Classical guitar and the pinky

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/18/2005 3:34 am
Why is it that every time I read into the classical guitar style everyone always stresses that the pinky should never be used, but at the same time they never give any logical reason why. Hell, they never give any reason why. All books and whatnot just say "the pinky is never used". Personally I've seen to it that my bass style incorporates all 4 fingers and thumb even in the standard picking methods, just feels more efficient to me. Thus I've made my finger picking/classical style include my pinky as well, I find it helps arpeggios and some chords better. It just seems like the finger is there so why not use it. I had a hard time at first but the little bugger's getting quite versitile and I dont' have any intention on stopping with its use. Anyway the question is Why is the pinky "never used" in classical guitar?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/18/2005 10:56 pm
I have been playing Classical/Flamenco guitar for over three years now. I have NEVER heard anyone say not to use their pinky. On the fretting hand, its almost manditory, and for the picking hand, if you want to do strong vibrant strums or rasqueado, you HAVE to use the pink.

Now... I have heard that pinky is not meant to play blues and stuff. Thats why Jimi Hendrix never played with his pinky.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/19/2005 12:12 am
Well then I don't know what goes on through my sources' brains. Everywhere I look I see "don't use your pinky, sit like this, do that, do this" and it seems very strict... and I'm fine with that but it just strikes me that the people I read/learn from are over doing it and forgetting a sense of individuality. Thank you for speaking up in favor of the pinky. I sort of see it as more efficient and a waste of resources to neglect it.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3
Guitarro777
Guitarro777
02/19/2005 12:40 am
I used to play classical. My teacher never taught me to play with my pinky on my picking hand, thus i never did it. But I say use it if it feels to be comfortable thing for you. I don't agree with people that say, "never use this technique." I play with a pick now and i use economy picking, which is supposedly the wrong way to pick but i'm doing well with it. Classical can be very strict though, and i think that sometimes takes somehing away from the music.
Practice 8 hours a day and God Bless you.
# 4
Beckman
Beckman
02/21/2005 9:05 pm
I took Classical for years and have never once been told not to use my pinky. Maybe it just never came up. I have noticed that in classical teaching books that they never refer to the pinky in any of the mnemonic symbols for each finger.
# 5
Meta
Meta
04/05/2005 2:13 am
the true classical style involved alot of strict teachings,[how to sit/hold the guitar]
mainly never use your pinky you use the pima style p[thumb/pulgar] i[index] m[middle] a[ring/angular]

thats why often in classical you see these Pima signs some people use pimac wich includes the pinky or pimas [the same just diffrent letter] i like the pima style mainly cause it's true to original classical technique [and its tough to beat classical teachings].

on the fretting hand however its the index the middle,ring and pinky for fretting.

[i dissagree btw] strict technique is what helps bring out the music,maybey thats why there arent as many mauro giulianis or agustin barrios' [segovias,tarregas,sors,agaudos.etc]
|/- :eek: Zeeky Boogy Doog :eek: -\|
< - (o .0) - >
# 6
lesismore14
lesismore14
04/09/2005 5:54 pm
On the fretting hand I think it is almost mandatory to use your pinky. Many classical songs have chords that stretch from say, the 2nd fret to 7th, and are not possible any other way than to stretch your fingers that far (and you would most likely have to use the pinky)
On the picking hand, I personally never use my pinky, it just doesnt feel right for me, I think it is all personal preference.
[FONT=palatino linotype]Lesismore[/FONT]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.