Music is coming back

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/15/2004 10:08 pm
I'm not big of the growing trends of music. I don't listen to the radio except for sometimes on this station that plays jazz until midnite. I use my CD's

The main reason for this is because music that is popular usually isn't of high quality (as far as us guitarists can say... where did all the solos go??? :mad: ).

So the other day I turned on VH1 (I love Best week ever), and music videos were playing. The one that was on, was some song by Alter Bridge, so I decided since nothing else was on, I'd watch it.

Now I didn't expect the music to be good, but the guy seemed really into it from the video, but here's the crazy part: the guy played an actual technical solo. I mean this wasn't like all these numetal and punk rock bands. Sure it was nothing like Vai or Satch or Hendrix.... but it actually took skill.

And then the next song (which is what got me) was Heaven by Los Lonely boys. I had never heard their music, but I read in guitar world and guitar player that the guitarist had chops, and was filling the void of texas blues after SRV died. I thought that (when I read it) they would be another band you would never hear on the radio, but just saw the occasional article. Not so. We're talking music video on national television.

Ok so where am I going with this? I just wanna say that I think "real" music, that combines feeling with technical ability, like it was in the good old days (that I wasn't alive in) is coming back into the glow of the popular scene.

So to all of you that threw the radios out the window, and put a permanent block on channels such as Vh1, pretty soon (I'm hoping) you won't have to. Guitar solos, virtuoso influences and more than just power chord music is coming back :D ! Have we waited long enough?
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
TheWizard
TheWizard
08/15/2004 11:04 pm
Ive heard los lonely boys a few times and that guy can really play

unfortunatly the songs on the whole are kind of weak, but yeah that guy, and the bass player has some skills
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 2
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/15/2004 11:52 pm
I actually like the Los lonely boys...lol thats about the only christian music I like..the lyrics arnt my favorite but he can play the guitar..I like his style
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 3
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2004 12:39 am
Originally Posted by: ketsueki15 thats about the only christian music I like

What about Jesus Christ Superstar? It's only the greatest rock opera of all time!

(Note: there are only two rock operas, the one above, and Tommy, PLEASE tell me if you know of anymore, it's kind of an obsessive thing for me)
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 4
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/16/2004 12:55 am
I was actually thinking that today. It's a conspiracy! You might have just jinxed us though. Bastard. :mad: :p

# 5
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2004 12:58 am
Originally Posted by: iihollyI was actually thinking that today.

What that I'm obsessed with rock operas? Man iiholly, I know you are obsessed with me, but I didn't think you are a stalker to.

:rolleyes:
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 6
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
08/16/2004 1:55 am
Originally Posted by: ketsueki15I actually like the Los lonely boys...lol thats about the only christian music I like..the lyrics arnt my favorite but he can play the guitar..I like his style

Yeah I like them too, I also like shinedown and sevendust too.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/16/2004 4:29 am
Alter Bridge is the original members of Creed plus a new singer. The guitarist has always claimed to be a Metallica fan and idolizes Hammett, but we didn't really know for sure how true that was until this new project. I don't really dig the solo (for now, that is), but at least it's something. Some nice arpeggiation and such in it.

Originally Posted by: The AceWhat about Jesus Christ Superstar? It's only the greatest rock opera of all time!

(Note: there are only two rock operas, the one above, and Tommy, PLEASE tell me if you know of anymore, it's kind of an obsessive thing for me)

Hmm... did we forget "The Wall", perhaps the definitive rock opera? I don't really agree with calling Jesus Christ Superstar a rock opera, since it was an actual theatre production, whereas I believe the usual definition of rock opera is an album by a rock band that has a storyline.

Also, there's Greendale by Neil Young, which is actually a murder mystery. That's pretty darned funny, if you ask me! Apparently when he was touring with the new album (he might still be) he would play it all the way through and there would be actors onstage with the band acting out the murder mystery.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
08/16/2004 1:15 pm
Isn't it puzzling how good guitar music and solos disappeared from rock music in the 90's , even though today , we see more kids who can play everything from Hendrix and Page to Vai or Malmsteen at the age of 15 or less.

Where do these guys go , while those other ****heads become rock stars and guitarists of the year?

Is it that most decent guitarists now are just digital copiers instead of being creative ?
# 9
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2004 1:41 pm
Quadrophenia does not classify as a rock opera to me. Rock opera (to me at least) means an "opera" (which means the whole thing is in song) made of "rock" music. Quadrophenia is more like a rock musical to me....

By that definition JSS is a rock opera.... all song, and you can tell its rock just by listening to the overture.
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 10
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/16/2004 1:54 pm
It wouldn't surprise me if more guitar oriented bands start making a comeback, although I'm not going to hold my breath while I wait, I think there is hope , if, the songwriting is strong and the solo's, riffs, fills etc are kept short and interesting, growing up in the classic rock era that seemed to be the formula for pop radio, I think the 90's disappearence of the guitar solo may have been in part a backlash against hair bands that were big on guitar and short on songwriting kind of like the new wave/punk bands were a backlash against the 70's rockers, Maybe Los Lonely Boys are opening up the door a bit, I bought their CD and it's the first CD I've bought in over 10 years that getting any popular/rock radio airplay ..............
# 11
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
08/16/2004 4:03 pm
The music out today is bad, not because of the absence of solos or bad lyrics, although those facts do contribute, but it's that all the music sounds the same. I was at some party the other day, and they played 2 cd's and me and my drummer ( for my band) had asked the host what band it was, and she was like " Its a mix with all different Bands". I cracked up, because i was like : it all sounds the same". Thats too bad about the music today. My bro though knows ALOT of music, So luckily he tells me some good new bands that are out makin cd's.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 12
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/16/2004 10:25 pm
I wish the thrash metal scene and the 80's metal scene would come back..my favorite thrash band was Testament and they had killer solos along with very cool rythms..Im obsessed with thers cd's and exodus and anthrax arent to bad...there are some thrash bands today that are decent but they dont compare to testament IMHO...is testament a christian band????lol
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 13
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2004 10:49 pm
Originally Posted by: SLYIsn't it puzzling how good guitar music and solos disappeared from rock music in the 90's , even though today , we see more kids who can play everything from Hendrix and Page to Vai or Malmsteen at the age of 15 or less.

Where do these guys go

That reminds me of Aiwass.... where did that dude go?
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 14
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
08/17/2004 3:09 am
Yeah , I remember this dude.
He goes off for long whiles ,and comeback again ... I do this oftenly too ! ;)
# 15
pikengren
pikengren
08/17/2004 3:41 am
i think good guitar work is on it's way back. i've seen some signs, nothing i can put my finger on, call it a gut feeling.
people do get sick of hearing the same sound, and want to hear something different. and i'm hearing more and more younger people ( not just guitar players) having an appreciation for bands that i grew up listening to, which, incidentally, lol were bands from before my time as well.
and i'm hearing more guitar licks in songs that i actually like, things that sound fun to play. it is time. :)
# 16
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/17/2004 10:56 pm
Ace your name is tatooed on my butt, and I'm you're groupie. So if you qualify a groupie as a stalker, then yes, I am your stalker.

# 17
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/17/2004 10:58 pm
Originally Posted by: The AceThat reminds me of Aiwass.... where did that dude go?

I ate him. Alive.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 18
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/18/2004 12:05 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI ate him. Alive.

I wonder if human is Atkins approved...

# 19
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2004 12:35 am
Originally Posted by: iihollyI wonder if human is Atkins approved...

depends on who you eat... Aiwass? probably...

Now if you eat someone like Azrael, then your in big trouble....

(JK Az, had to pick on some1 besides the Doc and eggman)
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.