Dog-Gon Rappers

metalisbest
metalisbest
09/04/2002 1:08 am
I can't say that all rap sucks. Some rappers actullay have something and sing about real stuff. I'm mostly talking about DMX up to Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood. You can't say the song Slippin has no meaning at all. I also like some Ice Cube, DRE, and Snoop.
# 1
Kirk Hammett worshiper
Kirk Hammett worshiper
09/04/2002 4:01 am
Just because these guys know what they're talking about, doesn't mean they have musical talent. Guys like DMX may write their lyrics, but they don't write the music behind it, it's just a bunch of sampling and drum machine stuff.
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, but it can get pretty crappy these days.
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
09/04/2002 7:23 pm

The whole DJ phenomenon is something I just can't understand. They do nothing but play other people's music, maybe put on a goofy ass outfit and bop around a little bit, and they're treated like gods.

# 3
Kirk Hammett worshiper
Kirk Hammett worshiper
09/05/2002 1:51 pm
Well, they're only well thought of because people for some reason like that stuff because they think it sounds good, or they think they'll be cool if they do, or whatever, and these guys keep getting money from people buying their stuff. And if you have money, you get respect.
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, but it can get pretty crappy these days.
# 4
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/06/2002 10:49 pm
Originally posted by zepp_rules
Kirk Hammett is God, this is one time i'm going to have to agree with you. i also played stairway for my sister and she too hates it, she also said eruption was not a very good solo. it's so frustrating to see all these people listening and glorifying rap, which is just talking in front of an electric drum beat. it's sad to see any god**** person with limited talent make it big, while people like us work our asses off learning guitar. in addition, performers like britney spears and n'sync who don't even write their own songs, don't even sing live, they lip sync. all their talent is studio made. obviously, i'm very passionate about this subject, it just bugs me. don't even get me started about the show "pop stars," or "making the band."
one of the things i like about metallica, is that even though they are probably one of the most mainstream metal bands, they still write pure rock songs, something that is becoming a long lost art.

Let me tell you something. I use to hate manufactured bands to, untill I auditioned and joined a rock band and got on the Junos. Second of all, I know someone who's sister was on popstars, and if she didn't work her ass of to get there, she wouldn't have been there at all, so dont tell me all those bands dont have talent. Rappers dont maybe, but some people work hard to get where they are. I know that, having performed in the same band she was once in.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 5
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/07/2002 3:51 pm
I could care less if I was famouse or not, I just want to play guitar. My point is, it takes more than some talent to make it like that, its just another way of going about making it big.
One of reasons she made it on that popstars program, is because she has sung everything from Christina Agulara to Metallica. Theres something to be said for versatility here.
What I'm saying is, even though I dont like that poppy kind of music, some of them do have talent and are capable of much better music, but thats the kind of music they want to do.
As far as rap goes, its the worst excuse for talent I've ever come across. At least the people I've been talking about before can sing, rap is nothing but talking, uttering meaningless profanity and having a drum machine as a bandmate. If it werent the only musical option being offered to a lot of todays youth, it wouldn't be around. People would start noticing that other music is better sounding and more complex.
Take my sister for one. She likes rap, but I've made a rock fan out of her, and now she want to learn to play guitar.
-And it was good
# 6
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/07/2002 4:58 pm
I've been dying to post on this... and now i can...
so here come my [u]oppinions[/u]
Rap, to me is the only real alternative to melody... it's fundamentals are rythem and MEANINGS... it's a breath of fresh air from alot of the stuff i hate (eg def lepard).
I also love punk, and i've always thoughtthat rap was the black punk. It's very raw (: meaningit's hindered by proffesional production), it's to the point (perticularly stuff like public enemy), it's accesable to all, and you dont need to be very [u]technically[/u] gifted to do it. But in both song writting is what makes them so strong.
BOTH are very open to fads, fakes, and talentless wanna be, because all he's gotta do is have some vague intrest and a few months experince to make a start (that's not say that there aren't very skillful punks/ rappers).
Rap, is wonderful in it's accecibilaty, and it's very open nature. There are lots of different aproaches, it leave you and you imagination to do what you want. But it's very EASY to fake/ to copy, and you end up with producers who are good at producing/ making/ sampling the music rapping very badly (see "puff daddy").

Bustta ryhmes is the only excelent recent rapper i can name, "gimme some more" was excellent (it sampled the music from superman, and i was the only person in my area to notice it... mind you i did watch the film hundreds of times), and the vidoe is very very cool.
I've found that music, for me, needs to be a balance of melody, rythem, and SONG WRITTING... and there are lots of balances, not just the one. And the balances are also dependant on the listeners ears. Like with my tastes:
Lets take G'n'R for one, one of my most hated of all bands. People love them, yet i cant stand thier sound. I find it over produced, seriously lacking in decent lyrics, lacking in any decent artistic concepts, and sounding disengenous. But this is mostly because, my tastes lean heavily towards songwritting. But I've never said they weren't talented, (even though i strongly belive technical abillity never constitutes talent).
I LOVE nirvana, i like thier deeper songwritting, their more intresting approach to the whole song writting thing within the old "verse chorus verse" frame of reference, I like the clear honest melody, and the "human" guitar sound (rahter than sounding very sterile and over produced).

Also, rapping isn't as easy as it seems, I've been doing something similar, though it's not quite the same. Basically, you improvise a riff, and then once you have something decent, talk/ sing anything from the top of your head, a minute or 2, you'll find you'r self throwing together some very weak meanings and phrases etc etc, it's very dificult, but after a while you'll start to find some cool lyrics, and you start to stray away from clichied lyrics, and wont ryhme eyes/ skies etc etc.... it's a very cool excersise... as long as you never stop despite being short of ryhmes...
# 7
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/07/2002 5:41 pm
Just cause its hard to do something (come up with rap lyrics) doesn't make it good.
Lets see, if I had to choose between a good Van Halen song, or a song by, say DMX, I would choose Van Halen. Heres why.
Rock music usually involves singing, not talking. I find rap is more forced talking than singing. Granted you have an edge in rap if you have a rough voice, the same can be said for rock, the difference, you sing in rock. Also, rock music usualy requires more of a vocal range than rap. Listen to a Van Halen sond, then to DMX, like I said. Notice something? Rap is like a monotone thing, and rock, well, its got a lot more range.
I would also pick rock because they play they're own instruments, write they're own songs, ect. Rappers write they're own songs, but thats the extent of they're musical talent. The rest is all hired guns, a drum machine, whatever. Plus, if there even is guitar on a rap song, its usually limited to a few randomly played twangs that my I could have played when I was 3.
I can also relate to the rockers, I play guitar, Im in a band, and me and my buddies have even taken a few cracks at song writing. I dont have much in common with rappers, and like I said before, even if there are any complex instrumental parts to a song, you can bet they didn't play it.
Finnally, I dont like the profanity used in rap. Its puts me off, I mean, who wants to pay money to listen to some guy shout f*&! a bunch of times and sing about how they're the opitamy of contraversy in the music world. I know that some rock groups use language like that excessivly, but I dont listen to them. It just puts me off.
I guess what Im saying is, I tend to like music based on the actual MUSICAL !(keyword)! complexity, rather than the lyrics.

-And it was good
# 8
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/07/2002 6:16 pm
I dont know... I dont think i agree with you.
I'm not into Van Halen at all... i find their stuff very cheesy and very forced (lyrically anyway), if anything it's more forced than rap (well, the stuff [u]I[/u] listen to anyway)... It's the very cheesy lyrics, that get to me, and the feeling that nothing in their songs has any substance as such...
It's diffcult to explain, but you'd have to listen REM, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Dylan, Blackalicious, RunDMC, Public enemy, nirvana (anything with a gifted song writer lyrasist, regardless of genre, to see waht i mean)...
I can understand, that poeple might simply not "get" the genre, and that's fair enough, but to get on their soapboxes, and start spouting out that rappers are talentless is a whole different matter..
To this day though, i still dont get why poeple say GnR/ Pearl jam/ Van Halen/ Bon Jovi etc etc have good lyrics.. God know i've listened to enough GnR, and out of both "appetite for destruction" and "speghetti incident", and there's not a song that i like...
# 9
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/07/2002 6:24 pm
Thats your opinion, and I gave you mine, thats cool.
What Im getting at is that a lot of people listen to music for the lyrics, I dont. I listen to music for the music. As far as profoundness and meaning in rap lyrics, please explain, because I dont get how talking profanity, homophobic and racial slurs, subjects like rape, how you hate people and and how your are bigger than everyone else is supposed to be profound. I dont know about anyone else, but I like music thats a little more intelligent than that.
Why do you think rap is popular? They create contraversy, thats what sells with them, not they're music.
-And it was good
# 10
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/07/2002 6:50 pm
I agree with you about the fact there are too many rap songs with too much profanity etc etc, but i dont really know of anything that's "profound",but there is stuff that's "intresting" (that's the only way i can put it) to listen to...
Listen to "alphabet aerobics" by blackalicious, that's what started it all for me (i used to hate rap before that), and it's the most easy song to "get" that's pretty much based on the RAP.
The other thing that work really well is the drumming... but to be fair echo on drums is very cool, except 80's cheesers went and over used it. (Martin Hannet's work on Joy Divisions first album back in 77 or 78 was the first time that some one very delibaratly put echo on drums and got a great sound, just listen to "atmosphere" by Joy Division.)
I do definetly feel that rap at the minute is at a low point. but that's not say there's nothing good about. It's always worth a little probing, and reaserching, cos there's some great rap out there, just like punk, amidst all the crap... but i do definetly get the impression that poeple fail to ever hear great bands/ artists because of the crap that surrounds a genre.. which is a shame, cos it ends up poeple like mediocre middle of the road stuff like "nickle back" simply cos they've not heard anything better...

# 11
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/07/2002 6:57 pm
the lyrics for "alphabeta aerobics", this isn't 100% accurate, but it give a rough idea... but you need to listen to it though...

(now it's time for our wrap up. Let's give it everything we've got. Ready? Begin.)

Artificial amateurs, aren't at all amazing
Analytically, I assault, animate things
Broken barriers bounded by the bomb beat
Buildings are broken, basically I'm bombarding
Casually create catastrophes, casualties
Cancelling cats got their canopies collapsing
Detonate a dime of dank daily doin dough
Demonstrations, Don Dada on the down low
Eatin other editors with each and every energetic
Epileptic episode, elevated etiquette
Furious fat fabulous fantastic
Flurries of funk felt feeding the fanatics
Gift got great global goods gone glorious
Gettin godly in his game with the goriest
Hit em high, hella height, historical
Hey holocaust hints hear 'em holler at your homeboy
Imitators idolize, I intimidate
In a instant, I'll rise in a irate state
Juiced on my jams like jheri curls jockin joints
Justly, it's just me, writin my journals
Kindly I'm kindling all kinds of (King Kong?)
Karate kick (Thai frits?) in my kingdom
Let me live a long life, lyrically lessons is
Learned lame louses just lose to my livery
My mind makes marvelous moves, masses
Marvel and move, many mock what I've mastered
Niggas nap knowin I'm nice naturally
Knack, never lack, make noise nationally
Operation, opposition, off, not optional
Out of sight, out of mind, wide beaming opticals
Perfected poem, powerful punchlines
Pummelling petty powder puffs in my prime
Quite quaint quotes keep quiet it's Quannum
Quarrelers ain't got a quarter of what we got uh
Really raw raps, risin up rapidly
Riding the rushing radioactivity
Super scientifical sound search sought
Silencing super fire saps that are soft
Tales ten times talented, too tough
Take that, challengers, get a tune up
Universal, unique untouched
Unadulterated, the raw uncut
Verb vice lord victorious valid
Violate vibes that are vain make em vanished
While well well would a wise wordsmith just
Weaving up words weeded up, I'm a workshift
Xerox, my X-ray-diation holes extra large
X-height letters, and xylophone tones
Yellow back, yak mouth, young ones yaws
Yesterday's lawn yards sell our (yawn?)
Zig zag zombies, zoomin to the zenith
Zero in zen thoughts, overzealous rhyme ZEA-LOTS!....

(good....can you say it faster?)

# 12
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/07/2002 7:01 pm
Thats some cool aranging with the lyrics, but I guess I would have to hear it.
Rap just isn't my bag, but hey, rock isn't for everyone either right?
-And it was good
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.