View post (speed picking techniques...HELP!!!!)

View thread

Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/06/2005 11:57 pm
Originally Posted by: raymond jamesI've been playing guitar for over 15 years. Professionally for the last 6 in a metal band doing alot of covers and a ton of songs that I've written. I have played hugh places, small places, television shows, international fests, and so on, I am also a guitar teacher. So I feel pretty stupid for asking this, but, this has has pissed me off for over a decade.

When I'm doing rythm work, my right hand is extremely fast. When I do solo work, my left hand dominates and my right hand won't sync up. My lead work is very smooth (due to a lack of picking) and the speed I what is there, but I want that machine gun picking power on comand. I want the pentonic fire like Zakk and Dimebag.

Now before you give me a bunch of picking drills and exercises. I've been doing that for years. ( sweep picking and alternating) I have burned hours away drilling myself but my picking speed never seems to incease. I have tryed everything, am I missing something? I'm a really good player, even a local guitar hero. (dare I say...ha ha) I think my technique is good, heavy pick, light touch. I take my time and try to build picking speed using a metrodome. Everyone seems to have figured it out, but me. Is there any secrets,like a quick fix to the right road.

Recording of my bands first album is starting within weeks. I would really like to use this technique on the album, I'm known as a crazy lead player, but I don't want to limit myself in hammer-on hell. Please can anyone help? And please don't think I'm an idoit. Thankx

I know you said not to say it, but it takes practice. I am by no means a speed demon, but I can get going pretty good at times.

How is your tremelo picking? Michael Angelo Batio has a theory called PPS (Potential Picking Speed). Meaning as fast as you can tremelo pick, is your potential picking speed for your alternate and economy picking. If you're having problems with synching up, it would seem to me that you're trying to start blazing as soon as you see a lick.

I just noticed that in your post you mention only alternate picking and sweeping, but no economy picking. Myself, I find economy picking much easier and can play much faster that way.

Here's an example:

e|----------------------------------------------------------5--7--8---
b|-----------------------------------------------5---6--8-------------
g|------------------------------------4---5---7-----------------------
d|--------------------------3--5--7-----------------------------------
a|--------------3---5---7---------------------------------------------
E|----3--5--7---------------------------------------------------------

Now instead of doing alternate picking (down,up,down,up,down,up) You would instead do economy (down, up, down, down, up, down, down, up, down). It combines alternate picking with sweeping and with 3 note per string runs like this one, can build some great speed.

As for anchoring your hand, there's nothing wrong with that, many speed demons anchor, and some float, it's personal preference really.

Please provide some examples of what kind of specific problems you're having. Just synching up?
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.