View post (Finding a band)

View thread

AndyP
AndyP
09/23/2005 8:17 pm
Just wondering how other people have gone about finding a band or people to jam with. I've played with people informally over the years but never seriously or been in a proper band. I think it would be the next step for my playing. I'm fairly competent but with every second person playing guitar and bass players/drummers having their pick it seems like it's stacked against us. I can't sing either which is a major drawback.

Ive visited a few boards but it's full of "must have band experience" "must be able to outplay Vai" "only people possessed with the ghost of Hendrix need apply" etc..

I don't really want to be out of my depth with my attempt at Vai sounding like Bob Dylan after an aneurysm, but on the other hand I don't want to find myself surrounded by 16yr olds stumming Busted songs or jams breaking down into informal lessons (which i have done with a few friends who have a very loose definition on what "decent" on the guitar is. Nothing like having someone stare at you blankly when you say D7 to make your dreams of headlining Wembley disappear.) How do you get the right level?

Also, just to add insult to injury, my style of playing isnt easily categorised. I'm not a rock, blues, jazz, country, or folk player but somewhere inbetween (but not in a good way.) You say that to someone looking for a Slash clone and you may as well say that you have a highly contagious form of syphilis.

Any thoughts or experiences?