unreal band tactics

raymond james
raymond james
01/17/2005 5:24 am
I'm writting this because, quite frankley I am pissed. my band has been together for about 4 years. The first two and a half years were spent writing music and rehearsing. We played a few shows here and there with other original bands and opened for a few cover bands. In the local sence there are few places that will hire a all original band. So we got tired of playing barb-b-ques, and we put together a whole night of covers and originals. Then we started to get bookings all over a 3 hundred mile radius. We get to play nice big clubs and get paid for it, and thousands of people get to hear our songs and buy them. People and club owners really like us and within a year we have got featured on an half hour Fox TV show, been all over the newspapers and may have a small label interested in us. During the all this going on we supported all the bands around us trying to get recording contracts, playing with them, getting them shows, recording demos for them and always mentioning them when ever we got any specail attention, all the local bands support each other. We want us all to make it, there is some great music around here. But all in all we are all dirt poor and stuggling with families and life. So lets get to the point, last night we played a gig with a new soundman, he was runing sound for this one band, they will only play for a hour, all originals, and they will only accept headlining gigs. so they were pretty limited to were they could play and they refused to learn any other songs. This soundman had spent a lot of money on this band.(sound gear,lighting effects,lasers ,fog, all kinds of ****) Due to the lack of shows he was going to loss all his stuff, they would do a show every couple of months and pay him $50 a night and he couldn't do it any more. He knew we needed a steady soundguy and we play ten shows a month and pay $150 a night.
So when the other band took a break, he told them he couldn't do anymore the work wasn't steady enough. Now this other band does not get along well with others, they think they are better than the rest of us because we play cover songs and have sold out, they don't get along with any of the local bands, it is really sad, they're not bad but there nothing to write home about. But they are pretty nasty and led by the iron fisted managers, the bands wives, and they are out of control. Like I was saying we were playing this gig with the new soundman. (In a club that just kicked out this other band for breaking contract, they played for one hour and exspected to be paid for the whole night, they caused a sence and were thrown out.) While we were playing the gig they came and slashed the soundmans tires, I mean really what is that! This is one of there trademark things and I am friends with the bass player and he implied to me that this would happen, pretty good friend huh? We have done alot for this band as far as gigs and promotion, and this little attack on there exsoundman, left my band screwed, we couldn't even get our equipment home. Pretty funny huh? We just can't believe this, we are all suppost to be friends! Very angry indeed! Sorry for the spelling.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/17/2005 4:35 pm
call 911 and ask for the police. Tell them what has happened and listen to what they have to say. If the other band threaten you, call the police and if needs be have a restraining order put on them.

Don't take any more crap off them, they are whey out of line.

Phone the club and see if they have any CCTV in the parking lot.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/17/2005 8:37 pm
That's awesome that your band is so successful! that is not awesome that the other band is a bunch of jerks. umm, well I'm sure you don't want my advice, because it would invlove some kind of revenge, and that could lead to legal lawsuits, which could put an end to your whole band's success. plus you sound like a really nice person, promoting other bands and whatnot, so you probably wouldn't be coldhearted enough to do it. so you're best bet is to go the police... no not the band from the 80s... yeah you know what I mean, I think.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
hammetthead13
hammetthead13
01/18/2005 7:39 pm
that's definately out of order. a bands signature thing is slashing tyres and threating others? that needs to be stopped, with legal force. this band have probably done this before to other unfortunate people, so they should be to sentanced to reparation ( i just wanted to use a fancy law word :p ). this basically means that they need to repair the damage they have done, by compensating the victim /s.
My amp is a weapon of mas DISTORTION!!!!
# 4
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/19/2005 5:26 am
sounds like you are already on a lable lol
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 5
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
01/19/2005 4:59 pm
Yeah yeah... everyone says call the police and I am not saying that this is a bad thing by no means whatsoever.... but unless you can actually prove they did it they are going to get away with it...

So revel in this...

Karma is a bitch and will come back to bite them in the A$$... and one day when you are able to quit your day job and support yourself 100% with your music, and you see the guitar player from this a$$hole band bussing a table at the restruant you are at... just remember to drink yourself sick and puke all over the table and floor so he has to clean it up... or at least keep knocking your drink over and over and over again... then when he is on the floor cleaning it up knock your dessert over on his head....

Just Desserts INDEED!!!!
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 6
mbuvoltz
mbuvoltz
01/19/2005 6:10 pm
F*ck friends, Kill'em All!
# 7
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/20/2005 11:14 pm
First, congratulations on your success.

I have to agree with the others. Legal action should be taken. The slashing of the tires should be reported ASAP. That was a criminal act.

Civil action can be taken also. You can sue the other band for damages, but keep in mind the burden is on you to prove it. Hopefully, as someone asked, security cameras, if in place would definitely helpful.

Quite frankly, if that happened to me, I'd break the fingers of everyone in that band and shove their axes where the sun don't shine. Keep in mind I'm not suggesting that YOU take that type of action. That's just me. I've spent the last 20 yrs. in courtrooms, and there's an old lawyer's saying- "you don't find justice in a courtroom."

Watch your back, and keep DETAILED records of any future problems. Should any of the other band members threaten you or your bandmates, report it to the police IMMEDIATELY, and swear out a complaint, and seek an Order of Protection. I don't know what country/state you're writing from, so I'm giving you pretty generic advice. Hopefully this was a one time incident.

Congratulations again on your success. Keep rockin' dude.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.