looking to start a band

killerqueen
killerqueen
06/29/2004 3:44 am
hi.
i've been looking to start a band for ages, but seem to be getting nowhere.
i've been trying to find 3 other people to start a queen/vanhalen-esque glam rock band and am now completely stumped. i've advertised in loads of places but no one's interested. all the people i know or have spoken to are into newish punk stuff which isnt what i like to play.

so, any ideas where i can find a singer/keyboard player, bassist and drummer in London/south east of England?????
any other classic rockers having the same sorta problems?

i'd really appreciate any feedback.... even if its just to know i'm not the only one :)
Elvis Lives (in my basement)
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
06/29/2004 2:06 pm
Try going to some music school's and ask for people with experience. Maybe even ask some of the teachers.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
AspenRich4214
AspenRich4214
06/29/2004 2:57 pm
Hey, I started a band easily. I'm 13, and im not the punkish type. Everyone in my band is. I like Metallica, Queen, Jimi Hendrix(teh King), Iron maiden, Ozzy, blah over Punk, but I do like some new stuff. http://shortbusrejects.cjb.net is our site, if you want to drop by and take a look.
# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
06/29/2004 5:27 pm
I'm in the U.S., South Carolina, and have been having the same problem. I'm already in an original hard rock band, but have been trying to start up a classic rock cover band to play songs by such bands as Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Hendrix, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, basically all the good old bands most people know and like. I've found a drummer and another guitar player, but the singer and bass player is what we cannot find. Been looking for months, so, yeah, your not the only one......
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
07/01/2004 6:26 am
I have my own band. I was already in 2 bands that broke up kuz sum1 had a bad attitude. Thats another thing u dont want just any1 kuz sum people hav really bad attiti\udes. they dont wanna practice, they think every ide is gay and dumb etc. but now i finally have a band thats goin sumwhere. im only 12 but im really into this stuff. Its all im good at.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 5
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/01/2004 6:19 pm
Media is killin good music. That's why it is so hard to start bands when you are committed to your instrument. You'll want to play something that's fun, but challenging too. This is hard because everybody starts this whole punk thing, and its got no musical content whatsoever.

I usually have to play with older people, because NO ONE likes jazz or fusion or flamenco in my age group. I know a bassist who is obsessed with rap, all the drummers play sheet music and expect me to write stuff for them... and have a drumset where ever we wud rehearse, the only pianist who knows anything about comping is 4 years older than me... and has other interests, andI can barely ever find a sax or trumpet to jam with. I will have to rely on the school jazz band, but I want a smaller group where I choose the material.

Good luck to ya man.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/02/2004 8:02 pm
I have my own band. I was already in 2 bands that broke up kuz sum1 had a bad attitude. Thats another thing u dont want just any1 kuz sum people hav really bad attiti\udes. they dont wanna practice, they think every ide is gay and dumb etc. but now i finally have a band thats goin sumwhere. im only 12 but im really into this stuff. Its all im good at.

You're a little young to say "The only thing I'm good at is the guitar".

~Incidents
# 7
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/05/2004 3:40 am
Atleast he knows he good at something. At that age a lot of kids have no idea which way they're going. I know I didn't.
As far as starting a band I always hit up the different high schools in our area's school bands, those kids usually play instruments besides the ones they do for their school band. I also go to local places that give lessons, and just ask an instructor. Just keep an eye out, and you should be able to find people.

# 8
Dante7978
Dante7978
07/05/2004 10:55 pm
Originally Posted by: killerqueenhi.
i've been looking to start a band for ages, but seem to be getting nowhere.
i've been trying to find 3 other people to start a queen/vanhalen-esque glam rock band and am now completely stumped. i've advertised in loads of places but no one's interested. all the people i know or have spoken to are into newish punk stuff which isnt what i like to play.

so, any ideas where i can find a singer/keyboard player, bassist and drummer in London/south east of England?????
any other classic rockers having the same sorta problems?

i'd really appreciate any feedback.... even if its just to know i'm not the only one :)

Ay man, don't start a band. You know, with those groupies goin around everywhere, there's guarantee of getting STDs man. I already got 4....maaaaan...I can't have pleasure anymore...
HADOUUUU KEN!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
# 9
alucard0941
alucard0941
07/06/2004 12:51 am
Originally Posted by: Dante7978Ay man, don't start a band. You know, with those groupies goin around everywhere, there's guarantee of getting STDs man. I already got 4....maaaaan...I can't have pleasure anymore...

you remind me soo much of Freddie Mercury...
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 10
MasterChief
MasterChief
07/07/2004 11:11 pm
too bad you guys dont live in Southern California. There are so many bands its not even funny.... the crappy thing is that most of them are hard core punk bands.... So its kinda hard to find real tallented players... good thing I know a few of those people :P
# 11
rob b.
rob b.
07/08/2004 5:59 pm
As sad as it to say it, it really depends on where you live. I just moved from NJ to SC almost a year ago. When I was in NJ, I had an original band (indie), I was in a Bon Scott tribute band (AC/DC), and in a regular classic/hard rock band. Did I mention I was in all of them at the same time. The music scene was amazing there, 50 miles from NYC, Philly. Hundreds of venues to play. It seemed like everyone you talked to was a musician in a band or looking to join one. When I got SC it was a whole nother story... there wasn't a scene, still isn't one if you ask my opinion. There was limited resources also... 1 free weekly newspaper that may have an add on occasion. And 1 website, where most of the people just talked trash to each other. It took me, 8 months to find two cool guys, and start a cover band... I've given up on originals for now... just doesn't seem like there's a market for it. I almost debated on selling all of my gear and just giving up music... then I thought... NO WAY, MAN!!! Just don't give up hope! You'll find something eventually.
"It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." ~ J.S. Bach
# 12
BluesMetal
BluesMetal
07/12/2004 4:11 pm
So those of you that share interests why not shoot tracks back an fourth in emails and make a guitar tricks band :)
# 13
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
07/15/2004 1:36 am
Killerqueen I would come play bass for ya but you are a little too far across the drink for my commute... :)

Man NOBODY could possibly have as many band problems as I do. First off I don't chew enough tobacco or have a tall enough truck for some of the musicians in my area. I just can't bring myself to going country...

Also it seems there is NOONE in my age group that lives within 90 miles of me that actually plays an instrument, so I either have to do the retirement home circuit with the Near-Deads, or play pop punk with kids that were $hitting their pants and making wee wee in their drawers the last time I actually was gigging full time...

So there. I haven't been able to round up a decent bunch of musicians in about 15 years that didn't have enough baggage to choke the life out of the band before it started... so HOW long have you been looking? :)

Thank god for computer recording and drum machines. I guess I'll just have to be content with playing with myself...
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
07/15/2004 4:00 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941you remind me soo much of Freddie Mercury...

If that was a reference to AIDS, I feel obligated to inform you that you're going to hell.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 15
killerqueen
killerqueen
07/18/2004 11:57 pm
Originally Posted by: hairbndrckrKillerqueen I would come play bass for ya but you are a little too far across the drink for my commute... :)

Man NOBODY could possibly have as many band problems as I do. First off I don't chew enough tobacco or have a tall enough truck for some of the musicians in my area. I just can't bring myself to going country...

Also it seems there is NOONE in my age group that lives within 90 miles of me that actually plays an instrument, so I either have to do the retirement home circuit with the Near-Deads, or play pop punk with kids that were $hitting their pants and making wee wee in their drawers the last time I actually was gigging full time...

So there. I haven't been able to round up a decent bunch of musicians in about 15 years that didn't have enough baggage to choke the life out of the band before it started... so HOW long have you been looking? :)

Thank god for computer recording and drum machines. I guess I'll just have to be content with playing with myself...

i've been looking for too long to remember! many years...
i know exactly what you mean with noone your age playing an instrument... every one i know plays the clarinet...

but its not just people my age, it seems noone round here plays ANYTHING vaguely rock n roll! the only person i've ever play with is another guitarist who's about 30 years older than me. i wouldn't even mind joining up with some people from the old folks home, i just wanna get out and play!!!

good luck to you man... and for the love of god dont go country!!!! :D
Elvis Lives (in my basement)
# 16
radkeysplayer
radkeysplayer
08/06/2004 1:16 am
This rocker has the same issue lol. My music scene is emo and hardcore music. That is music I am not interested in playing. Everyone wants to do it, and the classic rockers are far and few in between.
Favorite band: The Doors
# 17
ckandes1
ckandes1
09/11/2004 8:33 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKI'm in the U.S., South Carolina, and have been having the same problem. I'm already in an original hard rock band, but have been trying to start up a classic rock cover band to play songs by such bands as Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Hendrix, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, basically all the good old bands most people know and like. I've found a drummer and another guitar player, but the singer and bass player is what we cannot find. Been looking for months, so, yeah, your not the only one......

i can understand you having a hard time finding a singer that can sing Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Hendrix, Van Halen, Pink Floyd. I mean wow he's gotta be pretty damn talented!
[FONT=Courier New]
E||-----------------------------|---------------------||
B||-----------------------------|---------------------||
G||*--------7h8-7---------------|--------------5-----*||
D||*------------------7h8-7-----|--------5--------7--*||
A||---0--0---------0---------0--|--8--7-----7---------||
E||-----------------------------|---------------------||
:cool: Ckandes1
[/FONT]
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.