Roy buchanan..My New Guitar hero

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/22/2005 5:13 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoYour response suggests there's some kind of objective measuring stick to "good technique".

Yes. It's whatever he listens to. Right now, it's Django.

Not long ago, it was Jerry Garcia.

/grain of salt
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/22/2005 1:52 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovYes. It's whatever he listens to. Right now, it's Django.

Not long ago, it was Jerry Garcia.

/grain of salt

Hello Raskolnikov,

Well, I guess your explanation certainly clears that up! It's too bad Incidents can't speak- or refuses to - for himself.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/22/2005 5:51 pm
No, that's incorrect. I listen to more Chopin than I do Django, I just pointed out Django because he's a prime example of someone who had to develop good technique since he could only use two fingers.

Now, alot of what I'm talking about when I say their technique, I'm speaking in a live fashion. Get yourself a copy of "Jimi Hendrix: Blue Wild Angel (Live at the Isle of Wight), or a copy of when he plays at the Filmore or in berkeley. They are sloppy players who have ideas but don't have the discipline to represent them in a tasteful way. Neither player uses his pinky, and one could argue that it's not necessary in the blues, I suppose, but to me that's unnaceptable. Jimi tenses up when he's playing (clapton not as much). Now since you're classically trained, you should know that it's a big no-no. You should also know that hitting the notes with your fingers on a slant is a big no-no too.
Look, these things didn't make Jimi a star. If anything, they hindered his abiltiy to play. I'm not going to go into his "signature" technique, I won't attack that since it enabled him to be rather unique in his day

~Incidents

I'm attacking Hendrix more than Clapton, since clapton did something I like. He mixed it up. He learned a little jazz (Reptile), some classical (Classical Gas), etc. Now had hendrix lived as long, maybe he would've done that too.
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/22/2005 6:19 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenI'm attacking Hendrix more than Clapton, since clapton did something I like.

I rest my case.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/22/2005 6:36 pm
WHAT EVER HAPPEND TO ...

Roy buchanan????
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/22/2005 7:25 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovI rest my case.

You never had a case to begin with.

~Incidents
# 6
ebrunda
ebrunda
01/22/2005 9:08 pm
You're pretty ignorant, "incident". As someone previously stated, technique doesn't make the music.... soul does...
# 7
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/22/2005 9:42 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941WHAT EVER HAPPEND TO ...
Roy buchanan????

Roy committed suicide in 1984
# 8
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/22/2005 10:33 pm
Originally Posted by: pstringRoy committed suicide in 1984

lol I didnt mean what happend to him literally. I just wondered since this is a Roy thread, whats the deal with this stupid fight over if Hendrix has a good tone of not?
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 9
SpeckledJim
SpeckledJim
01/22/2005 11:01 pm
ive heard of this roy buchanan. i havent read many of the posts so i dont know does he play a telecaster? if it is him then he is a very good player.
Fender telecaster (2004)
Ash body
# 10
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/22/2005 11:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents Happen
Now, alot of what I'm talking about when I say their technique, I'm speaking in a live fashion. Get yourself a copy of "Jimi Hendrix: Blue Wild Angel (Live at the Isle of Wight), or a copy of when he plays at the Filmore or in berkeley. They are sloppy players who have ideas but don't have the discipline to represent them in a tasteful way. Neither player uses his pinky, and one could argue that it's not necessary in the blues, I suppose, but to me that's unnaceptable. Jimi tenses up when he's playing (clapton not as much). Now since you're classically trained, you should know that it's a big no-no. You should also know that hitting the notes with your fingers on a slant is a big no-no too.
Look, these things didn't make Jimi a star. If anything, they hindered his abiltiy to play. I'm not going to go into his "signature" technique, I won't attack that since it enabled him to be rather unique in his day

~Incidents

I'm attacking Hendrix more than Clapton, since clapton did something I like. He mixed it up. He learned a little jazz (Reptile), some classical (Classical Gas), etc. Now had hendrix lived as long, maybe he would've done that too.

Oh, man, I can't believe what you've just said. And I think you should REALLY, REALLY think about it also in the years to come as a guitarist. You're really only talking about the MECHANICS of playing, and in a very narrow context at that. You agreed with pstring that technique is only one part of the puzzle, and I do also. To use both classical guitar playing and jazz to buttress your position only undermines your argument. Classical players don't use a pick, jazz players do (for the most part). Classical players use only acoustic, nylon-stringed guitars. So I guess Joe Pass has lousy technique.

Technique is only a means to an end. I couldn't care less if Hendrix or Segovia played with their di***, as long as what I heard moved me. But you seem to be using the argument of "technique" to simply slam players you don't like. If you simply didn't like Hedrix' music, you should have just said so.

I think you'd fit in real well at Berklee if they're like they were when I attended in the late 70's; but don't bother if you don't strictly play with a floating hand and alternate pick EVERY note. They consider any other way poor technique.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 11
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/22/2005 11:09 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941lol I didnt mean what happend to him literally. I just wondered since this is a Roy thread, whats the deal with this stupid fight over if Hendrix has a good tone of not?

Sorry, we did get a bit off-topic. Buchanan rocked, and his technique was uniquely his own. :D

# 12
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/22/2005 11:16 pm
Originally Posted by: SpeckledJimive heard of this roy buchanan. i havent read many of the posts so i dont know does he play a telecaster? if it is him then he is a very good player.

Yes he played aTele, and sometimes a Strat. I *think* I saw him play a Les Paul at one of his live concerts, but I may be wrong. But he's best known for his Telly. Check out his live album "Livestock"- I think that'd give you a pretty overview of his playing. Or his "Black" album. "The Messiah Will Come Again" is worth the price of the disc, and will knock your socks off.

# 13
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/23/2005 2:21 am
Originally Posted by: ebrundaYou're pretty ignorant, "incident". As someone previously stated, technique doesn't make the music.... soul does...

Fine, I guess I'm in the wrong for not sucking off Jimi Hendrix like everyone else appears to be doing.

~Incidents
# 14
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/23/2005 2:34 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoOh, man, I can't believe what you've just said. And I think you should REALLY, REALLY think about it also in the years to come as a guitarist. You're really only talking about the MECHANICS of playing, and in a very narrow context at that.

You're forgetting that Joe Pass was often seen in his earlier days wielding a nylon-string guitar. He simply used a pick instead of his fingers. And that's only one aspect of it. Jazz players have for years studied classical guitar simply for the benefits the technique brings them. Hendrix had significant problems in his technique that limited the genre's he could attack. Basically, Bluesy-rock, and...........what else? That's right. NOTHING. Hendrix could have never accomplished anything else (by critical standards) in any other form of music until he "upgraded" his technique. Are you advocating that Jimi Hendrix has good technique? Can you not hear how sloppy his playing is? Furthermore, can you not hear how his technique limits his songwriting abiltiy (And people reading, if you are dumb enough to think that Hendrix wrote All Along the Watchtower and Hey Joe, don't even waste your time with this thread since you're probably twelve years old playing a white stratocaster)?

All of the things I mentioned about Hendrix's technique- with his posture, tension, finger placement, could have been fixed. And Jimi Hendrix would have been better for it. Now what's the problem?

~Incidents
# 15
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/23/2005 2:39 am
Originally Posted by: ebrundaYou're pretty ignorant, "incident". As someone previously stated, technique doesn't make the music.... soul does...

This is incredibly stupid; tell Paganini that.

~Incidents
# 16
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/23/2005 4:04 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents Happen
All of the things I mentioned about Hendrix's technique- with his posture, tension, finger placement, could have been fixed. And Jimi Hendrix would have been better for it. Now what's the problem?
~Incidents

What's the problem? Hmmm...JMHO:
You're not directly responsive to anything I've posted. You go off on tangents.

I find you pretty narrow-minded, and tend to generalize far too much.

Technique and song-writing ability have NOTHING to do with each other. I know plenty of people that don't play a single instrument, but can write beautiful lyrics and melodies- well, someone else sets the music down on paper for them. I'll grant the ability to read/write music *may* help one's song-writing ability. I told you my story at Berklee- the more I learned about music, the poorer I became as a player.

You seem to judge musicianship by how one LOOKS when playing.

You can't think outside of the box of classical or jazz.

Since you ask of Hendrix' lack of genres he could attack, I'll ask you the same of Joe Pass. What is he REALLY known for except for his chord solos? Here's a bulletin for ya: I saw Pass play once, AND HIS THUMB WAS HANGING OVER THE GUITAR! GAWD! THE SKY IS CRYING! I'm sure you'd say one's thumb hanging over the edge of the neck is a "no-no". Segovia certainly wouldn't approve! Hey, you keep dragging classical and jazz together, so don't blame me for doing the same.

Good technique doesn't equal good musicianship. The peeps I went to school with are all great technicians, but few are worth a damn as musicians. As for myself, I was GREAT technician, looking back. Good enough for Lenny Breau (google him; he's a jazz legend) to have written a letter of recommendation for me to Berklee; in fact, he's the one who talked me into going there. But even with my great technique across all types of genres; jazz, classical (ok, not that great in classical), bluegrass,ragtime, blues/rock- I think I suck.

I'm not advocating for or against Hendrix' technique. But I will say unequivically that he's a rock GOD. He kicks ass. He raised the bar of rock guitar playing to levels most rockers can only dream about. As much as I may like other guitar players more, like Santana, off the top of my head at the moment, I can't think of another rocker that REVOLUTIONIZED guitar playing the way he did.

But you're forgiven due to your youth. Hopefully, in time, you'll see it's not HOW you play that matters, it's WHAT you play.

And by the way, can you correct the spelling in your sig? It's spelled breathE. "E" at the end, as in techniquE. ;)

# 17
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/23/2005 4:19 am
Ok, I seriously think that we agree, it's just a long series of misinterpretations, and myself not being clear enough. These things are easier in person to talk about. As far as Hendrix being a rock god, yes I agree. And had you said Hendrix elevated ROCK guitar, then i would have agreed in the first place. But Hendrix in my opinion did not elevate the guitar when you look at the whole spectrum of music, and that's why I brought up Django and Pass. Of course, this is all opinion.
The entire reason I brought up classical and Jazz music is because most people never look outside of rock, and it's unfortunate. My one and only point was to say that Hendrix did not have a good technique. He was a great emotional player, and how he does the "machine gun" sends shivers down my spine. It's just that lately I've met guitarists that think he was good in technical terms, which is simply false.

~Incidents
# 18
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/23/2005 5:34 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenOk, I seriously think that we agree, it's just a long series of misinterpretations, and myself not being clear enough. These things are easier in person to talk about. As far as Hendrix being a rock god, yes I agree. And had you said Hendrix elevated ROCK guitar, then i would have agreed in the first place. But Hendrix in my opinion did not elevate the guitar when you look at the whole spectrum of music, and that's why I brought up Django and Pass. Of course, this is all opinion.
The entire reason I brought up classical and Jazz music is because most people never look outside of rock, and it's unfortunate. My one and only point was to say that Hendrix did not have a good technique. He was a great emotional player, and how he does the "machine gun" sends shivers down my spine. It's just that lately I've met guitarists that think he was good in technical terms, which is simply false.

~Incidents

I really don't like you. Not because of your opinion.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 19
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/23/2005 6:15 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoI think you'd fit in real well at Berklee if they're like they were when I attended in the late 70's; but don't bother if you don't strictly play with a floating hand and alternate pick EVERY note. They consider any other way poor technique.[/QUOTE]
A friend of mine (DIABOLICALLY good guitarist) quit a few years ago because he got sick of being told that a B-flat-flat wasn't an A.

Sound familiar?

[QUOTE=Incidents Happen]This is incredibly stupid; tell Paganini that.

So now are you going to tell us that technically perfect Synclavier music ISN'T the most gawd-awfuly sterile, unlistenable tripe on the planet?

Humanity is in the imperfections, brah.

Nice reversal on the "not liking Hendrix" thing, btw.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.