View post (Roy buchanan..My New Guitar hero)

View thread

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/23/2005 2:34 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoOh, man, I can't believe what you've just said. And I think you should REALLY, REALLY think about it also in the years to come as a guitarist. You're really only talking about the MECHANICS of playing, and in a very narrow context at that.

You're forgetting that Joe Pass was often seen in his earlier days wielding a nylon-string guitar. He simply used a pick instead of his fingers. And that's only one aspect of it. Jazz players have for years studied classical guitar simply for the benefits the technique brings them. Hendrix had significant problems in his technique that limited the genre's he could attack. Basically, Bluesy-rock, and...........what else? That's right. NOTHING. Hendrix could have never accomplished anything else (by critical standards) in any other form of music until he "upgraded" his technique. Are you advocating that Jimi Hendrix has good technique? Can you not hear how sloppy his playing is? Furthermore, can you not hear how his technique limits his songwriting abiltiy (And people reading, if you are dumb enough to think that Hendrix wrote All Along the Watchtower and Hey Joe, don't even waste your time with this thread since you're probably twelve years old playing a white stratocaster)?

All of the things I mentioned about Hendrix's technique- with his posture, tension, finger placement, could have been fixed. And Jimi Hendrix would have been better for it. Now what's the problem?

~Incidents