View post (speed picking techniques...HELP!!!!)

View thread

Hamberg
Hamberg
01/24/2005 4:58 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoWhy would anyone think you're an idiot?

Along with economy picking as already described, do you circular pick, or you pick in a straight up and down manner? Circular picking isn't straight up and down; you attack the string at a slight angle both up and down- kinda like this if you pick right handed: down:/ up:\. You can start with large circles at first, then make them smaller and smalller, so the shape of 1 up and down would look like an elipse: () <- look sideways. Then make that as small as possible. I also found playing on a steel-string acoustic with a high action helps using as hard a pick as you can find. If you can pick fast and clean on an acoustic, then you should be ripping right along on an electric. I find 3 note triplets across the neck a good exercise. When you get circular down, incorporate economy picking. It does take awhile to get this into your "muscle memory"- but once you get it, it's like riding a bike. I've just started playing after a 15 yr. layoff, and not too up on the latest players. Last week I saw an instructional video by Zakk Wylde using the pentatonic scale, and all I could think was "WHOA!" regarding his speed. It took me about 15 mins. to play some of his riffs as fast as him...distortion helped a bit, lol; playing clean, I could hear my mistakes. Oh, I think using a medium gauge teardrop "jazz" pick using the very tip only helps, and using the meat of your thumb gets you some nice harmonics. Congrats on your success. I envy you.

Can you explain this a little bit more clearly please. If I did this circular thing that you speak of I might beable to break the sound barrier.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything