System Of A Down

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/21/2005 7:04 pm
Originally Posted by: WilldridgeMaybe they were, maybe they weren't - but does it really matter if the lyrics have appeared in other songs? Using someone else's song as inspiration is no worse than an artist referencing their own (Bowie's "Ashes to ashes, funk to funkie, we know Major Tom's a junkie") in my opinion.
You're right about all those elements you've mentioned, and they're also tight as a unit - and they have stage presence.

I've seen them live and, Jolly, saying that they can't play suggests to me you've never taken the time to actually listen to them.

I have one last thought, because this debate and it's "my opinions" are starting to go around in circles...Jolly, and anyone else for that matter - for someone who dislikes the band and their music so much, you seem to spend an awful lot of time thinking about it.
If you're so against their music, or even just them, why did you even read this thread, let alone spend time replying to it? Why not invest your time talking about the bands you do like on other threads? Or playing your guitar and recording the music that'll be the demise of System? Thereby, you'll never have to listen to System or their "moronic lyrics" again.

Just a thought.

First of all, inspiration and plagiarism are VERY different.

Second of all, I didn't say they couldn't play. I said they couldn't play well. The intro to BYOB alone should reveal how sloppy they really are.

Thrid of all, because it's no fun to talk about bands I like.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/21/2005 7:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonThrid of all, because it's no fun to talk about bands I like.

LMFAO....I'll be honest and say I was starting to think you were a bit of an opinionated arse, but you've just made me laugh with that line, so I think I'll have to reconsider that thought and say I'm misguided in that judgement. (I know I'm an opinionate arse, so as ever, no offence meant)

Inspiration and plagiarism are very different, you're right; but there's only so much that can be said about certain subjects before you start repeating another person's words, (or your own for that matter... :rolleyes: ) I can't see that line as plagiarism, just a nod to Sabbath - but then that's "my opinion"...different people see different things.

Again, having seen them live, I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement "they can't play well. Fine, perhaps Daron couldn't outplay Yngwie (who the hell can?), Satch, Vai, EVH, but he's not trying to - he's playing a very different style.
I would be interested to find a drummer that could play along with or outplay John though.

I go back to my earlier question, "Shall we just agree to disagree", but as long as it's fun, sod it, let's disagree to agree and carry on, eh? :p
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/21/2005 10:00 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOneatonally? no, he does a lot of middle-eastern style vocals... go listen to a CD of Armenian folk songs and you'll see some similarities. Maybe it isn't to your ear but that doesn't mean it's atonal. I think it sounds pretty cool.

I'm referring to when he just SCREAMS like "WHY DO THEY ALWAYS SEND THE POOOOR!?"

I know the difference between "not to my ear" and "atonal." I enjoy his actual singing when he does it. But when he just screams for no apparent reason (and you KNOW what I'm talking about), it's ridiculous. I've NEVER heard a folk song of ANY country that involved a high pitched scream for no reason.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/22/2005 2:35 am
Originally Posted by: 3rd_degreeburnSystem of a Down...hmmm...IMHO they are crap..." lets sing about how much we hate bush and the Iraqi war" jesus...how original...only like every other band out there is talkin about that ( Otep, lamb of god, unearth etc)
can people not come up with anything original now adays??
Elklandercc please note that this is a "volunteer army" as jolly mentioned...these people had other choices...they didnt have to join the military, no one was forcing them too, but insisted on doing so..Is there somthing wrong if your poor and want to do somthing with your life so you join the military? I don't believe so, but thats just me.
How exactly is congress keeping their sons safe at college? The poor could have stayed safe over here and not joined...there is no draft so no one is being forced to do anything...If SOAD thinks america is so bad..they can go back to their sh*t country..( offensive but thats how I feel)

Good points. But, poor people dont have a great chance to be excepted to college. They either cant afford it, cant get good enough grades, or can't afford proper clothes to look nice. If they go to the accetance desk looking scruffy with beaten up clothes, how will that look. They are almost forced to join so they can at least get free college or get the job thats easiest to obtain. I know that they could bust their but for a better life, but its not their fault they were born poor. If the government wasn't spending money for wars and immagrant's healthcare, they would have more to spend to better the unfortunate. I'm surprised the hurricane victims are doing as good as they are. Also, soad has been doing more than just writing music about hatred of bush/government. They are stepping forth and trying to make a difference. I'm not sure if the other Bush hater bands are doing the same, but credit soad for doing so. If my memory serves me right, only one congress man had their son vounteer while the others turned their back when the subject came up.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
10/22/2005 7:45 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccGood points. But, poor people dont have a great chance to be excepted to college. They either cant afford it, cant get good enough grades, or can't afford proper clothes to look nice. If they go to the accetance desk looking scruffy with beaten up clothes, how will that look. They are almost forced to join so they can at least get free college or get the job thats easiest to obtain. I know that they could bust their but for a better life, but its not their fault they were born poor. If the government wasn't spending money for wars and immagrant's healthcare, they would have more to spend to better the unfortunate. I'm surprised the hurricane victims are doing as good as they are.

Hold up. The "poor" people that make up the military are not the poor people u speak of who are "looking scruffy with beaten up clothes". The bums that beg for change on the streets aren't joining the army. And "poor" people can't get good grades? Why is this? I mean i'm sure it must be difficult growing up in a poor neighborhood, but poor doesnt equate to stupid. And as far as not being able to afford it; there are so many ways to pay for college whether its full or partial scholarships, student loans, etc... And serving in the army doesnt guarantee free college.

-"I know that they could bust their but for a better life, but its not their fault they were born poor."-

Hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks this came off sounding way ignorant. I could go on about this, but I'll leave that to someone else.

Btw, I am a fan of SOAD. Have been for a while.
# 5
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/23/2005 1:53 am
My intepretation of the word "poor" might differ from other's, but I've never thought of that song as meaning "poor" in the sense of "bums on the street". I've always thought SOAD simply mean it in the sense of people who don't decide to go to war - they're just the people that are there fighting the battles - be it out of voluntering for their country or via draft.

Look at the First World War - many a young man joined the army (where you were shamed if you didn't volenteer) because of love for their country; they still died a 'poor-man's-death' without a grave. I (personally) believe this is what System are trying to portray (we're back to the 'IMHO' situation!) be it the 'Great War', the recent Iraqi or any other.

I (IMHO, :rolleyes: ) think that people get too caught up on the symantic's of particular words...you're not wrong in what you're saying any of you, but it doesn't necessarily make you right either. (And by no means am I saying I'm right either).

Anyway! 'Hypnotize'...who's looking forward to it?!
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/23/2005 2:57 am
Originally Posted by: WilldridgeMy intepretation of the word "poor" might differ from other's, but I've never thought of that song as meaning "poor" in the sense of "bums on the street". I've always thought SOAD simply mean it in the sense of people who don't decide to go to war - they're just the people that are there fighting the battles - be it out of voluntering for their country or via draft.

Look at the First World War - many a young man joined the army (where you were shamed if you didn't volenteer) because of love for their country; they still died a 'poor-man's-death' without a grave. I (personally) believe this is what System are trying to portray (we're back to the 'IMHO' situation!) be it the 'Great War', the recent Iraqi or any other.

I (IMHO, :rolleyes: ) think that people get too caught up on the symantic's of particular words...you're not wrong in what you're saying any of you, but it doesn't necessarily make you right either. (And by no means am I saying I'm right either).

Anyway! 'Hypnotize'...who's looking forward to it?!

I'm looking forward to Hypnotize!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 7
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/23/2005 10:01 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI'm looking forward to Hypnotize!

A-roo?! But...wha....you...I....the....wha

Oh, sod it...

Hurray!....

:p
# 8
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/23/2005 6:28 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI'm looking forward to Hypnotize!

Do you have a little John Kerry in you?????? :D
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.