The Winter Song

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/04/2004 4:29 am
Okay, I just finished these up today, and I'm having fun putting these up, since I don't really have time to record them so this seems to be the next best thing. My plans are to also write a spring and summer song. See previous postings for "The Autumn Song". There was also "The Cheesy/Sappy Song" which I recently posted. I guess this doesn't really stray too far from that, though.

Anyways, without further ado.

[U]The Winter Song (copyright blah blah blah, like anyone will copy this. But if you do, I will kill you. No, really, I will.)[/U]

So long
I've been waiting for this snow to fall
....to give us a break from the fall

To cover the paths
we once knew
We won't retrace
We'll start anew

Can we start anew?

As I watch the fields
turn from green to white
I'm feeling peace
A brief respite

But it's not too long
and I'm pulled back
Doesn't take too much
to turn this white to black

[Chorus-type part, all shouty-like]
I'm falling again
I'm falling again
I'm falling
Will this winter ever end?

And the season's changing
I can feel myself aging
I've stopped changing
Still I feel the world turning

I'm breathing
But still, it's not easy
I'm freezin'
Can't you see it's not easy?

Fade out repeating "it's not easy"
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/04/2004 4:32 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggman

We won't retrace
We'll start anew

Can we start anew?

As I watch the fields
turn from green to white
I'm feeling peace
A brief respite

I really liked these parts a lot. The rest didn't really jive with my taste, but that might be a good thing!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/04/2004 4:35 am
Yeah, none of my songs really translate very well to text. They make more lyrical sense when you hear them, or when I hear them in my head... Oh the lyrics in my head

MAKE THEM STOP PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP

[/sarcasm]
# 3
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/04/2004 1:21 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanMAKE THEM STOP PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP

You are not alone.
Me I hear and see guitar moves. In my head, if I had the ability to do with my hands and voice what I do with my head, I'd be AWESOME!!!!
Maybe one day.
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/15/2004 2:19 pm
OK, my band just finished recording a rough version of this song! I'm pretty happy with it, and may post it up when we're done if I can find a place to put it. Anyways, I edited the lyrics a little bit and I think they're better now. Maybe the lyrics don't really stand up as poetry, but I think they fit the song.

[/sarcasm]
# 5
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
11/17/2004 2:28 am
Reminds me of Robert Frost for some reason. Don't even know why, I haven't read any of his poerty since seventh grade... so that would be four years ago.

I liked it, refreshing from what kind of songs I'm used to hearing from my "musical peers"... all emo and sad-like. Can't wait to hear it if you post it.

# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/12/2005 1:46 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyCan't wait to hear it if you post it.

OK, here it is.... 7 months late.

The Winter Song

Hopefully my ISP lets the mp3 get downloaded more than 2 times. I've never tried this before.

Anyways, to explain the song; it's a very, very, VERY rough take, but it captures the general idea. There are a number of mistakes on it, but I'm (a) too lazy and (b) too busy to fix them. I haven't had time to play my electric more than once in the past 3 months.... :eek:

Well, let me know what you think.

And this post/thread may possibly be moved to Listening Post or not. I'd prefer it in here, where only the people that I'd want to hear it will hear it, rather than the entire GT community.

[/sarcasm]
# 7
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
07/12/2005 7:44 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanOK, here it is.... 7 months late.

The Winter Song

Hopefully my ISP lets the mp3 get downloaded more than 2 times. I've never tried this before.

Anyways, to explain the song; it's a very, very, VERY rough take, but it captures the general idea. There are a number of mistakes on it, but I'm (a) too lazy and (b) too busy to fix them. I haven't had time to play my electric more than once in the past 3 months.... :eek:

And this post/thread may possibly be moved to Listening Post or not. I'd prefer it in here, where only the people that I'd want to hear it will hear it, rather than the entire GT community.

YAY!

hmm...Very U2...try to work a little more on the vocals in respect to timber and tonality. I was never a HUGE fan of these lyrics, but I'm an idiot when it comes to lyrics, so pay no heed. I like the song. However, I wish the melody
were a BIT catchier, but that might ruin the syllable count...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 8
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/12/2005 8:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYAY!

hmm...Very U2...try to work a little more on the vocals in respect to timber and tonality. I was never a HUGE fan of these lyrics, but I'm an idiot when it comes to lyrics, so pay no heed. I like the song. However, I wish the melody
were a BIT catchier, but that might ruin the syllable count...

Very U2??? That was not intended, but certainly is a good thing!

Yeah, I hate-- no, abhor-- my voice, but it was my song, so I sang it instead of my bassist, who normally sings.

The lyrics are pretty personal to me, so it's hard to think of changing them. So I hope I get a second opinion.

What do you mean re: melody / syllables? I don't really see a connection.

As for "catchiness", I'm just happy that I was able to write and record a half-decent song! I've been trying for a loooong time now, and it always seems more and more daunting of a task. I feel like I should just give up and go to a studio....

[/sarcasm]
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
07/12/2005 9:58 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanWhat do you mean re: melody / syllables? I don't really see a connection.

Ah, I just meant if you changed the melody you might have to change the amount of syllables in each line in order to fit that melody, thus making you re-write the lyrics.

Also, when I say I'm not a huge fan of these lyrics it's mainly because I don't have much of an affinity for this kind of song, it's no fault of the lyrics themselves. For the type of song you're doing, they're phenomenal.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
08/01/2005 5:37 am
I really liked the song. It's mellow, but won't put you to sleep. I think the lyrics and the music fit well together. Like Jolly said, the vocals could have been a little louder during the soft parts, but i'm sure that is just because it was a rough recording....at least that's what I think Jolly said. He mentioned something about working at a timber manufacture so I don't know.
1 Peter 2:16
# 11
guitarisfuture
guitarisfuture
08/12/2005 8:47 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanOK, here it is.... 7 months late.

The Winter Song

----------------------------------------------------------------

How long have you been playing for just wanna get an idea?
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.