View post (Roy buchanan..My New Guitar hero)

View thread

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/22/2005 5:51 pm
No, that's incorrect. I listen to more Chopin than I do Django, I just pointed out Django because he's a prime example of someone who had to develop good technique since he could only use two fingers.

Now, alot of what I'm talking about when I say their technique, I'm speaking in a live fashion. Get yourself a copy of "Jimi Hendrix: Blue Wild Angel (Live at the Isle of Wight), or a copy of when he plays at the Filmore or in berkeley. They are sloppy players who have ideas but don't have the discipline to represent them in a tasteful way. Neither player uses his pinky, and one could argue that it's not necessary in the blues, I suppose, but to me that's unnaceptable. Jimi tenses up when he's playing (clapton not as much). Now since you're classically trained, you should know that it's a big no-no. You should also know that hitting the notes with your fingers on a slant is a big no-no too.
Look, these things didn't make Jimi a star. If anything, they hindered his abiltiy to play. I'm not going to go into his "signature" technique, I won't attack that since it enabled him to be rather unique in his day

~Incidents

I'm attacking Hendrix more than Clapton, since clapton did something I like. He mixed it up. He learned a little jazz (Reptile), some classical (Classical Gas), etc. Now had hendrix lived as long, maybe he would've done that too.