View post (guitar lessons)

View thread

04/15/2001 3:21 pm
I can't stress enough the importance of having a good guitar teacher if you really want to progress; and more importantly, progress the RIGHT way. There are so many bad habits that can be developed with the guitar that may seem benign at the time, but months or years down the line you'll wonder why you aren't progressing beyond a certain point and realize you've been locked into a bad habit. Bad habits are extremely hard to break. Besides that, a good guitar teacher can give you the structured practice schedule some people need to achieve real results quickly. Get a teacher. And it just so happens I can help you out.. you say you live in the Toronto area eh? Well I live around there too, and I go to a teacher in Newmarket named David Howard. The guy is insane, as technically proficient as almost any guitar idol you can name (although his real specialty is classical guitar, and damn can he play that). He'll take your playing up notches, and also gives lots of opportunity for live performance (not in a corny "recital" type of way, but a "concert" with lighting and the best equipment and stuff). Anyways I've said enough, but reply if you're interested and I'll get you his number.