- 5-way switching for a multitude of sounds
-Tuning key's seem very nice, and stay in tune very well
-Neck is nice and smooth, slightly bigger than a Fender strat neck
-Fret's have smooth ends
-fairly lightweight
-Neck transitions seamlessly into the body
-Overall great feel, tone, and versatility

Con's:
- Not long after purchasing the 5-way switch is loose in the bridge position and needs to be nudged sometimes to make good contact
-It's a little neck heavy
-The neck is a little narrow for my taste, but not too bad

Review:
Upon receiving the guitar, it amazed me at how beautiful a solid black guitar could be. The creamy binding
accentuates is sexy curves just right, and the black MOP inlay's have a ghostly appearance on the fretboard.
The black chrome hardware (which actually has more of a dark bronze/root beer color) add a nice touch to the guitar's dark characteristic.
This was the first guitar I had ever played that had an all mahogany body and maple/rosewood neck combination, and I must say.... me likey. I'll be honest, I bought the guitar on a wild whim without ever playing it before, so I was pretty nervous before I plugged it in. After plugging into my rig (whatever is was at the time.... yeah, I'm a gear whore), and running through a few riffs and such, I was very impressed! The guitar has a nice punchiness to it along with crisp highs and a tight bottom end. Compared to my PRS, it has a more midrange focused tone, as opposed to the darker more open tone of the PRS. This is a good thing though, since a guitar's voice is in the midrange. Note's seem to jump out at you rather than getting all jumbled up with each other.
After playing through all the pickup arrangements, I realized that this is a very versatile guitar. The bridge position is very punchy and articulate, the middle 3 positions have strat like tones that are excellent for clean to slightly overdriven passages, and the neck position has a vintage low output rawness to it that is great for all kinds of tones.

Summary:
The main reason I bought this guitar was so I would have a backup in case anything ever happened to my PRS during a gig or practice or whatever. Little did I know that I was getting a guitar that would end up seeing just as much playing time as my PRS. I've played this guitar through many different setups, and it has performed flawlessly through all of them. While my PRS is still my main "go to" guitar, the Blackjack adds a little more variety and versatility to my aural arsenal.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
05/27/2005 3:39 pm
Anyone that is crazing after a PRS but can't shell out the 2 grand. Definitely check out the Schecter C series!! My friend has a C-1 Classic (the one with the vine-of-life inlays). I play it a lot when I'm over in the studio with him and it's a mean axe. It's neck-through and it has the craftmanship to rival ANY guitar... even a PRS Ten-Top. Excellent review and sopt-on in my opinion! Schecter C-1's are the most underrated guitars out there and some of the nicest.
# 2
Dark13
Dark13
05/27/2005 5:19 pm
I bought one and after playing it for a couple days, was NOT impressed, the sustain was NON EXISTENT, even my cheap Epi's sound better. Fortunately, Guitar Center refunded me for the Blackjack. LOL I got jacked!

Sorry, I think ESP makes a much better guitar for same money, and better parts, better sustain, and great looking LPs, Vipers, etc.
FONT]=Dark13=
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
05/27/2005 6:19 pm
ESP owns Schecter...................... I've never played a Black Jack though. Sorry that you didn't like it. I want to buy one of those ESP Trucksters (James Hettfield Signature) LP's. They look pretty mean.
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/27/2005 6:20 pm
There's little to no difference between the regular C1's and the Blackjack C1's

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
05/27/2005 6:26 pm
I didn't think so...
# 6
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
05/27/2005 9:31 pm
Beautiful!

Isn't telling somebody his new guitar sucks like saying his girlfriend is ugly?

Better duck, Dark13!

:D :D :D
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Dark13
Dark13
05/28/2005 6:37 am
What's up with the weak cliches? Replies are dicotomies, not everyone agrees in this world, I was just stating my opinion.

I said the one I got sucked.

It IS a beautiful looking guitar, however, when I played it through my amp at home, the notes just died.

Even playing it without an amp, the notes died quickly, not much sustain, frets buzzed, some dead frets, maybe it was the setup.

Nice looking guitar, but it sounds like a cheap guitar.

When I bought it, the store was really noisy, and I wanted it 'cause it felt nice. I really didn't get a chance to hear it, especially when I came home and heard it on a "clean sound" I was bummed, disapointed as it just didn't have much sustain. Playing single notes were ok, but on appegios or chords, it lacked fullness, sustain, or just what I call balls. The tone controls made it go from a thin sound to a muddy one...Also, the stock nut did not let me re-string with 10s and that's weak, as I hate 9s, I tune to CGCFAD so 9s aren't practical.

Why did I buy one? It's a beautiful guitar! I was "in the buying frenzy, I wanted it based on looks and feel" there was a ton of people playing at once, sometimes you can't tell in the store.

I bought it knowing I could bring it back and get refunded, and after 2 days, I did...

I'm am glad I exchanged it, I got a deal on a ESP LP, the KH-503, and put a Dimebucker in it, and it cranks, for days.
FONT]=Dark13=
# 8
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/28/2005 10:05 pm
Yea, thats always an issue with Korean guitars...I have a Cort s2550(if I am correct, Schecter and Cort are manufactured by the same company, just under different names and models) well anyway, mine is amazing...I probably play her more than my Gibson Lp(maybe I dont like her more, but she does see more play time, and I would sell the Lp before I ever consider selling my Cort) anyway, my mate has a Cort, same model and it just isnt as nice...still not a bad guitar, just different, and lacking a little something...

Inconsistancy is a big problem today, with amazing looking and playing guitars being offered at really affordable prices...as was said earlier, the Schecter C-1 Classic rivals a Prs 10-top in construction and craftmanship...its true...Schecter started out as a custom shop, bulding guitars for the likes of Mark Knopfler, and now they are able to offer custom shop standards, for really good prices...just make sure you get a good one...if you do, you are set...but another guitar, of the same model, could be a bad one...try them out.

Also,always play clean when trying out guitars(and amps) in shops,channel2 is a salesmans "make-up bag" for the instrument.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/29/2005 8:14 am
Between the mahogany body and the maple neck, I've never had any problems with sustain. Between my PRS Custom 22 and the Blackjack, the only place the PRS exceeds is how it feels in my hands. The PRS fits me like a glove custom made for my hands, but the Blackjack isn't far behind. I hate that you(Dark13) had a bad experience with the Schecter you played, but I've had nothing but an excelant experience with mine.

No one guitar is right for everybody, hence your experience. But, for me, the guitar felt and played right.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
don'tblameme
don'tblameme
06/05/2005 8:49 am
looks simalar to a old yamaha i have and its setup is nice it had two humbuker pickup w/ a single coil also black
# 11
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/17/2005 11:17 pm
My friend owns one and he said that a change of humbuckers made a big difference. Also, many people say the same on comments on various websites. I'm thinking on one too, a custom though.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 12
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
09/21/2005 8:51 pm
very nice
I've never heard one of these, any chance of a link to a soundbite?
[FONT=Tahoma]Jedicaster[/FONT]

I am vibrating at the speed of light.
# 13
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
10/07/2005 5:56 am
I like it alot! I was looking at the c-1 classic or maybe the hellraiser but the blackjack looks sweet! I had a JB 59 in the neck of my IBANEZ and it was pretty bad ass. I like the string through mahogany body as well. May have to settle on the blackjack instead. Thanks PRS! ;)
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 14
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
10/30/2005 7:01 am
c-1 classic is sweet!!!!!!!....are guitars not the best?????? p.s. im not baked in the picture, just tired from all the weed i smoked.... :rolleyes:

"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 15
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/01/2005 1:42 pm
Still got the lazy eye's I see.. ha ha. Yeah, Schecter makes some fine guitars. I might actually be thinking about selling mine sometime in the near future though. Nothing's wrong with it, I just need the money, and I'm a gear whore :D but I'll post it in the "Gear For Sale" thread in the Gear discussion forum when it's for sale.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 16
Dark13
Dark13
04/21/2006 5:07 am
It's not my new guitar, I returned it. We can't all like the same things.

If you want to talk equipment, I'm there, but plz no girlfriends or personal comments, or I'm outta here.

I've been buying equipment and playing in bands for over 30 years. I prefer ESP or Jackson, they make a better guitar in that price range.
FONT]=Dark13=
# 17
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/21/2006 2:47 pm
Originally Posted by: Dark13It's not my new guitar, I returned it. We can't all like the same things.

If you want to talk equipment, I'm there, but plz no girlfriends or personal comments, or I'm outta here.

I've been buying equipment and playing in bands for over 30 years. I prefer ESP or Jackson, they make a better guitar in that price range.

What personal comments? PRS was just saying he likes his, and that he'd recommend it. You don't like the one you played? Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks. PRS is just puttin' it out there that he thinks this is a swell guitar.
# 18
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
04/21/2006 3:03 pm
Originally Posted by: Dark13It's not my new guitar, I returned it. We can't all like the same things.

What on earth are you talking about? :confused: Who made a personal comment towards you, or said anything about your girlfriend?

You know, it's hard to believe that you've been playing for over 30 years and don't have better taste in equipment than an ESP KH-503 with a Dimebucker :rolleyes: Sorry, but I just don't understand that :confused:

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 19
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/21/2006 4:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Dark13If you want to talk equipment, I'm there, but plz no girlfriends or personal comments, or I'm outta here.

Amazing.

Jon was making a joke, Dark. He was equating a guitar with a girlfriend. Humourists would call this "comic overstatement." You see, he wasn't talking about anyone's actual girlfriend.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.