guitar lessons

PeptoB
PeptoB
04/13/2001 5:24 pm
I'm thinking of getting electric guitar lessons this summer and desperately need some recomendations for a guitar teacher. I'm Toronto resident and would also like to find out how much it costs per lesson, how often I go(once a week, or biweekly..) and etc. I've been playing acoustic guitar for about ten years (self-taught as most of you are) and am thinking of learning some serious scale runs and licks.
# 1
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/13/2001 9:08 pm
Why? Just learn how to read music if you dont alrady know and develop from that.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 2
PeptoB
PeptoB
04/13/2001 11:08 pm
Well, I sorta know how to read music (though most stuff I play is from tabs) but what I really want to be able to do is play licks and solos in any key I'm in. I've been digging into pentatonics and major scale patterns and what not for some time but it seems that there's gotta be some sort of systematic method in acheiving all these. But then again, I could be wrong and maybe it's because i'm not confident enough just because I haven't received any formal training in that area. By the way, is it really worth all that money to receive lessons? any testimonials?
# 3
quakked
quakked
04/15/2001 12:23 am
Instead of lessons, why not try to get some good guitar books. Most larger libraries have some good ones and music stores should have some.

Joseph
04/15/2001 5:18 am
Well, try and let your ear guide you, (even if you're at such an early stage in learning the guitar.) A lot of people focus too much on the rules where they begin to write and record their solos like a robot, I'm not fan of a sloppy joe type of player, but Ide rather hear someone miss a few notes here and then play the same solo, the same way, every time. When we're first starting out, we're afraid of making mistakes, but theres nothing wrong with that, because it helps us figure out what we wan't, and what type of solo we wan't to create. Ive listened to tapes of solos that Ive recorded years ago, and when I play them now I take more of a relaxed approch, adding a few adjustments here and there. So, be sure to play by the book, but don't get too attached to it where you lose control. I mean we all try to be a perfectionist when it comes to playing the guitar, but there is such a thing as too much. Its important to learn the rules, but feel free free to cut loose and break them every now and then, if thats what it takes for you to find comfort in your playing, whatever suits you.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 5

04/15/2001 3:21 pm
I can't stress enough the importance of having a good guitar teacher if you really want to progress; and more importantly, progress the RIGHT way. There are so many bad habits that can be developed with the guitar that may seem benign at the time, but months or years down the line you'll wonder why you aren't progressing beyond a certain point and realize you've been locked into a bad habit. Bad habits are extremely hard to break. Besides that, a good guitar teacher can give you the structured practice schedule some people need to achieve real results quickly. Get a teacher. And it just so happens I can help you out.. you say you live in the Toronto area eh? Well I live around there too, and I go to a teacher in Newmarket named David Howard. The guy is insane, as technically proficient as almost any guitar idol you can name (although his real specialty is classical guitar, and damn can he play that). He'll take your playing up notches, and also gives lots of opportunity for live performance (not in a corny "recital" type of way, but a "concert" with lighting and the best equipment and stuff). Anyways I've said enough, but reply if you're interested and I'll get you his number.
# 6
PeptoB
PeptoB
04/15/2001 9:51 pm
Gee, it sounds great James. Yes, I'd like to get his number and address. I live in Scarborough and getting all the way up north is a lota drive but I think it's gonna be worth it! But if the guys that good, it must cost me a fortune to get lessons from him(like around $100 per lesson..?) Anyhow, please get back to me with his number, thanks in advance:)

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.