Michael Angelo

hammetthead13
hammetthead13
09/30/2004 3:26 pm
hey, just wonderin what everyone thinks of michael (micheal) Angelo. Is he the greatest guitarist to walk in god's green earth :D or is he an arrogant idiot who insists of showing off? :cool: i never really seen him play or listened to him but with a song entitled ' Yngwie can't touch this' , i would have to say he is arrogant. What do the rest of you think of him?
My amp is a weapon of mas DISTORTION!!!!
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/30/2004 4:12 pm
Moved your thread.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/30/2004 8:53 pm
Originally Posted by: hammetthead13i never really seen him play or listened to him but with a song entitled ' Yngwie can't touch this' , i would have to say he is arrogant.

"It's not bragging if you can back it up."
-Jaco Pastorious
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/03/2004 7:42 pm
The first time I witnessed Michael Angelo in his glory was intense. I had never heard of him and was randomly downloading videos off kazaa. I had noticed a certain "Speed Kills" titled video had landed into my shared folder in which case I watched with a mildly eager train of thought. As the video played on a thought came to mind. "The hair has got to go" I believe it was, but as the video pressed on my mind was veering towards his hands and the absolutely uncalled for things he was doing with them. Later on I found his website and read about all the things he's done with the guitar and even found more videos of him actually doing the things I read about. I find it very true to say that no, in fact, Yngwie cannot touch that.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/03/2004 7:45 pm
In further follow up to my above statement, I only wish that I could see something so innovative and skillful again, but I don't find it probable. At least not in the way he did it.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
Death55
Death55
10/05/2004 4:22 pm
Originally Posted by: hammetthead13hey, just wonderin what everyone thinks of michael (micheal) Angelo. Is he the greatest guitarist to walk in god's green earth :D or is he an arrogant idiot who insists of showing off? :cool: i never really seen him play or listened to him but with a song entitled ' Yngwie can't touch this' , i would have to say he is arrogant. What do the rest of you think of him?

He hasnt got a song called "Yngwie can't touch this". Its actually called "The Finish Line"
Someone just renamed it on something like kazza.
Michael seems like a nice guy. I have spoken to him once before and will be seeing him again next month.
He is a great guitarist. I really like his music. A lot of people think he sucks and is really boring to listen to.
Its all opinion. See if you can listen to some of his other music. His other songs are not quite like "the finish line" but have the same tone and technicality. He does a few cool tricks like playing left handed and over the top of the neck... most people saying its just a stupid circus trick but i think its pretty cool to watch live. I think he is one of the cleanest players i have ever heard. I heard someone a few days ago say that someone was not as sloppy as michael :rolleyes:
I watched him live twice and he didnt miss a note and got all the notes perfect(no dead ones).
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/05/2004 5:00 pm
Sucks? Boring? circus shows? That's a load of crap. You could say that about any virtuoso guitarist. Anyone that's so unbelievable to watch could be labeled as a gimmick type because they're using what they're capable of doing to make us look at them. His music's good (this is my opinion) but his capability of playing the guitar is excellent (this is moreso factual). You could say Steve Vai, Yngwie, or Satriani are just pulling flashy stunts when they tap or shred because they do it in the way that they do it. Circus tricks don't exist on the guitar, only capable and incapable.

Hulk Smash!!

# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/05/2004 7:03 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsSucks? Boring? circus shows? That's a load of crap. You could say that about any virtuoso guitarist. Anyone that's so unbelievable to watch could be labeled as a gimmick type because they're using what they're capable of doing to make us look at them. His music's good (this is my opinion) but his capability of playing the guitar is excellent (this is moreso factual). You could say Steve Vai, Yngwie, or Satriani are just pulling flashy stunts when they tap or shred because they do it in the way that they do it. Circus tricks don't exist on the guitar, only capable and incapable.

if you reduce music to guitarplaying and guitarplaying to technicallity, you could say so - yes. fortunately not everyone does that.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 8
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
10/05/2004 8:21 pm
I think he's a trip.....how many people out there play (or can come close to playing) a guitar where the necks form a V, and be tapping on each neck at the same time? It's a gimmick, but it works for him. He definately broke a lot of barrier's with his style.....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 9
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/06/2004 1:10 am
Originally Posted by: JFRICKI think he's a trip.....how many people out there play (or can come close to playing) a guitar where the necks form a V, and be tapping on each neck at the same time? It's a gimmick, but it works for him. He definately broke a lot of barrier's with his style.....

Exactly. There's a bull**** 10 character minimum demand for this to be submitted which I've obviously blown away, don't read this part.

Hulk Smash!!

# 10
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/07/2004 4:02 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsExactly. There's a bull**** 10 character minimum demand for this to be submitted which I've obviously blown away, don't read this part.

Too late, I read it. Yea, Michael Angelo is a force of nature no doubt. I don't know a whole lot about him, but at one point was considering getting the metal method dvd's. Anyone have these? What did you think of them?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 11
wejwejwej
wejwejwej
10/09/2004 4:17 pm
Michael Angelo is no doubt a show off. He is probably the fastest guitar player on the planet.... he can play left handed, right handed, and both handed at the same time ( if you dont beleive me buy the speed kills DVD). But the thing about Michael Angelo is that he has the worst tone ever. All he worries about is speed.... and when you only worry about speed you lose feeling and tone. Its possible to play fast and with feeling but i dont think michael angelo does that. If you wanna hear someone play fast and with feeling listen to yngwie. Michael angelo also isnt original, he is a wanna be yngwie.... the only thing is taht michael angelo is faster. Michael Angelo is a good guitarist adn i highley recommend watching "speed kills" but yngwie, steve, and Paul Gilbert got him beat.

:cool:
# 12
Death55
Death55
10/10/2004 5:20 pm
Originally Posted by: wejwejwejMichael Angelo is no doubt a show off. He is probably the fastest guitar player on the planet.... he can play left handed, right handed, and both handed at the same time ( if you dont beleive me buy the speed kills DVD). But the thing about Michael Angelo is that he has the worst tone ever. All he worries about is speed.... and when you only worry about speed you lose feeling and tone. Its possible to play fast and with feeling but i dont think michael angelo does that. If you wanna hear someone play fast and with feeling listen to yngwie. Michael angelo also isnt original, he is a wanna be yngwie.... the only thing is taht michael angelo is faster. Michael Angelo is a good guitarist adn i highley recommend watching "speed kills" but yngwie, steve, and Paul Gilbert got him beat.

:cool:

What are you on about ? When did you last listen to michael play ?
He does not have bad tone ! Infact, i think he has the best tone out of any guitarist i have heard. I have to agree that his tone may have not be that great a long time ago but his recent stuff has amazing tone. He uses pleanty of mids and you can hear each note perfectly.
I dont know about michael angelo being faster than yngie... its kind of hard to tell. All i know is that michael does not miss notes that often. As i said.. i watched him play twice in one day and i didnt notice him miss one note !
Its funny when people say that someone like michael angelo is a yngwie wanna be. I think he is far from that. Maybe your a yngwie wanna be but michael is trying to be different from other people not trying to be like other people ... why do you think he invented the double neck guitar ? why do you think he started playing over the top of the neck ?
Maybe yngwie, steve and paul gilbert have beat him, but only on popularity which doesnt mean they are better than michael. To back that up i could say that just because busted are more popular than guitarists like satch, vai and yngwie etc doesnt mean they are better !
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 13
metalfaithfull
metalfaithfull
10/11/2004 4:40 am
I saw the video "Speed Kills" by micheal Angelo to say at first i was impressed but when you watch it a few times over you realize that alot of his "cleanness" in his tone is just due to the setting in which he plays for instance when you use the bridge pickup it sounds less smooth but more shreding ,you can tell he plays stricty useing the neck pickup and a certainly large amount of reverb and other modulation type effects to cover up his ton. Don't get me wrong he is eccelent in technique but id say his song writing abitlity "can't touch" many of the other greats out there like yngwie or vai. not to mention he sounds like a video game and it gets kinda stupid after a while.his songs go ok for a while and sudenly you hear the "fight the end boss music" gr id say he's a waste of technique that creative people should have been given a chance at more often .
# 14
Death55
Death55
10/11/2004 4:35 pm
Originally Posted by: metalfaithfullDon't get me wrong he is eccelent in technique but id say his song writing abitlity "can't touch" many of the other greats out there like yngwie or vai. not to mention he sounds like a video game and it gets kinda stupid after a while.his songs go ok for a while and sudenly you hear the "fight the end boss music" gr id say he's a waste of technique that creative people should have been given a chance at more often .

I prefer his music to a lot of other great guitarists. I couldnt say he is any better or worse. I cant say that no one can touch him or that other people are far better. Its personal oppinion really. I think he is quite creative and i like his style but again thats only what i think. There will be other people who think the same and pleanty of people who would disagree. Its kind of silly just saying other people are better and that he's a waste of technique.
Thanks to michael i can sweep pick really fast and keep it clean and alternate pick pretty well !
# 15
HDJ
HDJ
10/11/2004 6:00 pm
Well, tone is an opinion. I can't listen to Yngwie because his tone cuts through me like fingernails on a chalkboard. It's too bright and shiny....

Michael Angelo is doing his own thing. I find it to be cool, it's unique. His tone could be better, but then again, everyone has an opinion on the best tone. If everyone had the same tone, music would be totally boring...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 16
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/13/2004 2:20 pm
i have both of his DVDs - Speed Kills and Speed Lives (you can get them off methalmethod for 19 bucks i guess)

what can i say

he has definitely the most accurate and economic technique i´ve seen. you can definitely learn alot from him technique wise.

but thats about it. he's not realy working with the notes. not forming them tone-wise. listen to jeff beck and you know what i mean. i was laughing my ass off as he said at the first lesson on "speed lives" that he´s goin to play it with feeling - then he played it and i was like "if thats what he´s got the young guitar-generation to tell about feeling, then please let this video be R-Rated".

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 17
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/14/2004 10:53 am
I kinda feel the same way about Rusty Cooley. His songs are most certainly impressive from a technique viewpoint. But his songs lack that certain something for me to really get into his music. Still "War of Angels" and "The Butcher" are two of my favorite songs of his.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.