speed picking techniques...HELP!!!!

cpinegar
cpinegar
01/26/2005 1:12 am
I found some software that approached the topic of playing fast in a structured way and can say honestly that it helped me in all my playing. It starts off by profiling your playing, so that you tailor the course to work on your areas of weakness.

My bluegrass, rock, blues, pentatonic and chromatic stuff has all become more streamlined, by working through the whole program.

Guitar Speed Trainer

The program will even get you playing Flight of the Bumblebee along with John Petrucci.
# 1
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/26/2005 1:29 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysondon't you mean 1/16 notes at that speed? 1/4 notes at 250 is the same as 1/8 notes at 125 (not very fast).

Probabily man, I don't like to count lol
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 2
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/26/2005 2:34 am
Originally Posted by: HambergYeah I can play really fast but I was hoping that this was something new that would make be able to do 1/4 notes at 250 beat per minute or something. lol

Mebbe it's something in your mechanics? Personally, I think your fretting hand should feel as comfortable high on the neck as it is when playing low. That's why when playing with a strap on, my guitar is really high, like when I'm sitting. A low slung guitar looks cool, but it can really effect your mechanics.

Know anyone personally who's opinion you respect? Maybe they can take a look at your mechanics- like angle of your wrist, size of your hands, width of your axe, all of that can affect your mechanics, as you probably know.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 3
Kateshi
Kateshi
01/26/2005 3:14 am
Originally Posted by: HambergYeah I can play really fast but I was hoping that this was something new that would make be able to do 1/4 notes at 250 beat per minute or something. lol

i can pull 1/4 note triplets at 240 while skipping 2 strings, but I never tried anyfaster. I get my picking motion from my wrist and forearm, but the key is to stay as lose as possible. Any clenching or straining will cause my sync to go out.

My wrist gives the picking motion, my forearm changes string positions, thats what i found works for me especially while inside picking.
# 4
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/27/2005 9:32 am
Originally Posted by: HambergDouh! that already what i do :(

DUDE! THATS F****** SWEET. I DONT DO THAT ALREADY! IM GOING TO BE FASTER THEN HELL!!!

my mechanics are cool; I used to play the four horsemen (metallica) with straight up and down strokes. This technique is going to be the shizznit
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 5
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/27/2005 5:14 pm
[QUOTE=This technique is going to be the shizznit[/QUOTE]
Nice, he used the word shizznit!
Must be a pretty good technique. I didnt really get it can you explain it any other way? :(
eh whatever i just now the up and down picking technique i dono these names:alternative picking, circle picking whatever
just rock on dudes
When it comes down to it, our guitar's will always be there for us. :rolleyes:
# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/28/2005 5:12 am
Originally Posted by: CW14Anyone else had experience with this? Is it worthwhile?

I downloaded it 2 days ago. I'm a pretty fast picker already, so I can't say I got anything out of it ('cept for the tab for Flight of the Bumblebee). You can get the tab on the net. It's got some exercises in it. If you feel you need a speed trainer, go for it, but I've seen free stuff on the net like Mike's Power Tabs that play tabs you can download at www.powertabs.net - think that's the site.

There's some structure to Speed Trainer, so I guess that's a plus if you need the training. I really don't need it, so I'm thinking of asking for a refund. I haven't completed "Bumblebee", but at full throttle, guess it sounds pretty impressive. Gives your fingers a workout, 'specially when you haven't played in a long time like me.

The scales method from the same company looks interesting; I'm kinda weak in my modes, so a structured method would be pretty good, for me at least.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 7
konman
konman
01/28/2005 5:02 pm
it's just a wierd thought...have you tried different gauge strings? It's like in sports -- strength vs. speed. A weight lifter is not as fast as a karate fellow. Heavier-gauge strings will slow your left hand but right hand speed might increase.
I might be wrong though...
# 8
hunter1801
hunter1801
01/30/2005 9:30 pm
YOU DONT NEED TO PRACTICE ANYMORE!!! :D Just mix one tsp gasoline, a pinch of cotton candy, a squirt of lemon juice, and drinkup, youll be playin like a pro in notime. --- Honestly what did you expect. If youve been playing for as long as you say you have and your as good as you say you are then you should already know that practicing and doing finger/picking exercises is the only way to go. Practice makes perfect. Sorry to let you down but just keep trying and you WILL get it. :cool:
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.