guitar schools

zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/02/2004 10:16 pm
can anyone reccomend guitar schools, similar to GIT or Berklee. though i'm looking more for something i can do after i graduate college.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/03/2004 12:50 am
Only one I know of that has any history behind it is Humber Collegiate.. you'd have to move to Toronto tho.
I've heard both good and bad things about guitar schools. On the good side, you'll probably learn a whole mess of theory & scales, and your playing will improve a lot cause you're totally immersed in guitar every day.
On the bad side, some schools are very oriented to a particular style of music. ie, Humber is supposedly all about jazz and nothing else. Not that I'm saying jazz is bad or anything, but if it isn't the kind of music ya like, you'd have a hard time getting along with the teachers & students. (my info is about 15 years old tho & things might have changed since then)
Course, there's always the other option... just make friends with people who go to a guitar school and 'borrow' their homework for a coupla years.
Free education and no tuition!
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
11/03/2004 6:57 pm
The Art Institute of Atlanta is supposed to be a pretty good school. I applied and got accepted there when I was graduating high school, but like any other private school, it's expensive as hell, so I went to a community college that I could afford and majored in Engineering Graphics.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/04/2004 10:16 pm
I'd really like to go to Berklee once I get all my loans from my last degree paid off. Anyone have any guess as to what annual tuiton is? Probably like 20+K/year huh? Also, I hear that Boston is a hella expensive town to live in.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 4
killerqueen
killerqueen
11/06/2004 4:42 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraWhile we're on the subject; Anyone know any guitar schools in England?

i know there is one in Birmingham and possibly one in rickmansworth (not sure exactly where tho) that you can do BTEC's at. i dont really know much about them unfortunatley. i only know they exist because i was given a load of adverts when i bought my last guitar :D . but i have heard (to use a friend's words) that they're very "commercial", and very set in their ways of teaching.

this might suit you, but i think on the whole they're a bit... set in their ways.

the address for the Birmingham one is www.theacademy.uk.com i've never checked it out so you might find links to others in you area.
alternatively you can try a college as most now do degrees in "music practice" (again not exactly sure what this is but might be worth checking out if you're interested).
hope that's of some help (and try not to be swayed by my somewhat jaded veiws of these places - if you really want to do it, go for it. good luck! :D )
Elvis Lives (in my basement)
# 5
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
11/07/2004 9:12 pm
Originally Posted by: zepp_rulescan anyone reccomend guitar schools, similar to GIT or Berklee. though i'm looking more for something i can do after i graduate college.

GIT in Hollywood looks like an awesome program. I've given some thought into doing the one-year certificate program, but even that isnt cheap. I believe its at least 20 g's for a year...not much better than my out-of-state tuition at ASU. GIT has a lot of workshops and such with famous guitarists.
# 6
audioanimal
audioanimal
11/25/2004 4:44 pm
I went to a famous school. It was great for me, but not sure I would go again under the same circumstances.

Here's a way to get the same benefits IMHO.

Save up enough money to live on and fund your music for 1 year without having to work a day job. You pretty much have to do this to go to music school full time, at least I did. I actually lived off a credit card for a year, and my wife worked, but that's probably not the best plan.

Find at least 3 schooled, accomplished players in your area who also teach. Take lessons from all of them every week.

Concentrate on specific areas with each one for 2 months at a time. Examples: Theory, reading music, ear-training etc.

Also pick one specific style with each teacher. Hopefully you know which ones they are strongest in.

Play in at least 3 different bands, three different styles. Doesn't matter if they play out alot or are financially successful, just make sure the members are at least at your level or better.

After a year of doing all of this, your playing and musicianship should improve just as much as going to a school, and you will already be established as a player on the local scene.

Peace,
-Rick
Play what you hear
Listen to what you play
Does it sound good?
# 7
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/28/2004 10:48 am
Originally Posted by: audioanimalI went to a famous school. It was great for me, but not sure I would go again under the same circumstances.

Here's a way to get the same benefits IMHO.

Save up enough money to live on and fund your music for 1 year without having to work a day job. You pretty much have to do this to go to music school full time, at least I did. I actually lived off a credit card for a year, and my wife worked, but that's probably not the best plan.

Find at least 3 schooled, accomplished players in your area who also teach. Take lessons from all of them every week.

Concentrate on specific areas with each one for 2 months at a time. Examples: Theory, reading music, ear-training etc.

Also pick one specific style with each teacher. Hopefully you know which ones they are strongest in.

Play in at least 3 different bands, three different styles. Doesn't matter if they play out alot or are financially successful, just make sure the members are at least at your level or better.

After a year of doing all of this, your playing and musicianship should improve just as much as going to a school, and you will already be established as a player on the local scene.

Peace,
-Rick

That sounds like a pretty thought out plan. I may have to give it a go...
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 8
rewihendrix
rewihendrix
12/17/2004 1:04 am
If you want to improve your guitar playing for free, then there are three ways that you can do it:

1. Learn lots of scales and arpeggios until you can play them off the top of your head. This can be quite boring but it really does improve your guitar playing and both speed and quality of sound. you can eassily find scales and arpeggios over the net.

2. Expand the styles of music that you play/listen to. If you start listening to different music, you will get better in different ways.

3. Learn to play the music of the guitarists you most admire.
# 9
Midas
Midas
12/24/2004 5:48 am
Why do you want to goto school anyway?

A lot of people goto schools thinking that its going to get them into the industry. What do you want to become? a studio cat? Session player? join a rock band? Become a teacher?

All these schools are great, my guitar teacher went to humber and now works professionally as a session player.

My old guitar teacher went to a music school and just teaches lessons. He wishes he went farther cause he will only be a good guitar teacher.

Life can take to either way? You need to cut your teeth on something. If you want to be a session player start learning songs quickly. Like 2 passes of the song and you have it down. And play it exactly like the CD timing its tone and accents.

If you want to be in a successful rock band. You need to join a band and start working playing, recording, and selling. A label will not look at you unless you've sold over 10000 CDs by your self.

If you want to teach. Start teaching at a music store. And keep on learning. If you need a professional education these schools are more than worth it.

If you want to work at a label. Start working with a band. Get them gigs, merch, till they make it. If you need to know how goto a music school that specializes in business.

A school can only teach you stuff. Its how you will use this information that will make you or break you. You need to work for success.

Anyway tell me what you think
Deaf people can't hear so stop yelling
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.