View post (Roy buchanan..My New Guitar hero)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
01/22/2005 11:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents Happen
Now, alot of what I'm talking about when I say their technique, I'm speaking in a live fashion. Get yourself a copy of "Jimi Hendrix: Blue Wild Angel (Live at the Isle of Wight), or a copy of when he plays at the Filmore or in berkeley. They are sloppy players who have ideas but don't have the discipline to represent them in a tasteful way. Neither player uses his pinky, and one could argue that it's not necessary in the blues, I suppose, but to me that's unnaceptable. Jimi tenses up when he's playing (clapton not as much). Now since you're classically trained, you should know that it's a big no-no. You should also know that hitting the notes with your fingers on a slant is a big no-no too.
Look, these things didn't make Jimi a star. If anything, they hindered his abiltiy to play. I'm not going to go into his "signature" technique, I won't attack that since it enabled him to be rather unique in his day

~Incidents

I'm attacking Hendrix more than Clapton, since clapton did something I like. He mixed it up. He learned a little jazz (Reptile), some classical (Classical Gas), etc. Now had hendrix lived as long, maybe he would've done that too.

Oh, man, I can't believe what you've just said. And I think you should REALLY, REALLY think about it also in the years to come as a guitarist. You're really only talking about the MECHANICS of playing, and in a very narrow context at that. You agreed with pstring that technique is only one part of the puzzle, and I do also. To use both classical guitar playing and jazz to buttress your position only undermines your argument. Classical players don't use a pick, jazz players do (for the most part). Classical players use only acoustic, nylon-stringed guitars. So I guess Joe Pass has lousy technique.

Technique is only a means to an end. I couldn't care less if Hendrix or Segovia played with their di***, as long as what I heard moved me. But you seem to be using the argument of "technique" to simply slam players you don't like. If you simply didn't like Hedrix' music, you should have just said so.

I think you'd fit in real well at Berklee if they're like they were when I attended in the late 70's; but don't bother if you don't strictly play with a floating hand and alternate pick EVERY note. They consider any other way poor technique.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)