View post (Roy buchanan..My New Guitar hero)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
01/23/2005 4:04 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents Happen
All of the things I mentioned about Hendrix's technique- with his posture, tension, finger placement, could have been fixed. And Jimi Hendrix would have been better for it. Now what's the problem?
~Incidents

What's the problem? Hmmm...JMHO:
You're not directly responsive to anything I've posted. You go off on tangents.

I find you pretty narrow-minded, and tend to generalize far too much.

Technique and song-writing ability have NOTHING to do with each other. I know plenty of people that don't play a single instrument, but can write beautiful lyrics and melodies- well, someone else sets the music down on paper for them. I'll grant the ability to read/write music *may* help one's song-writing ability. I told you my story at Berklee- the more I learned about music, the poorer I became as a player.

You seem to judge musicianship by how one LOOKS when playing.

You can't think outside of the box of classical or jazz.

Since you ask of Hendrix' lack of genres he could attack, I'll ask you the same of Joe Pass. What is he REALLY known for except for his chord solos? Here's a bulletin for ya: I saw Pass play once, AND HIS THUMB WAS HANGING OVER THE GUITAR! GAWD! THE SKY IS CRYING! I'm sure you'd say one's thumb hanging over the edge of the neck is a "no-no". Segovia certainly wouldn't approve! Hey, you keep dragging classical and jazz together, so don't blame me for doing the same.

Good technique doesn't equal good musicianship. The peeps I went to school with are all great technicians, but few are worth a damn as musicians. As for myself, I was GREAT technician, looking back. Good enough for Lenny Breau (google him; he's a jazz legend) to have written a letter of recommendation for me to Berklee; in fact, he's the one who talked me into going there. But even with my great technique across all types of genres; jazz, classical (ok, not that great in classical), bluegrass,ragtime, blues/rock- I think I suck.

I'm not advocating for or against Hendrix' technique. But I will say unequivically that he's a rock GOD. He kicks ass. He raised the bar of rock guitar playing to levels most rockers can only dream about. As much as I may like other guitar players more, like Santana, off the top of my head at the moment, I can't think of another rocker that REVOLUTIONIZED guitar playing the way he did.

But you're forgiven due to your youth. Hopefully, in time, you'll see it's not HOW you play that matters, it's WHAT you play.

And by the way, can you correct the spelling in your sig? It's spelled breathE. "E" at the end, as in techniquE. ;)
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)