Help! Need input on an Ibanez RG321!

Silimtao
Silimtao
01/21/2005 6:08 am
I posted in Gear, but got no responses. I've been playing over 30 yrs. but been on a 15 yr. break. Wife got me an Ibanez with a Floyd bridge. Returned it. But I LOVE the look and feel of the Ibanez necks. I'm normally a Fender guy, but I want something crunchier. I've tried out about 30 different Ibanez models, but none quite felt like the RG320 I had, then I found online RG321.

It has what I want: fixed bridge, no string locks, 24 frets. My concerns are mainly, it's so cheap! About $240 online. I know that cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad quality, but I'd like to know if anyone out there has this guitar, or knows enough to educate me about it; the good, bad, or ugly. I have to admit I'm sticking with the RG line cuz the guitar just looks...sexy, lol. Must be a mid-life crisis (just turned 47 yesterday). I can afford lots more (well to about a grand), but for some reason I keep coming back to to this particular model. Input would be much appreciated!
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1
KRUNO
KRUNO
01/21/2005 12:40 pm
It Is An Ok Guitar. For The Money, Of Course. But Rg Series Are Quite Ok. I Play Gsa 60 Ibanez And It Is Quite Ok. Of Course, Depends What Kind Of Music Do You Play? Hsh Configuration Might Sound A
Little Too Sharp. It Really Depends. But, In My Opinion, And I Played An Rg A Few Times, It Is An Ok Guitar For The Money. But I Prefer A
Hss Configuration. Hope This Helps!

Ps. Everyone Has His Own Opinion On The Topic!! Don"t Take This For Granted! You Should Try Guitar Out Before Buying It.
# 2
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/22/2005 2:54 am
Thank you both for your input. Yes, I agree a guitar should be road tested, but the RG321 isn't available anywhere for me to try, but the specs pretty much match the Ibanez I returned- quite frankly, ALL the RG models felt the same, and, for the most part, even sounded the same. I was in a Guitar Center store (kind of like a Toys R Us for guitars) and the salesman knew I was prepared to spend some serious money, so the set me up in a private room, and I tried 'em all on the same Marshall. Tried the GSA60 too, and that was on my short list; I think I didn't like the neck.

Akira: thanks for the link. I actually tried that guitar. The maple neck kinda threw me off since I was playing on rosewood since Xmas. Good catch on finding every spec I noted! I'm just obsessed with the RG models now- cool looking, fast neck, makes me just want to rock. pickups are kinda weak. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I just hope the 321 doesn't feel like a toy, cuz all roads seem to lead me back to that guitar. I've found on the Ibanez site higher end RGs with everything I want, but they're just not available. Oh, well- I've found some online sites with a 45-60 day return policy.

Thanks again for your input, and apologies for such a long post. You'll see in time I'm a real windbag.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 3
KRUNO
KRUNO
01/22/2005 11:13 am
Sorry Akira, i ačways forget that i have a caps lock on. Anyhow, PG model is a great guitar, but one thing bothers me. It has just a volume knob and that"s it.
And sometimes you need to sharpen the sound while you are playing. It should have a tone knob too, at least one. Like say Steve Vai ibanez...
Ah, the things i dream about...
Muzicari koji piju nikad nisu zedni!
# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/22/2005 2:22 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraIf every road is leading you to the RG321, then go for it. You said there was a return policy, so there's always a way out once you've bought the guitar.

Yeah, it seems it's going that way. What a PITA this has become for me. I want the Royal Blue color, and everywhere I check online, they'd have to special order it for me, as it's a discontinued model. Ya have to understand, after such a long layoff, you may not understand my frustration right now. Aaack, I'm just blowing off steam. Thanks again. I'll let ya know how things turn out. :(

# 5
par_k7
par_k7
01/22/2005 2:54 pm
I have an RG model, but mine is 7321 not 321. its just the same but 7 string neck. I have to agree that there is no guitar like the RG models. the tones are simply great, and outstanding sound, the jumbo frets give the fattest harmonics ever. I also agree that ibanez should road test their guitars and products, ive been to many "music live" venues but never have i seen an ibanez guitar, it is dissapointing because ibanez have a wide variety of products that people would love and they should really get out there and show off there brand. Par
# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/25/2005 1:14 am
Originally Posted by: par_k7I have an RG model, but mine is 7321 not 321. its just the same but 7 string neck. I have to agree that there is no guitar like the RG models. the tones are simply great, and outstanding sound, the jumbo frets give the fattest harmonics ever. I also agree that ibanez should road test their guitars and products, ive been to many "music live" venues but never have i seen an ibanez guitar, it is dissapointing because ibanez have a wide variety of products that people would love and they should really get out there and show off there brand. Par

Thanks for input. I'm investigating special ordering the Royal Blue I want. The only color available is a mahogany. I have enough mahogony guitars. The Royal Blue....seems silly about the color, but it just "feels" like a real rock 'n roll axe. One thing about Ibanez'- I find all their pickups pretty weak- but they sure feel real good, and the RG series look pretty.

# 7
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/25/2005 2:26 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoThanks for input. I'm investigating special ordering the Royal Blue I want. The only color available is a mahogany. I have enough mahogony guitars. The Royal Blue....seems silly about the color, but it just "feels" like a real rock 'n roll axe. One thing about Ibanez'- I find all their pickups pretty weak- but they sure feel real good, and the RG series look pretty.

I have an RG570 and it's awesome. Slim, fast neck, but you're right. The Pups are kind of weak. I havent' changed mine yet, but I may someday.

I don't think you can go wrong with an RG.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.