View post (guitar schools)

View thread

audioanimal
audioanimal
11/25/2004 4:44 pm
I went to a famous school. It was great for me, but not sure I would go again under the same circumstances.

Here's a way to get the same benefits IMHO.

Save up enough money to live on and fund your music for 1 year without having to work a day job. You pretty much have to do this to go to music school full time, at least I did. I actually lived off a credit card for a year, and my wife worked, but that's probably not the best plan.

Find at least 3 schooled, accomplished players in your area who also teach. Take lessons from all of them every week.

Concentrate on specific areas with each one for 2 months at a time. Examples: Theory, reading music, ear-training etc.

Also pick one specific style with each teacher. Hopefully you know which ones they are strongest in.

Play in at least 3 different bands, three different styles. Doesn't matter if they play out alot or are financially successful, just make sure the members are at least at your level or better.

After a year of doing all of this, your playing and musicianship should improve just as much as going to a school, and you will already be established as a player on the local scene.

Peace,
-Rick
Play what you hear
Listen to what you play
Does it sound good?