You Have Reached A Full Access Section

Learning Note Names

Get full access

In the previous lesson you learned how to name the notes of your major scale pattern. Now let's talk about how to name the notes that you find in between those notes.

So we have an A and a G with a fret in between them. So what do we call this note? It actually has two different names.

The first name is G-sharp, and whenever you add a sharp to a note it raises it by a half step, which on the guitar is the same as one fret. So G# essentially means 'up one fret from G'. The sharp looks like a hashtag or a pound sign.

The other name it has is A-flat, and maybe you can guess why? Whenever you add flat to a note you lower it by a half step or one fret. So that means that Ab is one fret below A. The flat symbol looks like a lower-case letter b. So this note between G and A can be a G# or an Ab.

Let's try another example. Let's take those two notes in the 5th and 7th fret of the E-string: A and B. Now what are the two names we can use for the note in between them? It's up one fret from the A-note, so we can call it A#. It's also down a fret from the B-note, so we can also call it Bb.

Now to help you remember this, let's come up with a little song.

Lesson Info
Any Style
Learning Note Names