View post (guitar lessons)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
04/15/2001 5:18 am
Well, try and let your ear guide you, (even if you're at such an early stage in learning the guitar.) A lot of people focus too much on the rules where they begin to write and record their solos like a robot, I'm not fan of a sloppy joe type of player, but Ide rather hear someone miss a few notes here and then play the same solo, the same way, every time. When we're first starting out, we're afraid of making mistakes, but theres nothing wrong with that, because it helps us figure out what we wan't, and what type of solo we wan't to create. Ive listened to tapes of solos that Ive recorded years ago, and when I play them now I take more of a relaxed approch, adding a few adjustments here and there. So, be sure to play by the book, but don't get too attached to it where you lose control. I mean we all try to be a perfectionist when it comes to playing the guitar, but there is such a thing as too much. Its important to learn the rules, but feel free free to cut loose and break them every now and then, if thats what it takes for you to find comfort in your playing, whatever suits you.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."