View post (Finding a band)

View thread

quickfingers
quickfingers
09/27/2005 5:24 am
i just dont get why people cant find bands sometimes. i admit, it is hard to find reliable musicians, sure. but musicians themselves are flakes. you cant expect all of your imaginary band members to be like you and regularly visit forums of their instrument to get tips and take advice. alot of musicians are afraid of change, alot think theyre hot ****, and some just are hot ****. youve got to take what you can find and pick your poison usually. i had a pretty "succesful" band for about a year, i mean i guess you could call it succesful. i grew up around a punk scene, so starting a band was just like "hey man, my friend bill plays bass, and tom plays drums. you wanna jam?" and thats that. nothing too special. i didnt know what the **** a D 7th was either, no one cared man. it was rock and roll. i was in this band called (dont laugh too hard) the filthy lads. we where a skapunk/oi/rock band, and we where all pretty good friends i suppose. i grew to hate the drummer and singer, i still do. i actually tired to kill the singer with a box of pool balls one night. but anywho, we played about 20ish shows, house shows, venues, bars, stuff like that. it was real fun, but we where all ameturish, we didnt have marshal stacks. i mean, up until last month, ive been playing on a fake squier thats covered in a mass of stickers, tape and clamps holding it together. like i said, if its punk rock, thats all good. you dont need a damn PRS. in fact, its a waste of money because **** happens when you hang around with people that usually dont have vans to carry gear in, and you end up stuffing guitars ontop of eachother in the back of a ford thunderbird. ive played drunk, never played high becuase im a terrible guitarist when im high, but other than that, im a pretty straight laced guy. i guess thats why ive improved in my playing so much and those guys are still wanting to jam in garages with drummers that drop acid daily. scenes are different, i find myself being more comfortable as the real good guitarist in a group of average musians, than hanging out wiht people that can "outplay steve vai" and ****. i dont really want to meet someone like that, and im not really aiming to do so. solo artists are cocky as ****, anyways.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE