speed picking techniques...HELP!!!!

raymond james
raymond james
01/06/2005 8:15 am
I've been playing guitar for over 15 years. Professionally for the last 6 in a metal band doing alot of covers and a ton of songs that I've written. I have played hugh places, small places, television shows, international fests, and so on, I am also a guitar teacher. So I feel pretty stupid for asking this, but, this has has pissed me off for over a decade.

When I'm doing rythm work, my right hand is extremely fast. When I do solo work, my left hand dominates and my right hand won't sync up. My lead work is very smooth (due to a lack of picking) and the speed I what is there, but I want that machine gun picking power on comand. I want the pentonic fire like Zakk and Dimebag.

Now before you give me a bunch of picking drills and exercises. I've been doing that for years. ( sweep picking and alternating) I have burned hours away drilling myself but my picking speed never seems to incease. I have tryed everything, am I missing something? I'm a really good player, even a local guitar hero. (dare I say...ha ha) I think my technique is good, heavy pick, light touch. I take my time and try to build picking speed using a metrodome. Everyone seems to have figured it out, but me. Is there any secrets,like a quick fix to the right road.

Recording of my bands first album is starting within weeks. I would really like to use this technique on the album, I'm known as a crazy lead player, but I don't want to limit myself in hammer-on hell. Please can anyone help? And please don't think I'm an idoit. Thankx
# 1
Mortalcoil
Mortalcoil
01/06/2005 11:04 am
Sounds like you are practicing on the speed picking alot and not getting results?

It's hard to say, but it would seem that there [U]may[/U] be something [U]fundamentally[/U] wrong with your picking technique then. Maybe excess tension, incorrect posture, anchoring, ... you need to be more specific I'm afraid.
# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/06/2005 11:57 pm
Originally Posted by: raymond jamesI've been playing guitar for over 15 years. Professionally for the last 6 in a metal band doing alot of covers and a ton of songs that I've written. I have played hugh places, small places, television shows, international fests, and so on, I am also a guitar teacher. So I feel pretty stupid for asking this, but, this has has pissed me off for over a decade.

When I'm doing rythm work, my right hand is extremely fast. When I do solo work, my left hand dominates and my right hand won't sync up. My lead work is very smooth (due to a lack of picking) and the speed I what is there, but I want that machine gun picking power on comand. I want the pentonic fire like Zakk and Dimebag.

Now before you give me a bunch of picking drills and exercises. I've been doing that for years. ( sweep picking and alternating) I have burned hours away drilling myself but my picking speed never seems to incease. I have tryed everything, am I missing something? I'm a really good player, even a local guitar hero. (dare I say...ha ha) I think my technique is good, heavy pick, light touch. I take my time and try to build picking speed using a metrodome. Everyone seems to have figured it out, but me. Is there any secrets,like a quick fix to the right road.

Recording of my bands first album is starting within weeks. I would really like to use this technique on the album, I'm known as a crazy lead player, but I don't want to limit myself in hammer-on hell. Please can anyone help? And please don't think I'm an idoit. Thankx

I know you said not to say it, but it takes practice. I am by no means a speed demon, but I can get going pretty good at times.

How is your tremelo picking? Michael Angelo Batio has a theory called PPS (Potential Picking Speed). Meaning as fast as you can tremelo pick, is your potential picking speed for your alternate and economy picking. If you're having problems with synching up, it would seem to me that you're trying to start blazing as soon as you see a lick.

I just noticed that in your post you mention only alternate picking and sweeping, but no economy picking. Myself, I find economy picking much easier and can play much faster that way.

Here's an example:

e|----------------------------------------------------------5--7--8---
b|-----------------------------------------------5---6--8-------------
g|------------------------------------4---5---7-----------------------
d|--------------------------3--5--7-----------------------------------
a|--------------3---5---7---------------------------------------------
E|----3--5--7---------------------------------------------------------

Now instead of doing alternate picking (down,up,down,up,down,up) You would instead do economy (down, up, down, down, up, down, down, up, down). It combines alternate picking with sweeping and with 3 note per string runs like this one, can build some great speed.

As for anchoring your hand, there's nothing wrong with that, many speed demons anchor, and some float, it's personal preference really.

Please provide some examples of what kind of specific problems you're having. Just synching up?
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3
Michael Romeo
Michael Romeo
01/07/2005 6:36 am
all you have to do is practice scales. Start then out slow then build up speed. Try using a metronome.
# 4
ostatee
ostatee
01/07/2005 2:08 pm
Hi there,
I saw your mail and I felt you were actually asking your question on my behalf.I have also been playing since 1988, August to be precise,but I also have problem of speed.I guess what we need is a constant speed rehearsal.This will definately add more to our skills.I wish you all the best.
N>b.
I want anybody with the contacts of George Benson,Earl Klugh and Agboola Shadare to please e-mail [email]me.ostatee@hotmail.com.Than[/email]k you.
# 5
ostatee
ostatee
01/07/2005 2:21 pm
Hi there,
Please,I would like to know how I can get a software that will be very good for me to learn jazz guitar.I am an African based in Lagos,Nigeria and I want to learn more on how to be a professional jazz guitarist.
Anybody with useful information should please e-mail:::: [email]ostatee@hotmail.com[/email].
Thank you.
# 6
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/07/2005 11:59 pm
Umm what do you mean by Machin Gun Power? Like how John Petrucci plays? If you just said Zakk Wyld, I would know what your talking about, but Dime is kinda bluzzie ...o well

But if you talking about just speed tremelo picking which does sound like a machin gun, just alternate pick as fast as you can in the 12 to 19 frets. If by any chance you like Dave Mustaine, this is what you should do

Example

E-12-12-12-|-15-12-14-12-17-12-15-12-14-12-12-12-|-15-12-14-12-17-12-15-14-12-12-12-

see the patter? thats a good lick and also a good practice and also a good finger stretching tab. So just alternate pick that as fast as you can, and it will have that punch... but im not 100% what you mean... so sorry if didnt get you
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 7
silentmusic
silentmusic
01/09/2005 10:22 am
another lil tip when speed picking is to accent ur notes eg; if ur doing a chromatic ex on the 12th fret u would do as follows:
(12) -13 -14 -15
v
(accent the 12th ) the next note on the next string basicaly hit it a lil harder
(12)- 13 14 15

so accent the next or first note on the following string that way u can hear the speed build up as u go through ur tech so accent the notes in brackets () :D
Akira says;
"i was expecting some 3476 string string skipping with some 23489172343 octave sweeps and some alt picking runs at 345734237623572bpm in 234872364781246164516th notes across your 2384723648724627348623478264 fret guitar"
# 8
silentmusic
silentmusic
01/09/2005 10:29 am
Originally Posted by: silentmusicanother lil tip when speed picking is to accent ur notes eg; if ur doing a chromatic ex on the 12th fret u would do as follows:
(12) -13 -14 -15
v
(accent the 12th ) the next note on the next string basicaly hit it a lil harder
(12)- 13 14 15

so accent the next or first note on the following string that way u can hear the speed build up as u go through ur tech so accent the notes in brackets () :D

oh yea that just gives u a reference point when u have a metronome or some type of beat going for when ur speeding up the picking so u would accent the notes to the beat or drums or shouting or cats and dogs barking in a perfect world where they could live together happily :D and so on...
Akira says;
"i was expecting some 3476 string string skipping with some 23489172343 octave sweeps and some alt picking runs at 345734237623572bpm in 234872364781246164516th notes across your 2384723648724627348623478264 fret guitar"
# 9
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/19/2005 5:20 am
i got pretty fast by playing a bunch of old metallica songs (off of kill em all ride lighting and puppets) as fast as i could with all down strokes. much more fun then speed drills. The up stroke just came naturally with other songs.

Can you turn your lable on to my rock band lol
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 10
Cody_King
Cody_King
01/20/2005 6:01 am
my thought is probley to much tension built up from practicing over the years and you dont even relize that your tense, just try to concentrate on your muscles while your doing it, see if that helps.
# 11
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/22/2005 11:14 am
Since you already play your music styles at professional level , I donno what's pissing you ?!
There's nothing wrong with too much legato or fluid playing , may be it's your thing ... Check out Satriani , I never heard him speed picking or sweeping like Michael Angelo , but yet he's better on many other fronts.
# 12
Kateshi
Kateshi
01/22/2005 6:19 pm
If you have a problem with left and right hand syncing up heres a little workout to fix that . Its a simple exercise, but you really have to focus in on when the patter repeats...thats the secret, you have to know when your picking down and up...

-{12}-13-15-(12)-13-15-{12}-13-15-(12)-13-15- etc....
------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------ {} Downstroke
------------------------------------------------ () Upstroke

-{12}-13-15-13-{12}-13-15-13-{12}-13-15-13-{12}- etc...
-----------------------------------------------------
again try to focus on when you repeat the pattern.
As for runs scross multiple strings or string skipping, focus on the pick
direction as you move to another string, whether its down or up. This really
helps keep me in sync. Come up with your own patterns, success will not be that hard to attain.
# 13
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/23/2005 2:24 am
Originally Posted by: raymond james And please don't think I'm an idoit. Thankx

Why would anyone think you're an idiot?

Along with economy picking as already described, do you circular pick, or you pick in a straight up and down manner? Circular picking isn't straight up and down; you attack the string at a slight angle both up and down- kinda like this if you pick right handed: down:/ up:\. You can start with large circles at first, then make them smaller and smalller, so the shape of 1 up and down would look like an elipse: () <- look sideways. Then make that as small as possible. I also found playing on a steel-string acoustic with a high action helps using as hard a pick as you can find. If you can pick fast and clean on an acoustic, then you should be ripping right along on an electric. I find 3 note triplets across the neck a good exercise. When you get circular down, incorporate economy picking. It does take awhile to get this into your "muscle memory"- but once you get it, it's like riding a bike. I've just started playing after a 15 yr. layoff, and not too up on the latest players. Last week I saw an instructional video by Zakk Wylde using the pentatonic scale, and all I could think was "WHOA!" regarding his speed. It took me about 15 mins. to play some of his riffs as fast as him...distortion helped a bit, lol; playing clean, I could hear my mistakes. Oh, I think using a medium gauge teardrop "jazz" pick using the very tip only helps, and using the meat of your thumb gets you some nice harmonics. Congrats on your success. I envy you.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 14
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/24/2005 4:58 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoWhy would anyone think you're an idiot?

Along with economy picking as already described, do you circular pick, or you pick in a straight up and down manner? Circular picking isn't straight up and down; you attack the string at a slight angle both up and down- kinda like this if you pick right handed: down:/ up:\. You can start with large circles at first, then make them smaller and smalller, so the shape of 1 up and down would look like an elipse: () <- look sideways. Then make that as small as possible. I also found playing on a steel-string acoustic with a high action helps using as hard a pick as you can find. If you can pick fast and clean on an acoustic, then you should be ripping right along on an electric. I find 3 note triplets across the neck a good exercise. When you get circular down, incorporate economy picking. It does take awhile to get this into your "muscle memory"- but once you get it, it's like riding a bike. I've just started playing after a 15 yr. layoff, and not too up on the latest players. Last week I saw an instructional video by Zakk Wylde using the pentatonic scale, and all I could think was "WHOA!" regarding his speed. It took me about 15 mins. to play some of his riffs as fast as him...distortion helped a bit, lol; playing clean, I could hear my mistakes. Oh, I think using a medium gauge teardrop "jazz" pick using the very tip only helps, and using the meat of your thumb gets you some nice harmonics. Congrats on your success. I envy you.

Can you explain this a little bit more clearly please. If I did this circular thing that you speak of I might beable to break the sound barrier.
# 15
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/24/2005 6:23 am
Originally Posted by: HambergCan you explain this a little bit more clearly please. If I did this circular thing that you speak of I might beable to break the sound barrier.

Hmm...kinda tough to put into words...

Keep in mind, there's various ways to circle pick, but I'll try to explain my approach the best I can. Assuming you pick with your right hand:

pick just ONE string for now, say the top E; don't even fret it.

Rest forearm on body of neck. Rest the guitar on your right thigh.

Using the thumb and forefinger ONLY, attack the downward stroke towards your left knee; on the upstroke, also at an angle toward your right shouldER.

Start slowly, until you get the hang of the mechanics, especially if you're a straight up/down picker. Exaggerate the motions at first to see and feel the difference between how you pick now.

Next, pick up the speed, but make the up/down "tighter"- smaller. When you get comfortable, you can incorporate your wrist; when you incorporate your wrist, makes sure it's loose. Let the wrist do most of the work now; NOT the the thumb/forefinger AND the wrist together. No way can you get the 2 in sync.

I usually start with the thumb/forefinger first, 1, to keep it really simple, and 2, so you can easily see how different it is from a straight up/down. Try it now; pick straight up/down as fast as you can (without moviing your whole arm), then try what I explained above. Feel the difference?

Your ultimate goal is to get that "circular" movement as small as possible- which is reall an elipse, that I described in my earlier post:
() <--make that as tight as possible- (look at it sideways).

When I'm picking as fast as I can, I often move my whole arm. I'm told that's "wrong", but it works for me. The key though is to be as relaxed as possible. Otherwise, you'll end up with tendonitis of the elbow (tennis elbow).

That's the best I can do at this hour (1:30 a.m. where I am). Google cirular picking, I'm sure you'll find hits on different approaches. Hope this was of some help. If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer.

Remember: SPEED KILLS! :D

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 16
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/24/2005 7:17 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoHmm...kinda tough to put into words...

Keep in mind, there's various ways to circle pick, but I'll try to explain my approach the best I can. Assuming you pick with your right hand:

pick just ONE string for now, say the top E; don't even fret it.

Rest forearm on body of neck. Rest the guitar on your right thigh.

Using the thumb and forefinger ONLY, attack the downward stroke towards your left knee; on the upstroke, also at an angle toward your right shouldER.

Start slowly, until you get the hang of the mechanics, especially if you're a straight up/down picker. Exaggerate the motions at first to see and feel the difference between how you pick now.

Next, pick up the speed, but make the up/down "tighter"- smaller. When you get comfortable, you can incorporate your wrist; when you incorporate your wrist, makes sure it's loose. Let the wrist do most of the work now; NOT the the thumb/forefinger AND the wrist together. No way can you get the 2 in sync.

I usually start with the thumb/forefinger first, 1, to keep it really simple, and 2, so you can easily see how different it is from a straight up/down. Try it now; pick straight up/down as fast as you can (without moviing your whole arm), then try what I explained above. Feel the difference?

Your ultimate goal is to get that "circular" movement as small as possible- which is reall an elipse, that I described in my earlier post:
() <--make that as tight as possible- (look at it sideways).

When I'm picking as fast as I can, I often move my whole arm. I'm told that's "wrong", but it works for me. The key though is to be as relaxed as possible. Otherwise, you'll end up with tendonitis of the elbow (tennis elbow).

That's the best I can do at this hour (1:30 a.m. where I am). Google cirular picking, I'm sure you'll find hits on different approaches. Hope this was of some help. If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer.

Remember: SPEED KILLS! :D

Douh! that already what i do :(
# 17
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/24/2005 12:54 pm
Originally Posted by: HambergDouh! that already what i do :(

LOL! Then what's the problem? Can you play fast cleanly, w/out any distortion?

# 18
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/25/2005 7:38 pm
Yeah I can play really fast but I was hoping that this was something new that would make be able to do 1/4 notes at 250 beat per minute or something. lol
# 19
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/25/2005 7:52 pm
Originally Posted by: HambergYeah I can play really fast but I was hoping that this was something new that would make be able to do 1/4 notes at 250 beat per minute or something. lol

don't you mean 1/16 notes at that speed? 1/4 notes at 250 is the same as 1/8 notes at 125 (not very fast).
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.