Closed Thread

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/06/2004 12:45 pm
Ermm.. how did you become a moderator?!!?!?!? Why did you close that thread? Because you didnt agree with it?!

There was nothing offensive or stupid about it. We were having a serious discussion about celebs and there right to speak about others!

Why dont you close every thread in your section mate cos none of them are worth replying to. At least Im started semi interesting/original posts that getting people replying. Ive came to the bands section at times and seen 2 dead posts!

Re-open the thread because people, including myself, still have valid points to make about the topic.
Rask you just turn up, jump in, and cancel a discussion we are having?! That fair?
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/06/2004 1:17 pm
This forum is not about a huge volume of posts and people spouting half baked "beliefs" and opinions.

Its about quality and helping people with guitar related problems.

It is not about sorting out their love lives or putting the world to rights.

Their are also rules about posting in these forums and posting is a PRIVILEGE not a right.

So maybe this a a time for a little introspection.

And if you don't like it, go somewhere else !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/06/2004 3:14 pm
Dude, you gotta know that if you start ranting against the establishment, the establishment is gonna come crashing down on you. There's [U]absolutely no way[/U] that you're gonna win an argument against a moderator by attacking him or insulting him, because you will instantaneously have about a dozen moderators on your... butt.

So, if you have a complaint, formulate it in a logical, intelligent, convincing way, or else we'll lay the smackdown on you (boy, is that phrase getting overused here, but I'm allowed to use it as freely as I wish).

We're not running a fascist regime here, but one of the results of the "overmoderation" here has been a friendly, helpful and useful forum, and it's something that the man who pays the bills (Jon Broderick) seems to appreciate and approve of.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/06/2004 3:37 pm
So you think my post about my chick in the 'General' section shouldnt be there?

People often use forums, and the net in general, as escapism. To wynd down after a days work, to relax and speak about issues that concern them. I do anyway.

Its completely harmless me starting threads about my chick. Theres 10 pages of replies so I dont think you can claim its of no interest to anyone. Look at the politcal threads we get here!! Are they unwelcome?

There is nothing damaging or offensive about those posts. People like to give advice and tell there storys of past experiences, my chick thread has been popular. Perhaps i could just live my like based on the opinions of my close friends where I live, but I thought Id ask you guys.

If you want me to never mention her again then I wont. If you want me to stop posting then I'll stop also. Im not claiming to be saving these forums from lack of activity.. but come on, a lot of people dont start threads and so the function of a forum isnt fufilled.

And as for quality... not quantity. I think thats a bit unfair. I see some posts that seem a bit tedious but I dont insult them and wouldnt close them if I could.
# 4
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/06/2004 3:40 pm
Oh and eggman, there isnt a hope in heck of you deterring me from standing up to moderators!

There opinions are worth no more than mine. There was no need to close that thread. I seen a lot worse go unclosed and it was a harmless thread anyway.
# 5
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/06/2004 4:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseSo you think my post about my chick in the 'General' section shouldnt be there?[/quote]

Nope, I've never said anything about it; in fact, I think I even posted a reply in there!

Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseIts completely harmless me starting threads about my chick. Theres 10 pages of replies so I dont think you can claim its of no interest to anyone. Look at the politcal threads we get here!! Are they unwelcome?

There is nothing damaging or offensive about those posts. People like to give advice and tell there storys of past experiences, my chick thread has been popular. Perhaps i could just live my like based on the opinions of my close friends where I live, but I thought Id ask you guys.

If you want me to never mention her again then I wont. If you want me to stop posting then I'll stop also. Im not claiming to be saving these forums from lack of activity.. but come on, a lot of people dont start threads and so the function of a forum isnt fufilled.[/quote]

Again, please reread my post above and understand what exactly I was trying to get across to you.

[QUOTE=Axl_Rose]And as for quality... not quantity. I think thats a bit unfair. I see some posts that seem a bit tedious but I dont insult them and wouldnt close them if I could.

Unfair? What was unfair? I'm a bit lost here, I guess. Not sure what you're referring to.

[QUOTE=Axl_Rose]Oh and eggman, there isnt a hope in heck of you deterring me from standing up to moderators!

There opinions are worth no more than mine. There was no need to close that thread. I seen a lot worse go unclosed and it was a harmless thread anyway.

Please note that I said nothing about:

(a) my opinion on your thread, or
(b) wanting to deter you from "standing up to moderators".

All I said was that you shouldn't expect it to get you anywhere. I was not the one that closed your thread. I'm not expressing my opinion on whether or not it should have been closed, and I leave that entirely in Raskolnikov's hands, and will not go over his head to reopen it.

Again, please reread my original post in this thread. If you have a complaint and want to express it, there is a way to do it (a) which will get you heard, and there is a way to do it (b) which will get you ignored, or worse, completely bashed by all moderators and many forum members. You have chosen option (b) in this case. If you want, try again using option (a). That will involve an amount of thought before posting as well as being able to formulate a convincing and logical argument.

Axl, dude, I have nothing against you. I'm just trying to help you prevent yourself from getting the proverbial anvil dropped on your proverbial head from a proverbial 20-storey building. Don't reply to this post in a huff; just read it and try to take my advice, please!

[/sarcasm]
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/06/2004 5:17 pm
Well Ill answer and say, "no keep you love live to your self, it is of NO INTEREST to me" that is my opinion.

However it is my opinion and not forum policy so the thread stays open.

Oh yes, to say that some one who has dumped you is "Your chick" is not only showing that you are some what divorced from reality but also remarkably sexist. She doesn't belong to you, and maybe dumping you was proving a point.

Either way, I couldn't care less !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/06/2004 5:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Axl_Rose
There opinions are worth no more than mine.

I going to go out on a limb here and say "yes they are" on that one.
Not your general opinions, but the ones regarding this forum.
I don't really know what the setup is here on GT, but I'm guessing
that's it's no different from any other forum on the internet:

Almost every forum I visit makes it perfectly clear that their forum is NOT a democracy.

This forum is a privilege offered by the owner, Jon.
What he says goes, that's all there is to it. His forum, his rules.
He has selected a group of people that he can trust to run his forum,
and they moderate according to the forum rules and their own personal judgement.
So if they think that a thread or a post isn't suitable, then they decide what
should happen to it. That's it.

It's not my intension to get you mad or start a big discussion, I'm just saying that
different forums have different rules, and while we are in here we have to respect
the rules here or else we we might just go someplace else.
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/06/2004 8:37 pm
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseErmm.. how did you become a moderator?!!?!?!?

By establishing a VERY long history of fairness, even handed consideration of viewpoints and level-headedness on this forum.

Why did you close that thread? Because you didnt agree with it?!

On the contrairy, I agreed with points both sides were making (well, attempting to, anyway).

However, the thread was starting to deteriorate very rapidly into a moronic cesspool of language filter violations and circular arguments that was only going to end up as pointless little flame war. As a matter of fact, a forum member IMed me last night to semi-jokingly complain that I shut it down because he was about to let one or more of you guys have it.

I feel fully justified in my decision to close the thread before it got out of hand and more serious moderational measures had to be taken. I'd tell you to take it up with one of the Super Mods, but since they seem to have my back on this one, I guess you're all out of luck for now.

Just bear in mind that I could have deleted this thread the second you put "B#ch" in your first post. If I felt especially obnoxious, I could easily come up with a list several forum rule violations for yourself and most everybody else participating in this thread.

SO -- rethink your vocabulary and learn the difference between a "debate" and what was starting to happen in that thread.

It's staying locked.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/06/2004 9:34 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovBy establishing a VERY long history of fairness, even handed consideration of viewpoints and level-headedness on this forum.

Uh......yeah, that's how I got to be a moderator. LOL
# 10
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/06/2004 9:45 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovBy establishing a VERY long history of fairness, even handed consideration of viewpoints and level-headedness on this forum.

I got to be a moderator by being a rude jerk, calling people names and making awful "jokes" involving my "humour". And then volunteered when Jon was in dire need of help.

[/sarcasm]
# 11
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/06/2004 11:05 pm
Eggman, it was Dr Simon I was replying to about the chick thread, not you.

Ive posted three threads in the general section. Their hits amount to 3 times the total of the others that are visible. But ok, like Dr Simon says "love lives" have no place on this site.

All I'll say is this place gets really quiet sometimes. Really boring. And its probably hits, and advertising, that keep the site going. So if my opinions are less valid than a moderators, as mc9mm agrees, then Ill never post about it again.

Granted, the Amy Lee thread did have a slight obnoxious begining, but if youd let it go a few more posts we would have seen a sensible discussion.

Take a look around, this place gets quieter all the time, doesnt that bother anyone?
# 12
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/06/2004 11:07 pm
You know what, I cant even be bothered having a look around this forum tonight, theres nothing happening here anymore.
# 13
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/07/2004 3:51 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovAs a matter of fact, a forum member IMed me last night to semi-jokingly complain that I shut it down because he was about to let one or more of you guys have it.

Nah, there was no semi about it. I agreed with you shutting it down, I just thought it wasn't a very spectacular ending. Apparently I've been proven wrong by this thread! I'm stepping back out of the ring before I get hit!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.