitar!!!

z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/13/2005 8:31 am
i have jackson randy rhodes v with evo pickups (jackson pups were ok but i wanted hotter) and it is great for metal. very fast neck and wicked looks.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 1
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/14/2005 6:05 am
Not sure but it had two EMG-HG's, a type of pickup i've never seen before. its a flat surface and i guess its new technology or somthing. And yeah i've only been playing for 7 months and this is my first time looking into upgrading my $215 junky infinity guitar. I'm learning bit by bit but its difficult with so many choices.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/14/2005 7:29 am
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionNot sure but it had two EMG-HG's, a type of pickup i've never seen before. its a flat surface and i guess its new technology or somthing. And yeah i've only been playing for 7 months and this is my first time looking into upgrading my $215 junky infinity guitar. I'm learning bit by bit but its difficult with so many choices.

I can't remember if this has been asked yet this thread... but what kind of amp are you using? if you've only been playing 7 months, I would assume it's something pretty bad... dude, the amp makes a much bigger affect on your tone then the guitar does. if I were you, I would get a new amp instead. something with tubes... those peavey valveking amps look tasty at a mere $400, and if it isn't metal enough for you, through a distortion pedal in there. I'm positive you would get a better sound with a $215 guitar with a $450-700 amp then you would with a $450-700 guitar with a cheap amp... just saying... but maybe you've already upgraded your amp, and now you need a guitar... this i do not know. but it just occured to me.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/14/2005 4:03 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsI can't remember if this has been asked yet this thread... but what kind of amp are you using? if you've only been playing 7 months, I would assume it's something pretty bad... dude, the amp makes a much bigger affect on your tone then the guitar does. if I were you, I would get a new amp instead. something with tubes... those peavey valveking amps look tasty at a mere $400, and if it isn't metal enough for you, through a distortion pedal in there. I'm positive you would get a better sound with a $215 guitar with a $450-700 amp then you would with a $450-700 guitar with a cheap amp... just saying... but maybe you've already upgraded your amp, and now you need a guitar... this i do not know. but it just occured to me.

yeah i actually just upgraded my 9 watt jay turser amp. to a 65 watt crate fxt65. cost me a cool 280 bucks and it was quite an upgrade so im really looking to upgrade my guitar at this point. i've heard some bad things about crates but im only a begginer and i just want to play metal. for the price it was the best deal i could find. plus i needed somthing i could take on the go and the fxt120 was pushing it. maybe i should upgrade my amp i guess but im really not sure i mean i JUST GOT this thing on november 3rd. it still has that brand new amp smell. maybe im looking too far ahed to upgrade my guitar i dont know but that is why i turned to the forum for answers.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/14/2005 6:39 pm
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionyeah i actually just upgraded my 9 watt jay turser amp. to a 65 watt crate fxt65. cost me a cool 280 bucks and it was quite an upgrade so im really looking to upgrade my guitar at this point. i've heard some bad things about crates but im only a begginer and i just want to play metal. for the price it was the best deal i could find. plus i needed somthing i could take on the go and the fxt120 was pushing it. maybe i should upgrade my amp i guess but im really not sure i mean i JUST GOT this thing on november 3rd. it still has that brand new amp smell. maybe im looking too far ahed to upgrade my guitar i dont know but that is why i turned to the forum for answers.

no no, you don't need to upgrade your amp unless you feel you need to. I was just figuring you were still using a 15W sub-$100 amp, like most beginners start with.

I've also heard many bad things about crate, but I've also heard a friend of mine get some awesome tones out of one. so don't worry about it. go ahead and get a guitar!
my spyspace
# 5
Axes
Punky
Axes
Punky
11/14/2005 7:00 pm
I wrote to another topic, too, but it seems this is checked more:
Hey!
Got the same question - what guitar shall I get? I'm playing for 5 months now, some pros told me that I'm doing good, I had a Vorson SM-1 guitar (some Hungarian sh*t), but I'm looking for a guitar with better quality and sound. So, I'm asking for your help :)
I found a few axes I could use, like Epi LPs or the LTD 250 series, but I think you know it lotta better than me ;)

So, what's your advice?

Sorry for my English, I'm Hungarian and 15 yrs old :rolleyes:

Thx in advance!
Richard (A.K.A. Axes)
Just playin' for 5 months... But I feel myself like playing for 10 years :D
# 6
gogogo
gogogo
11/14/2005 7:06 pm
Don't worry about your english, considering you speak better than a lot of americans I hear around here. What type of music are you looking to play??
# 7
Axes
Punky
Axes
Punky
11/14/2005 7:08 pm
Originally Posted by: gogogoDon't worry about your english, considering you speak better than a lot of americans I hear around here. What type of music are you looking to play??

I'd like to play metal and punk styles.
Thx for your kind help sir!
Just playin' for 5 months... But I feel myself like playing for 10 years :D
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/14/2005 7:58 pm
Originally Posted by: AxesI'd like to play metal and punk styles.
Thx for your kind help sir!

damn, 15 year old hungarians have alot more respect for things then 15 year olds in america... lol

but anyways, read through this thread, alot of guitars have already been recommended to suit your style of playing.
my spyspace
# 9
alucard0941
alucard0941
11/14/2005 10:22 pm
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionWent to the guitar center today and played some jacksons and compared the differences. The tone dind't get really good until about the 900 dollar range. The best tone (the kind of tone im looking for) i would have to say was the soloist. I absolutley LOVED the jumbo frets cuz i've never played a guitar with jumbo frets and it was so easy to fret notes quickly, less effort had to be used.

yea dude, I love soloists. They are real shred guitars, and quite versitle in their genra. I love that semi-beefy neck which helps bending but still complements sweeping.

If you like the Soloists, the more price friendly version is the Dinky. Same physical specs (shape...) exept the electrons, pickups, and its not build to presicion as the Solist.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 10
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/15/2005 2:08 am
Yeah plus the dinky has a whammy bar. Only problem being that I tried the dinky's and the tone wasnt much better then same priced bc. riches. The increase in tone was large enough to where i'd think about making the extra leap in cash. LoL this thread is going to become an official I NEED A NEW GUIAR thread. They should sticky it. :p
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 11
NightProwler
NightProwler
11/16/2005 11:21 pm
Hands down with your budget I would buy look to buying a washburn with the buzz feiten tuning system and they do sell them in your price range ! The X series and or the Pilsen . Go try 1 at your local music store! :p Washburns are the most premium guitar at a discounted rate you will find.... I personally dont care for big name brands since tone and Intonation are the 2 things I look for in a guitar. Everything else is bs!
# 12
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/17/2005 7:26 pm
hahaha thats quite a statement there. i mean jacksons are great and they are big. lookat gibson and les pauls, great tone and they are the most well known. the big brands arent big for no reason. i havent heard or seen any washborns. ill look into them as well as deans because im open to almost anything and i have as long as i want to make my decition. are washborns good for metal though? what kind of tone do they produce and what range of price are they the best?
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.