80's Metal Bands!!!

Joseph
Joseph
04/13/2001 2:34 am
Hair banfds, or whatever you guys wan't to call them, you can;t deny that a hand ful of these guys could really play their instruments well. With their overall image alot of people have blown everything way out of proportion, the eighties wasn't all about competition and conforming to the idea of what was considered acceptable, it was about string guitar playing. There were really alot of bands around that time that I'm sure alot of us will never forget, but who was your favorite, (which band from this time were you totally obsessed with?) [/i]

I was huge fan of [b]White Lion
, and I still am, I can't help wondering what happened to Vito Bratta, this guy inspired me in more ways than one. His playing was so outragious, and all his own, Lady Of The Valley its such a great song, and I always appreciated the rather intelligent approach this band took with every record. If you ask me, they created their own rules, and in a way wen't a little bit against what was deemed acceptable, where toward the end Vito incorporated some of his blues influences into his playing. I was devastated when this band broke up, and I'm even more upset with the fact that I haven't heard of them since. They were a great innovative rock band...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/13/2001 2:36 pm
Iron Maiden and Van Halen (if you consider Van Halen a Hairband). Anyway, they have got to be my favorite.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 2
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/13/2001 8:54 pm
You forgot Europe. The Final Countdown. i can still hear taht keyboard tune now. Partly because Im playing it but also because its so memorable. Dadada da, dadadada da
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
04/14/2001 1:49 am
Originally posted by Mai Zure
Joseph my man,

I thought I was one of the few people in the world that acknowleged the existance of VITO BRATTA. Yes, I thought was a superb player. Skills a plenty. He really did an oustanding job with White Lion's cover of Radar love. It's a shame they aren't too well known unless it's amongst 80s freaks like me.

80s Metal forever!
Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ozzy Osbourne, Def Leppard, Kiss, Bon Jovi, Guns and Roses, Poison, Hanoi Rocks, Skid Row, Dokken, Motley Crue, Extreme, Lita Ford, Cinderella, AC/DC, Ratt, Europe, Firehouse, Whitesnake, Warrant, Tesla, Winger, Slaughter, L.A. Guns, Great White, Damn Yankees, Vinnie Vincent, Nelson, Faster Pussycat, Vixen, Ugly Kid Joe, Love & Rockets, White Lion, Night Ranger, Sex Gang Children, Michael Monroe, Quiet Riot, Alice Cooper, New Order,Living Colour, Twisted Sister, Judas Priest, .38 Special, Autograph, Mr. Big, The Scorpions, Steelheart, Kix, Sheriff, Bad English, Jackyl, The Cult, Britny Fox, W.A.S.P, Trixter, David Lee Roth, Saigon Kick, Thunder, Y&T, The Storm, Rainbow, Loverboy, Stryper, Honeymoon Suite, Platinum Blonde, Guiffria, Alcatrazzz

I know its a shame that White Lion don'r recieve enough recognition today, but their songs were very meaningful with very passionate lyrics. Not to mention Bratta's guitar solos, his work has definitely challenged me in more ways than one over the past several years, hes an amazing player... Hey I have fond memories of most of these bands you mentioned, hey I didn't know that people still remembered Autograph..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 4
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
04/14/2001 2:02 am
I've never been against the '80s bands'. Although I really can't stand to listen to people who write corny a$$ lyrics or play their instrument like they're trying to sound like one of their guitar heroes. I even have the "Best of Whitesnake" album. Even though I have to tune the lyrics out, I can still dig some of the guitar playing. Everyone here knows what I'm talking about, right? "Walking hand in hand through the land. Through the fire and brimstone my love holds on..." yada yada yada. How can anyone like those lyrics?
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 5
maser
maser
04/14/2001 7:42 am
Oh, but I didn't forget Europe really. I was just reading down my CD rack as I typed :).
I think I posted The Final Countdown as my fav. intro to a song in another threat on this site a few weeks ago hehe. I "forgot" bands like Armored Saint, Joan Jett, etc...jsut because I dont happen to own any of their CDs (although they could be on compilations I have :D

Matter of fact guys, Im going to see GREAT WHITE in May. I was supposed to see them in March, but they postponed the venue until May. Peace!

[Edited by Mai Zure on 04-14-2001 at 03:46 AM]
Mai Zure - So overdriven, he sh*ts distortion
# 6
stratman42
stratman42
04/17/2001 7:31 pm
I love this kind of music, especially Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, GnR and Rainbow. And Queensryche. Prog Metal. A decent band if ever i knew one. Oh and Yngwie Malmsteen. He is like God, only Swedish.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 7
The Ferret
The Ferret
04/18/2001 7:51 pm
Originally posted by stratman42
I love this kind of music, especially Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, GnR and Rainbow. And Queensryche. Prog Metal. A decent band if ever i knew one. Oh and Yngwie Malmsteen. He is like God, only Swedish.

I wouldn't call any of them HAIR bands. You're talking legit metal there.

To me, hair bands (which could be defined as pop metal) were groups like Poison, Striper, Winger, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Motley Crue, Night Rider.

I pretty much lived on that stuff.:D Those were the days when MTV rocked.

Wasn't White Lion the one that did a remake of the Ian Hunter song, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy?" I loved both versions of that one.
# 8
Joseph
Joseph
04/20/2001 2:02 am

Wasn't White Lion the one that did a remake of the Ian Hunter song, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy?" I loved both versions of that one. [/B][/QUOTE]

That was Great White, you shouldnt get these bands mixed up, their styles are very different, but they are both great bands from that era. Personally, I never payed much attention to the song "Once Bitten Twice Shy" until Great White re-made it, if you ask me I think they topped the original version. A friend of mine recently gave me Great White's (Tribute To Zeppelin) cd, its great, those guys did a pretty good job covering my favorite tracks.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 9
Majoinen
Majoinen
05/17/2001 12:43 am
Manowar - Are Kings of Metal and they are very much so 80's yet still kick'n
Brothers 0f Metal
Hail and Kill
# 10
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/17/2001 4:43 am
All I have to say is God bless Metallica.
MYK
# 11
Joseph
Joseph
05/18/2001 2:32 am
You said it, you know its a shame that there aren't more new bands today who really take pride in their playing, and the complexity of their work. I'm not saying that its the complexity that makes a song, but for every musician its hard to believe that they wouldn't wan't to try and be the best that they can, mastering their instrumrents left and right. What it all comes down to is being impulsive (with enough knowledge to be satisfied with your work.) There are a lot of musicians today who have created a defence re-action where a few chords is all that they need to be happy, (thats true to a certain extent), but for a lot of people they have a habit of attacking something that they don't have. The ability to play those awesome 80's metal solos, its hard to believe that most guitarists today aren't drawn to these sounds, and the overall idea of feeling totally competent with their instuments.

I loved hearimng those long guitar solos on the radio, I never complained because with the much needed duration, it gave you an idea of what your favorite guitarists were all about, where they opened the doors of their personality. If you ask me theres more than a handful of new musicians today who don't know whwther or not they're coming or going. They should forget bout the hair back in the 80's, forget about the overall image and focus on the overall sound from that era, because it really said alot about their attitude towards their instruments. And it expressed a great deal of happiness, and optimism..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 12
Majoinen
Majoinen
05/18/2001 2:50 am
Your forgetting the maddest mothers around - Helloween, Gammer Ray, Annihilator, ManOwar,

Long live 80's Metal - Heavy F#$K ing M E T A L Yeah!
Hail and Kill
# 13
Majoinen
Majoinen
05/18/2001 2:55 am
Joseph Knows What Up!
80's Metal has some of the best riffs sounds and no one today can get past the Long hair, Leather and badd ass attitude, I'm taunted every day by friends and familly "it sound like girls screaming" "Their ****, their not even in the charts" well i say F$#K the Charts play from the heart and play LOUD!
Hail and Kill
# 14
Purikah
Purikah
08/11/2001 5:39 pm
I annoyed with the way 80s metal metal bands have been portrayed lately. They were the only refuge from the new romantics, cheesy dross that plagued the 80s. They dont make like that anymore. Iron Maiden r00lz.
# 15
ibanezdude
ibanezdude
08/12/2001 9:49 am
METALLICA!!!!

80's metal band... early 90's...
even metal's in their name!!!
COME ON PPLS!!!!

~ROR!~
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.