Speed!!!!!

DarkSoul(X)
DarkSoul(X)
05/22/2004 8:41 am
I'm not a begginer, i've been playin for 2yrs, but now i'm starting to get into soloing, so i need to build speed, i've gotten alot better at it, but i was wonderin if u guys could give me some excersizes to help. thanxs!
# 1
Saax
Saax
05/22/2004 9:09 am
Hey dude

Ive also been playing for about 2 years now and something that really helped me gain speed is my good friend : The metronome

Just get yourself one its a good investment.
A good exercise t do with it is playing chromatics on 16th notes. Its great for finger independance and speed.
Even playing through ur scales(alternate picking and with a metronome) will increase speed.
There are countless amount of exercises that you can do with a metronome to increase speed

Rock on!!!
I wanna ROCK
# 2
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/22/2004 1:11 pm
I agree. Chromatics with the metronome gives great speed! Try out this one:

e|------------------------------------------------------------------>
B|------------------------------------------------------------------>
G|----------------------------------------5--6--7--8--9--8--7--6---->
D|---------------------------5--6--7--8----------------------------->
A|---------------5--6--7--8----------------------------------------->
E|--5--6--7--8------------------------------------------------------>

e|----------------------------7--8--9--10-11-10-9--8------------------>
B|---------------7--8--9--10---------------------------11-10--9--8---->
G|--7--8--9--10------------------------------------------------------->
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------->
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------->
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------->

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------->
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------->
G|--11-10--9--8------------------------------------------------------->
D|----------------11-10--9--8--7--8--9--10-9--8--7--6----------------->
A|-------------------------------------------------------9--8--7--6--->
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------->

e|---------------|
B|---------------|
G|---------------|
D|---------------|
A|---------------|
E|--9--8--7--6---|

What you should do is to play them in groups of four (maybe I learned something after all, Azrael, haha). Set the metronome (if you don't have any: www.metronomeonline.com) on 80 bpm. Then play 4 notes/beat. As you will see, that beat will allways appear on the first note in the group. Just play the pattern and if it feels comfortable and sounds clean, then raise the metronome till 84 bpm. Do the same process and continue till you find where your temporary limit are. Maybeyou will be able to reach at least 160-180 bpm. Do this 5 times a day for 10 minutes each and you will find yourself being able to play faster and faster for every week.

Also do your own patterns and try to play them in different groups.

Good luck!!!!
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 3
DarkSoul(X)
DarkSoul(X)
05/23/2004 8:55 am
Thanxs for all the help. I have another question if you dont mind answering. Whats a good way to get good at solos, like where should i start. I can play some small solos("Lake of Fire", Into Solo for Am I Evil, and Half of Unforgiven). So any help with that are would be great as well. And if its not to much trouble can you hook me up with some scales, becuase i heard they where a good thing to learn if you want to play and write solos! thanxs!

--Josh
# 4
Saax
Saax
05/23/2004 9:57 am
I think a very important skill to develop when learning solos is the ability to hit the pause and rewind button on your hi fi. If youre learning big and very technical solos it'll be best to learn it lick by lick.
Treat hard riffs/licks as exercises.

The best place to start with scales is probably the ol' favourite of many players the minor pentatonic. It only has five notes so that chance of hitting "wrong notes" when soloing is less than when you use say the Aeolian mode.

Go check out www.ibreathemusic.com for some good advice on scales.

Rock on
I wanna ROCK
# 5
RevRaz
RevRaz
05/23/2004 7:52 pm
Troy Stetina's book Speed Mechanics is a nice way to improve your speed.
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/24/2004 9:32 am
500 h.p., lead foot - 500mph - you´ll be one hell of a fast guitarrist with the propper car! *LOL*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 7
smokedfleas
smokedfleas
05/25/2004 8:50 pm
Speed comes naturally. Like anything else, if you force it you'll only slow yourself down.
# 8
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
05/26/2004 2:58 am
Troys speed mechanics is a very very very goood book..I own it myself and love it...I also own a few of his other books that are good..like the thrash metal book..Very good..along with the Metal Lead Vol 2
look into speed mechanics...AlSO PRACTICE ALOT AND SLOW TILL ITS PERFECT...to bad i dont do this my self..lol
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 9
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
05/26/2004 6:47 pm
speed is a side effect of accuracy. when you take things slow, especially with a metronome. and just practice excercises or anything with it, you're technique will get much better, and the speed will develop a long with it. going for pure speed is dumb and pointless. you need to have the control to go along with it. metronome will be your best friend here.

good luck
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 10
Guitar-Guru
Guitar-Guru
06/02/2004 1:25 am
Hey There fellow guitar guys! I have been playing for about 5 years or so and have been teaching for 3 of thoes 5... I remember when i first started teaching thinking, why did my guitar teacher recomend me im not fast enough!!! LOL. Well What i did to speed myself up was chromatics with a metronome but another exercise i used was scales broken down and sped up. That pesky little 4th finger always gave me trouble when Id try to play something from: Joe satriani, or Steve Via, or even Van Halen. What I did was I too the Am pentatonic (you can use any scale but for ease i'll give you this one!)

E--8-5-8-5------------------------------------------------------------->
B----------8-5-8-5----------------------------------------------------->
G------------------7-5-7-5--------------------------------------------->
D--------------------------7-5-7-5------------------------------------->
A----------------------------------7-5-7-5-5-3-5-3-------------------->
E---------------------------------------------------5-3-5-3-5~~~~--->

It's nothing special but it sped up my 3rd and 4th finger (the wakest). To start on this you can try alternating your picking when you get better at it you can hammer on and pull off all the notes picking only on the first note you play. If your gain is high enough you can just fly though it. Unlike practicing chromaitcs this lick you can actually use for soloing! it has a practical use.. but even though you can do it with "distortion" its always important to try it on the dood'old accoustic! a clean tone dosnt cover up mistakes and is a real test of your guitar technique!!! Remember start slow and then speed up as you go!!

Enjoy!
Ken
I'm Ken :cool:
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.