View post (80's Metal Bands!!!)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
05/18/2001 2:32 am
You said it, you know its a shame that there aren't more new bands today who really take pride in their playing, and the complexity of their work. I'm not saying that its the complexity that makes a song, but for every musician its hard to believe that they wouldn't wan't to try and be the best that they can, mastering their instrumrents left and right. What it all comes down to is being impulsive (with enough knowledge to be satisfied with your work.) There are a lot of musicians today who have created a defence re-action where a few chords is all that they need to be happy, (thats true to a certain extent), but for a lot of people they have a habit of attacking something that they don't have. The ability to play those awesome 80's metal solos, its hard to believe that most guitarists today aren't drawn to these sounds, and the overall idea of feeling totally competent with their instuments.

I loved hearimng those long guitar solos on the radio, I never complained because with the much needed duration, it gave you an idea of what your favorite guitarists were all about, where they opened the doors of their personality. If you ask me theres more than a handful of new musicians today who don't know whwther or not they're coming or going. They should forget bout the hair back in the 80's, forget about the overall image and focus on the overall sound from that era, because it really said alot about their attitude towards their instruments. And it expressed a great deal of happiness, and optimism..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."