Yamaha THR10 Modeling amp

Doug T
Doug T
03/06/2016 9:47 pm
Hi All,

I saw this amp reviewed in the GT insider. I had already been shopping for a small portable amp that I could use for practice at home. I wanted great sound quality but at low volume to appease noise complaints. I gave this unit a good a test ride and bought it on the spot. Yamaha did a great job on this box!
It emulates many amp types very well and has several effects including delay and reverb. It has an excellent and simple to use tuner and many other options. The headphone jack allows me to go completely stealth without blowing the ear drums for quality. It runs on batteries or AC with no negatives and is small, lightweight and very easy to haul around. It also sounds awesome at higher volumes and connects to the computer very simply to download additional tunings for very specific sounds. You can save 5 custom settings on the unit For less than $300 it is an awesome fit for me. Even if you are not in the market for this type of amp I highly recommend testing it at your local music shop.

The only cons for me at first was just getting down all the settings but it didn't take long. The second con is everyone wants to borrow it.

Here is the URL http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/thr/thr10_v2/
# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
03/07/2016 6:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Doug THi All,

I saw this amp reviewed in the GT insider. I had already been shopping for a small portable amp that I could use for practice at home. I wanted great sound quality but at low volume to appease noise complaints. I gave this unit a good a test ride and bought it on the spot. Yamaha did a great job on this box!
It emulates many amp types very well and has several effects including delay and reverb. It has an excellent and simple to use tuner and many other options. The headphone jack allows me to go completely stealth without blowing the ear drums for quality. It runs on batteries or AC with no negatives and is small, lightweight and very easy to haul around. It also sounds awesome at higher volumes and connects to the computer very simply to download additional tunings for very specific sounds. You can save 5 custom settings on the unit For less than $300 it is an awesome fit for me. Even if you are not in the market for this type of amp I highly recommend testing it at your local music shop.

The only cons for me at first was just getting down all the settings but it didn't take long. The second con is everyone wants to borrow it.

Here is the URL http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/thr/thr10_v2/

Haha, the second con. Kinda like owning a pickup truck I guess.

Amp looks good. Thanks for the review.
# 2
technojeff
technojeff
10/19/2016 5:55 am

I agree with your passion for this amp. Amazing versatility and even output power. I have two of them, the acoustic amp and the straight Thr10. The presets are a great starting point as they have been finely tuned by the Yamaha pro team. The only thing you can't learn from them is the knob positions that achieved the sound. It's ok though, as the software includes an editor which shows actual. The range of sounds available is huge, and even though I have owned these for over 2 years, there is still plenty to discover. I play a Duesenberg Fullerton CC through the amp and it matches the range and output of the pickups really well giving me a controlled sound right through to a tube distorted blues box. I would recommend amp to anyone. There are cheaper amps available, but I haven't found any that I would swap mine for. Finally, with the pseudo tube glow and retro styling they really look special. (Even the wife thinks they look great and we have one permanently on display and used in our living room at home.)
# 3
bcubed1979
bcubed1979
03/31/2017 3:14 am

I just ordered the Yamaha THR10C. Should be coming in on Monday and I am very much looking forward to the portability!

# 4
bomt1999
bomt1999
09/17/2017 1:02 pm

I wish I could get that Yamaha. I'm waiting on mySlottyVegas bonus, have something saved up and then I'm getting it. I will record the hell out of it lol

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.