Dog-Gon Rappers

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/20/2001 3:33 am
The thing is their is amazing rap. You have to be willing to judge something for what it is to really appreciate it. As for commercial pop music- you find everything from pure studio magic to actual great performers performing mediocre (but, yes, catchy music). But we all hear the same song structures being used over, same melodies, same cliches blared over the radio every day. I really can't defend that, though I do acknoledge that many of those performers are great performers. I also alot of wasted potential. Think about the music these people could be making. I think we all really have to accept this for what it is: reality. Stay true to your art, and nobody really has any right to critisize you ever. Just remember that just because you don't like it, it doesn't meant he other guy isn't staying true to their art.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
05/28/2001 2:54 am
Space Ace made an irrelevant, and inflammatory post just to see how many people's skin he can get under and to parade his ignorance so i deleted it. Jake sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/28/2001 7:01 pm
Bummer.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
space ace
space ace
05/29/2001 1:29 am
I don't take back what I said about rap. I just have the nerve to say what I want to about those bastards and I believe that they should all be stabbed several times with really big knives.
Lane Hunter
# 4
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/29/2001 1:58 am
OK.......
I know that whenever I hear something I don't like very much the first thought that comes into my head is "they need to be stabbed with really big knives"...
Does anyone else see the darkly humourous aspect of this?
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/29/2001 2:08 am
Hey, you can say or think whatever you want. That doesn't mean that you have any grasp on reality. The same goes for me and everybody else in this world.

But the fact remains that their are good hip hop acts- I'm not a fan, but I have respect for all artists. I've come to this mind set after having gained a respect and outright love for so many things I thought I'de never get into. I can remember sitting in my dad's truck when I was about four years old thinking "why would anyone want to be a rock star? I know I don't." Well guess what? I'm working my heiny off to hold down a day job and still practice and play out as much as I possibly can. Musicians from every genre do the exact same thing every single day; even rappers and DJ's. I suspect you're still in school if you have so little appreciation for the work involved in making any kind of music. Think about all the times in your life you've been wrong about a person you know, or even yourself. A movie that looked awesome from the adds on the TV and sucked royally once you were in the theater. Or maybe the exact opposite.

Now with that in mind make the music you have to make and let go of your bitterness. Just remember that Chuck D is doing exactly the same thing.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/29/2001 2:20 am
So how is everyone today?
MYK
# 7
kirk5
kirk5
05/29/2001 7:08 pm
As a Metallica fan,i feel great!
# 8
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/29/2001 7:10 pm
Yes, God bless them.
MYK
# 9
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
05/29/2001 7:29 pm
Sorry to say, but boy bands are gonna be around forever and rappers are always gonna be around too! Don't get me wrong! I hate them too, but what makes money is what's going to sell, we, unfortunately (as superior guitar players and appreciators of real music) are currently in the minority......makes ya kinda wish you grew up in the 60's, huh?
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 10
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/29/2001 7:35 pm
Amen, brother.
MYK
# 11
trendkillah
trendkillah
05/29/2001 7:56 pm
Actually, nowadays, we have a much larger selection of really good music then there was in the 60's. Just think about it, although there is a massive amount of crap out there these days, there is also alot of really great stuff, it just doesn't get air-time on radio or television.

I don't care what other people listen to, or what get's played on the radio or TV(you can turn those off if they annoy you). As long as I have my cd'z and my own music, I'll be fine.

Greetz, TK
# 12
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/29/2001 10:12 pm
As long as I have my Metallica cds, I'm happy. I just think there should be more radio stations that play metal, though. I mean where I live there's about 50 stations that play the same pop music, and only 3 that play good rock music. That's just stupid!
MYK
# 13
space ace
space ace
05/29/2001 11:55 pm
Fellas I would like to be a little less psycotic on this topic because I have a little story about a type of pop music dying. We all know that horrid disco once existed and we all know that good rock bands sold out to it (ex.Kiss) But if your wondering how it was killed it was the summer of '80 and a young fresh rock act walked into Madison Square Garden then six hours later walked out. His name was Bruce Springsteen. That's right "The Boss" is the one who killed disco that's the main reason he is so famous. I used to hate him until I heard about that...oh and then I listened to him and now he is my favourite rock star. If you don't believe me they talk about it on those history of rock and roll shows that are on sometimes.
Lane Hunter
# 14
quakked
quakked
06/01/2001 2:54 pm
I wanna say right off that I like *almost* everything.

I love Metalica, Guns'n'Roses, Lenny Kravits, Kid Rock, Blink182, and the offspring.

ALL POP MUSIC SOUNDS THE SAME!!! (except for blink182)Example: Brittany Spears did a song called 'hit me baby one more time' which sounds exactly the same as 'oops I did it again' which sounds mysteriously similar to Bye Bye Bye by Nsync!!!!

I do NOT like rap and Hip hop Unless its in the style of Kid Rock or DcTalk (from the Jesus Freak album).

I do like ska a lot and that does have rap in it but it's not pop. Go to napster, download the song "return of the revolution" by the Supertones.

So that's my position. It's not all crap but a lot of it is.

Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/01/2001 5:43 pm
Yes, their's the goods and their's crap in every genre. Though I can't agree with some of the acts you mentioned- to me Kid Rock is basicly a new Vanella Ice (who's now doing a "Hard Core" act). He's a tremendous stage presance but his music strikes me as disengenuous and bland. It saddens me to think what this guy could be doing. Anyway, it's not really my place to judge anything (and why I'm not going to go any further with my critiques of some of the other bands... what's the point?). You have to realize that for every Guns N' Roses their's a Nelson, for ever Sublime a 311, and for every Busta Rhymes their's a Puff Daddy.

Speaking of Busta, he cut an awesome song with Fishbone on their album Chim Chim's Badass Revenge. It's called "Psychologically Overcast." Not only does he do a respectable job of rapping over Fishbone, but the rest of the song will appeal to the metal in all of us. I'm talking the riff from hell here.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
Josh Tatum
Josh Tatum
06/02/2001 1:32 am
Rap makes me want to throw up it takes no talent to make up little rhymes and talk into the mic I am glad to see some people out there that appreciates music.
# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/02/2001 8:02 pm
Originally posted by Josh Tatum
...it takes no talent to make up little rhymes and talk into the mic I am glad to see some people out there that appreciates music.

A cohesive set of lyrics is a cohesive set of lyrics- I take it yours are winning awards? Second, rap isn't just talking- yes it doesn't usually involve singing, but it's spoke to a meter* (Shakespere anyone?). Ever seen free style rapping? By "free style" I mean that people make up lyrics on the fly. I suppose you can get up on stage in front of people, make up a cohesive set of lyrics on the fly, and still manage to stay in time with the drums and bass while presenting a vibe that keeps the croud interested? Have you ever tried to do any of the above? I'm guessing the response in your head right now is "No I haven't tried because it sucks." Well, try when someone isn't looking, then see if you still think the same way.

I don't like to harp on this but don't confuse "I don't like _____" with "________ sucks." I don't like rap either, but I can appreciate much of it for what it is. Rap isn't about chord progressions and a melody, it's about the rythm and a simple groove. You know, it's funny that nowhere in this thread has anyone given any kind of evidence why they think rap is so terrible. Are you really that afraid of that which is different from you and the world you know?

*for those of you who are less educated than others; meter means rythm.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
06/02/2001 10:10 pm
Damn Ras!!, Summed up everything in a nice,tidy,little package. Speaking some mad knowledge.
"Take my hand boss"
# 19
metalisbest
metalisbest
09/04/2002 1:03 am
I agree with the rap thing sucks. My sister's friend hated rock and metal until the Ozzy Osbourne show came on. Now she plays his cds non-stop and is started to like other bands like that. That is bull****.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.