Music is coming back

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/18/2004 4:37 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOne... most of my "off" periods of time were when i felt like giving up because i felt stupid; as i got older i just kind of rolled with it, and i learned a lot more than i did before.

... but then they realize that though they can play a mean purple haze or they can surf with the alien, they just can't make their own stuff that doesn't sound like Vai playing a Hendrix solo. so they just kind of go "screw it" at some point and go on to college in something that has nothing to do with music. just my theory...
[font=trebuchet ms]YESSS!!!

Since 1968, there have been a lot of times I felt, uh, insufficient? because I couldn't casually tear off a note-perfect copy of Vai, Satriani, or even Hammet. But there have also been a lot of times when some whiz-kid has been invited to add stuff to some tracks I've laid down and they've been unable to replicate my chops. Not 'cause they're particularly intricate or technical, it's just that my style has a unique sort of twist to the timing and dynamics.

And it's original, while still paying respect to my mentors and influences.[/font] :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/19/2004 12:11 am
Don't be too modest now Lord. :p

I agree with that theory Pony One. Not just with those kids who are gifted, but for anyone who has maybe worked for their talent. They soon stop realizing that not everyone can do what they can do. Like that one thread on here where people are upset, because audiences applaud them after playing a bad version of "Stairway to Heaven." People need to learn how to give themselves some credit. Except for LOTS, he obviously doesn't need his ego to be inflated anymore than it already is (just teasing).

# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/19/2004 3:54 am
Originally Posted by: DreamRyche2112Yeah I like them too, I also like shinedown and sevendust too.

My friend's cousin is the drummer for Shinedown. I didn't realize they were that big until my friend said they were going to be on FUSE at 2 AM; I joked about it and said "Oh yeah, alot of people will watch that...." and he informed me that they have a record contract with I believe he said Atlantic, in which I said "Wait a minute...".

I thought there was a chance he was ****ting me until he picked me up one day with his van, and there were 150 of those black "Shinedown" shirts with the crazy logo thing. I guess his cousin sent the shirts up here in Wisconsin (Shinedown is from Atlanta i think) to be distributed. Once again I laughed and said "No way. You're not going to sell those at $10 bucks a pop." and I asked him 3 and a half weeks later about it, and he sold every single one.

That being said, I downloaded a few of their songs off the internet and thought it was really ****ing typical and lame, but apparently some people disagree.

~Incidents

P.S- I believe this is about the sixty-seventh time I've hijacked a thread. Luckily my name isn't Mohammad, I should be safe from profiling.;)
# 3
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/19/2004 4:02 am
I agree with you Incidents. I like 45 though, its just the teenie bopper in me I guess. :o

# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/19/2004 4:06 am
Who the heck is Shinedown?
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/19/2004 4:29 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanWho the heck is Shinedown?

An AWFUL band. Whose entire song consists of "SHUUTT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPP!" They're rock and roll's version of emo lyrics. AND they do a Half-assed job covering a Lynyrd Skynyrd classic: Simple man.

Boo this band.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/19/2004 6:12 am
My thoughts exactly, Jolly; What i was suprised at was how popular they are with teenagers, though. I'd say that people are losing their ability to listen and judge music for themselves and not from the stance of their own generation. For example, Ewan McCall (Sea-Shanty Folk Musician) made this obscure record in the late 50's called Blow Boys Blow, as well as Thar She Blows. There was this song called "Off To Sea Once More" (written around 1860, obviously not by him) that I let a girl listen to, and I asked her to really listen to it and ask me what she thought. She listened, and was angry that there wasn't a chorus, and found it hard to pinpoint, "it wasn't catchy". Don't bore us, get to the chorus! Music is not getting better, it's getting progressively worse, each and every year. When the top 10 is filled with rappers, I have to wonder what kind of world this is.

~Incidents
# 7
Meta
Meta
08/19/2004 6:27 am
Any one else noticed that Classical guitar has..well is Dead,Radio wise anyway unless u find a Crap AM station that plays classical....
|/- :eek: Zeeky Boogy Doog :eek: -\|
< - (o .0) - >
# 8
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
08/20/2004 12:49 am
I don't think any style of music is dead,...in fact w/internet and cable it's a lot easier then it was 15yrs ago to find/hear all kinds of music from all over the world.
eventually you just realize that fm radio and mtv have been feeding you crap and holding back on the good stuff. It takes a little bit of work, but there's plenty of good music out there to be heard.

I'm proud to admit I've been MTV & FM radio free for about 5yrs now.
# 9
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
08/20/2004 3:01 am
anybody ever heard of these guys?

www.strunzandfarah.com
# 10
Meta
Meta
08/20/2004 4:35 am
Originally Posted by: chris moodanybody ever heard of these guys?

www.strunzandfarah.com

Never heard of em :D

there pretty good though
< - (o .0) - >
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/20/2004 9:50 pm
Originally Posted by: MetaAny one else noticed that Classical guitar has..well is Dead,Radio wise anyway unless u find a Crap AM station that plays classical....

My public Radio Station has a moonlight classical guitar session every wednesday night at 8. AND I recently saw David Russel, the GOD of classical guitarist in my hometown. It's not dead, it's just low profile. Like a ninja.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 12
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/21/2004 3:23 am
People just aren't going to get excited about music that's been around for hundreds of years (and I mean exact music, note for note). I'm not going to rush out to the store and get John Williams' newest CD, because who gives a **** about John Williams?

~Incidents
# 13
Meta
Meta
08/21/2004 1:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenPeople just aren't going to get excited about music that's been around for hundreds of years (and I mean exact music, note for note). I'm not going to rush out to the store and get John Williams' newest CD, because who gives a **** about John Williams?

~Incidents

.....................ME :D
< - (o .0) - >
# 14
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
08/21/2004 5:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenPeople just aren't going to get excited about music that's been around for hundreds of years (and I mean exact music, note for note). I'm not going to rush out to the store and get John Williams' newest CD, because who gives a **** about John Williams?

~Incidents

Well some people are just great interpreters, like John Williams. You know when you buy a John Williams cd the musicianship is not going to be less then spectacular. I dig what your saying though, people need to pay attention and support the newer artists so that music keeps moving forward, but we also can't forget about paying homage to the masters. Balance is the key word here.
# 15
PlayLoud
PlayLoud
08/22/2004 6:43 am
With few exceptions, the 90's and 00's lack any good music. Rock nowadays is really ****, and most "music" is made in 10 minutes with synthesizers on a computer.

Not a lot of people listen to classical stuff anymore. That's pathetic imho. I think that music as we once knew it has taken a plunge down the proverbial drain.
# 16
zepo
zepo
08/22/2004 10:34 pm
First thing, Alter Bridge's guitar player actually used to take lessons from Michael Angelo (learned about that at the dean guitar clinic with Batio) So you know he can tear it up if he wants (damn closest shredders!)

Secondly I got to see Los Lonely boys when they opened up for George Throrogood back in March before they blew up. The bass player is nuts live took his bass off slapped a towel on the floor placed the neck on the towel then proceded to play it kinda like a keyboard, goood stuff. All their stuff sounds great live, I wouldn't go as far as classifying them as a christian rock band though most of their other songs didn't have the same lyrical style of Heaven but I don't have their new cd so I'm not sure what the record label letting them put out.

Oh and lastly I SWEAR that new singer for Alter Bridge is the same guy who plays Thor in the movie Rock Star, you know the one that takes over for Marky Mark near the very end. He comes up and starts singing with him on stage then goes "...call me Thor god of THUNDAAR". Anyways I'll put money on it being him!
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 17
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/24/2004 12:32 am
Isn't this what people used to say about rock 'n roll back in the day. I don't disrespect rap at all. I mean it does take something... I mean I can't do it. Some of it sucks, but what can ya do?
There is plenty of halfway decent music going on, but its just not to your guys' taste. Atleast we still have the music previously made to listen to until maybe music makes an actual come back in the direction you guys want it to.
Don't be so pessimistic, makes me sad. :(

# 18
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/24/2004 4:58 am
Originally Posted by: iihollyIsn't this what people used to say about rock 'n roll back in the day. I don't disrespect rap at all. I mean it does take something... I mean I can't do it. Some of it sucks, but what can ya do?
There is plenty of halfway decent music going on, but its just not to your guys' taste. Atleast we still have the music previously made to listen to until maybe music makes an actual come back in the direction you guys want it to.
Don't be so pessimistic, makes me sad. :(

There is good and bad in all styles of music. In my opinion, if it takes talent, it deserves respecting. For example, I really dig Ace of Base simply for their killer hooks. Each song has at least one amazing hook in it. Some people wonder why I listen to them since it seems out of character, but I respect their songwriting skills (to be honest though, I can't exactly listen to it hours on end, but it has its time & place).

I think one cop-out though is people who say "oh, I like all kinds of music", as in "I don't care what kind of music is playing, I dig it".
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 19
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/26/2004 5:06 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggman
I think one cop-out though is people who say "oh, I like all kinds of music", as in "I don't care what kind of music is playing, I dig it".

Exactly; I meet these people at my high school every day. People say "I like all kinds of music". I've never met a male say this comment, only females who don't know anything about music enough to consider themselves specialized (*don't get sensitive, this is my opinion based on my experiences*). they may say that as in self defense, because I ask the question about music right when i meet a person; Then again, they probably have a specific type of music they like, they just don't want to say it in case i don't like it.......Ah! :)
Well anyways, then I'll ask them if they like Classical music, in which they say "no", then i ask if they like opra, "No", then i ask if they like bebop, "No", then i punch them in the face, "Yes". ;)

What music you like and listen to and are influenced by shows a great deal of your personality. I see a white person from an affluent family overlooking a lake, with a $500,000 house, listening to Jay Z and flashing gang-signs (and wearing FUBU clothes), I immediately think "Identity problems", or "Trying to fit in".

What I don't understand is the whole "Death Metal" genre. King_David did a very good job at defending the attacking Cannibal_Corpse, who tried to convince people that music involving eating intestines through a 30-day dead woman's vagina was suitable for a listening audience. What the ****!? And CC later claims- "Death Metal isn't Death Metal without Death", which, in true class, Lordathestrings replies with "Which makes me wonder why it's so appealing? :confused: "

I believe that a large amount of people listen to mainstream music as a means to fit in, because they are insecure with their position in life. All kinds of people do this, even people in the non-mainstream world (Hippies, Punks, Goths). Anybody agree?

~Incidents
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.