String change

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/09/2004 10:31 pm
Couple questions here.

-What type/gauge of string do you prefer? I know this has been asked more than once before on here, but we've been getting some new faces.
-How much does it cost to get a guitar set up with new strings in a store? I usually do it myself but my guitar has gone through a couple severe humidity changes and I'm doubting my skill.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
09/09/2004 11:58 pm
Well, my acoustic guitar got warped by humdiity or whatever happened. It was like 45$ for strings a string change and fixing the fret board. I think that is kinda cheap idk??!!
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/10/2004 12:12 am
Intonation is easy to fix if you have a good tuner.

I use 9s on my LP and PRS and 10s on my strats, medium phosphobronz earth-wounds on my 12 string and 20/20 bronze meds on my acoustics (all Ernie Balls). And GSH Medium Bass boomers on my Peavey.

If you want a good reference click here. I have this book and it is brilliant !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/10/2004 12:18 am
Originally Posted by: DreamRyche2112Well, my acoustic guitar got warped by humdiity or whatever happened. It was like 45$ for strings a string change and fixing the fret board. I think that is kinda cheap idk??!!

Probably most of that was the fretboard repair.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
VintageReaper
VintageReaper
09/10/2004 2:42 am
I currently use 9-42 on my ESP, but seeing as how I've been going through them so fast I'll likely switch to 10-46. My Epiphone has 9-42s on it as well, which I'll leave since my sister uses it more than I do and she's got girly fingers. :D

As for prices on a shop changing strings: I wouldn't know. I've always done my own, even with the painful Floyd Rose.
You're an inspiration for birth control. - Duke Nukem.
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/10/2004 3:00 am
It's not the string change I'm wondering about, it's the truss rod adjustment to get the strings lower.
-A.H.
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/10/2004 4:06 am
Just my own opinion but don't overly stress yourself out about it. One thing I learned over the years is that most players get way too concerned about all the little piddly little details. Unless it's a major repair or something, do the work yourself. It's only wood and metal and worth your while to grab some books from the library and teach yourself how to service your own guitars.
Especially simple stuff like truss rod adjustment and intonation. You can't trust a guitar shop unless you've built up a relationship with them and know who the guitar tech is and what experience he has. I mean, I've been living with my main guitar 24/7 for a coupla decades... there's no way I'm taking it to the local Acme guitar shop and trust that it might be some student working on it, or a salesguy doing your intonation between customers.

As far as what strings to use... change em up every once in awhile and live with a different guage. Try it out for awhile and then switch and see how it effects your playing. It took me years to figure out that I need 9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46 for most playing. But it depends on the type of music you're doing too.
Lighter strings are more twangy and trebly sounding and easier to go out of tune from improper use of your fretting hand (ie, holding one string down a little too hard will make it slightly sharp.) Heavier strings have more body.
If you're doing shred, go with lighter... if you're doing blues or chord strumming, go with a heavier guage.
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/10/2004 6:13 am
I was under the impression truss rod adjustments were something to be taken seriously because of the potential damage to the neck.

To lower the strings it's clockwise looking down from the top of the head, right?
-A.H.
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/10/2004 8:13 am
Like I said, you should do some reading and learn the details. If you can get the info from the manufacturer even better.
There's a whole bunch of things you need to know but after you do it once or twice, it's easy after that.
For which direction to turn just remember "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy"
Clockwise to tighten the strings, counterclockwise to loosen em.

(of course all of this assumes that the person doing this has at least a half a brain in his head and a little life experience. If you have severe tween disease, tend to trip over things a lot or your mom still has to constantly remind you to clean up your room... ya might wanna think about getting somebody more experienced :cool:
# 9
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/10/2004 9:11 am
Originally Posted by: schmange
Clockwise to tighten the strings, counterclockwise to loosen em.

That's what I'm wondering about, is it clockwise looking from the head down or clockwise looking up?
-A.H.
# 10
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/10/2004 11:34 am
Suck it and see dude, just don't ever force anything that doesn't want to go !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 11
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
09/10/2004 12:46 pm
Required Reading for Guitar Player 101, "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!" by Dan Erlewine, available from Stew-Mac, and any major bookstore, from Headstock to Tailpiece it shows you how to maintain your guitar, set-ups, stringing, cleaning, blah, blah, blah, ad infinitum, I wish someone would have written a book like that about 25 years ago, if you are not the DIYer type, take Uncle Schmange's advice and find a reputable shop and develop a relationship there, or just go to your local guitar mall and let some goofus in the back room who drew the short straw that day,practice learning, how to work on your guitars, he'll not only do a poor job, he'll also charge you for it.........................................
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/11/2004 6:17 am
> That's what I'm wondering about, is it clockwise looking from the head
> down or clockwise looking up?

You've got a trussrod that's adjustable from both ends? What kinda guitar is it?
# 13
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/11/2004 6:31 am
I don't mean like that, it's a perspective thing.

If you look this way, like looking straight down at the guitar,

|
v and it looks counter-clockwise, then

____
| | (headstock)
| |
\_/
| |
| |
| | (neck)

^ it will look clockwise looking from this direction (like if it's on your lap).
|
-A.H.
# 14
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/11/2004 6:57 am
Man...you gotta get me some of them drugs you been smokin :p

Look at the happy face above. Clockwise is to the right... counterclockwise is to the left.
# 15
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/11/2004 7:01 am
Go grap a plate or some other disc. Spin it clockwise, turn it upside down, and you'll see it as counter-clockwise.

I'm too tired, I shouldn't be trying asking questions like this.
-A.H.
# 16
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/11/2004 9:36 am
Take a screw and screw it into a wall.
Now walk around the other side of the wall.
Just cause you've moved your location doesn't mean that it isn't still screwed in clockwise.

This conversations gonna go on forever isn't it :rolleyes:
# 17
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/12/2004 3:24 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeTake a screw and screw it into a wall.
Now walk around the other side of the wall.
Just cause you've moved your location doesn't mean that it isn't still screwed in clockwise.

This conversations gonna go on forever isn't it :rolleyes:

I understand what Hammurabi's trying to say...

e.g. if you look at a clock from behind (let's assume that it's a transparent clock) the hands aren't moving clockwise, but counterclockwise, since you're looking at it from behind. Similarly, if you're looking at the truss rod "socket" (or whatever that adjustment hole that you put the allen key into is called), if your perspective is from the headstock and you're looking down towards the body, and you turn the allen key one turn clockwise, but your friend is looking from the body up towards the headstock, it'll appear to be a counterclockwise turn for him.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 18
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/12/2004 4:46 am
I realize that... but you can only turn a truss rod from one end of the guitar or the other.
Same thing with a screw.
If somebody tells you to turn a screw clockwise, you don't stand there trying to decide whether or not they mean from the head where the screwdriver goes or the pointy end.
# 19
Hootayah
Hootayah
09/12/2004 5:00 am
LOL!!

This is like an Abbot and Costello routine!.
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.