View post (guitar schools)

View thread

Midas
Midas
12/24/2004 5:48 am
Why do you want to goto school anyway?

A lot of people goto schools thinking that its going to get them into the industry. What do you want to become? a studio cat? Session player? join a rock band? Become a teacher?

All these schools are great, my guitar teacher went to humber and now works professionally as a session player.

My old guitar teacher went to a music school and just teaches lessons. He wishes he went farther cause he will only be a good guitar teacher.

Life can take to either way? You need to cut your teeth on something. If you want to be a session player start learning songs quickly. Like 2 passes of the song and you have it down. And play it exactly like the CD timing its tone and accents.

If you want to be in a successful rock band. You need to join a band and start working playing, recording, and selling. A label will not look at you unless you've sold over 10000 CDs by your self.

If you want to teach. Start teaching at a music store. And keep on learning. If you need a professional education these schools are more than worth it.

If you want to work at a label. Start working with a band. Get them gigs, merch, till they make it. If you need to know how goto a music school that specializes in business.

A school can only teach you stuff. Its how you will use this information that will make you or break you. You need to work for success.

Anyway tell me what you think
Deaf people can't hear so stop yelling