Finding a band

AndyP
AndyP
09/23/2005 8:17 pm
Just wondering how other people have gone about finding a band or people to jam with. I've played with people informally over the years but never seriously or been in a proper band. I think it would be the next step for my playing. I'm fairly competent but with every second person playing guitar and bass players/drummers having their pick it seems like it's stacked against us. I can't sing either which is a major drawback.

Ive visited a few boards but it's full of "must have band experience" "must be able to outplay Vai" "only people possessed with the ghost of Hendrix need apply" etc..

I don't really want to be out of my depth with my attempt at Vai sounding like Bob Dylan after an aneurysm, but on the other hand I don't want to find myself surrounded by 16yr olds stumming Busted songs or jams breaking down into informal lessons (which i have done with a few friends who have a very loose definition on what "decent" on the guitar is. Nothing like having someone stare at you blankly when you say D7 to make your dreams of headlining Wembley disappear.) How do you get the right level?

Also, just to add insult to injury, my style of playing isnt easily categorised. I'm not a rock, blues, jazz, country, or folk player but somewhere inbetween (but not in a good way.) You say that to someone looking for a Slash clone and you may as well say that you have a highly contagious form of syphilis.

Any thoughts or experiences?
# 1
crazyguy
crazyguy
09/26/2005 1:38 pm
Band that requires you to play like someone else would eventually turn into an enormous boredom, but most bands want the new guitar player to fulfill all of their (not always realistic) expectations. What I did is lots of practice and lots of jamming with different musicians. Some of them liked what they'd heard, and wanted me to join them, but even then I was picky, so I was mostly sattisfied with how we sounded together.
At present time I'm not in a band, just doing lots of jamming, looking for a bass player, but I don't want to rush it.
Allso, there's nothing wrong in playing with musicians who are "bellow your level", as long as they are willing to practice a lot. Much better than the other way around.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/26/2005 5:23 pm
How lucky is this: I've jammed with a drummer that i've known since grade school, another friend i've known for 5 years wants to join in the jam session, and my other friend who plays bass wants to join in. Were all real good freinds and like the same stuff. So we'll be getting along and play the stuff we like.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/26/2005 5:42 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccHow lucky is this: I've jammed with a drummer that i've known since grade school, another friend i've known for 5 years wants to join in the jam session, and my other friend who plays bass wants to join in. Were all real good freinds and like the same stuff. So we'll be getting along and play the stuff we like.

You won't be friends for long!

Haha, just kidding. Let us know how it goes.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
quickfingers
quickfingers
09/27/2005 5:24 am
i just dont get why people cant find bands sometimes. i admit, it is hard to find reliable musicians, sure. but musicians themselves are flakes. you cant expect all of your imaginary band members to be like you and regularly visit forums of their instrument to get tips and take advice. alot of musicians are afraid of change, alot think theyre hot ****, and some just are hot ****. youve got to take what you can find and pick your poison usually. i had a pretty "succesful" band for about a year, i mean i guess you could call it succesful. i grew up around a punk scene, so starting a band was just like "hey man, my friend bill plays bass, and tom plays drums. you wanna jam?" and thats that. nothing too special. i didnt know what the **** a D 7th was either, no one cared man. it was rock and roll. i was in this band called (dont laugh too hard) the filthy lads. we where a skapunk/oi/rock band, and we where all pretty good friends i suppose. i grew to hate the drummer and singer, i still do. i actually tired to kill the singer with a box of pool balls one night. but anywho, we played about 20ish shows, house shows, venues, bars, stuff like that. it was real fun, but we where all ameturish, we didnt have marshal stacks. i mean, up until last month, ive been playing on a fake squier thats covered in a mass of stickers, tape and clamps holding it together. like i said, if its punk rock, thats all good. you dont need a damn PRS. in fact, its a waste of money because **** happens when you hang around with people that usually dont have vans to carry gear in, and you end up stuffing guitars ontop of eachother in the back of a ford thunderbird. ive played drunk, never played high becuase im a terrible guitarist when im high, but other than that, im a pretty straight laced guy. i guess thats why ive improved in my playing so much and those guys are still wanting to jam in garages with drummers that drop acid daily. scenes are different, i find myself being more comfortable as the real good guitarist in a group of average musians, than hanging out wiht people that can "outplay steve vai" and ****. i dont really want to meet someone like that, and im not really aiming to do so. solo artists are cocky as ****, anyways.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 5
Zack Miller
Zack Miller
09/27/2005 7:35 am
to all those people bitching there not in a band..If you cant find anyone go to an open mic night and talk to people... everyone here plays guitar just go on stage..if your good people will wanna play with you... you dont need a band with a guitar all you need is you and lyrics oh well if you cant sing bob dylan cant and if your dream is to be a rock star go up on stage and be one.. less talk more action.

P.S if you cant go on stage your never gonna fulfill want you want to
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.