Easy Songs For a beginner

Rockin Rick
Rockin Rick
05/11/2004 1:19 am
I'm fairly new to playing the guitar and I've just learned a couple of them: Deep purple- Smoke on the Water and America- Horse With No Name. I'm looking for some more songs that are fairly easy for a beginner before I go on to the harder stuff. Thanks for your help.
[FONT=Arial Black]Rockin Rick[/font]
Originally Posted by: Rockin RickYou Never get a second chance at a first impression! Make it a good one!
# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/11/2004 2:33 am
Old Jewel stuff is easy, and helps beginners develop finger picking techniques. Nirvana and Green Day are also good, and easy for beginners.

# 2
Digit
Digit
05/11/2004 5:02 am
Rocky Mountain Way.. triumph version.
In The Mood - Rush
Any Beatles tune..
# 3
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/11/2004 10:57 am
Beatles' good.. Fantastic music, acctually

Try to learn difficult songs, that will make the easy songs much more easier
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 4
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/11/2004 11:32 am
I don't know what your idea for easy is,but there's a site called guitarnoise,and on it they got a whole bunch of song lessons,like 40 or thereabouts,called,surprise surprise,easy songs for beginners.
www.guitarnoise.com
# 5
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/11/2004 12:49 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavidI don't know what your idea for easy is

Well, that was more of somekind of wise advice that's useable in most situations.. =D

I started with DT:s Strange Deja Vu, which of course wasn't the best choice (I couldn't play the whole song with somekind of accuracy untill after 1 year and maybe first now I get the groove and the flow, and that's 2,5 years later) but the good thing was that "easy" songs like Nirvana stuff was no problem for me pretty earlie in my career..

Also, if you wan't to play metal, I most suggest Yngwie Malmsteen's PLAY LOUD instruction VHS serie. I know, that's not easy, but you will learn sooooo much about how to shredd, play fun penta/blues inspired licks and the arpeggio-session is great!!!! Buy it, my friend!! I don't know why I feel so happy? Maybe it's because Solitary Shell is played in the background! Haha! I'm feeling great! :D

Good luck with your playing and don't hesitate to ask more questions etc!!!! :eek:
# 6
Rockin Rick
Rockin Rick
05/11/2004 3:15 pm
Thanks so much for your advice. Do you know if the VHS tape you mentioned comes in a DVD lesson? I really like DVD because when you freeze it you can view the screen without any distortion, unlike video tape.
Originally Posted by: Rockin RickYou Never get a second chance at a first impression! Make it a good one!
# 7
Rockin Rick
Rockin Rick
05/11/2004 3:29 pm
Originally Posted by: InisfailBeatles' good.. Fantastic music, acctually

Try to learn difficult songs, that will make the easy songs much more easier

Yah, I think there may be some truth in what your saying about learning something harder first and that will make the easy songs seem easier to learn. But at the same time maybe it could take longer for you to learn any songs that way because you are starting with the harder stuff.
# 8
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/11/2004 5:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Rockin RickThanks so much for your advice. Do you know if the VHS tape you mentioned comes in a DVD lesson? I really like DVD because when you freeze it you can view the screen without any distortion, unlike video tape.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's kinda fun that you ask that, cause just some minutes after I posted that reply I sent an e-mail to yngwie.org's webmaster to ask if PLAY LOUD is available on DVD.. Guess I've to wait for his answer before I can tell you.. Or, check it out on amazon.com or e-bay.com ..

[QUOTE=Rockin Rick]But at the same time maybe it could take longer for you to learn any songs that way because you are starting with the harder stuff.

You certainly have a point! I suggest that you play let's say 2 songs parallell, one hard and one easy. Play the diffucult one for 20 minutes, then go back to the easier for 20 minutes. You could also enlarge the intervalls and perhaps spending some hours on the difficult song and then play the easy one for some hours..

I suggest that you anyway alternate songs kinda quick so you don't bore yourself like I did with only one song for several days or maybe weeks.. Nowadays I usually take out one part of a song I really like and master it and then I go to another song.. I think it's more impressive to know several songs a little than only a few perfect.. I don't mean that you should be careless when you learn songs, but once you find the feeling/groove, the rythm in the song you can play it, if you ask me..

I mean, you should play with the right side of your brain (the creative one, the improvising part) and not the left side (which is more mathematical). That's not easy, but you can do one important thing, and that is not to let the tabs take control over you. Use them as a drawing and then build the song with your imagination.. All kind of improvising is good, allthough it doesn't even fit in, cause the next time you try impro it'll sound a little better and the next time even better etc.

Keep playin' :D
# 9
Rockin Rick
Rockin Rick
05/11/2004 11:41 pm
Originally Posted by: InisfailWell, it's kinda fun that you ask that, cause just some minutes after I posted that reply I sent an e-mail to yngwie.org's webmaster to ask if PLAY LOUD is available on DVD.. Guess I've to wait for his answer before I can tell you.. Or, check it out on amazon.com or e-bay.com ..

You certainly have a point! I suggest that you play let's say 2 songs parallell, one hard and one easy. Play the diffucult one for 20 minutes, then go back to the easier for 20 minutes. You could also enlarge the intervalls and perhaps spending some hours on the difficult song and then play the easy one for some hours..

I suggest that you anyway alternate songs kinda quick so you don't bore yourself like I did with only one song for several days or maybe weeks.. Nowadays I usually take out one part of a song I really like and master it and then I go to another song.. I think it's more impressive to know several songs a little than only a few perfect.. I don't mean that you should be careless when you learn songs, but once you find the feeling/groove, the rythm in the song you can play it, if you ask me..

I mean, you should play with the right side of your brain (the creative one, the improvising part) and not the left side (which is more mathematical). That's not easy, but you can do one important thing, and that is not to let the tabs take control over you. Use them as a drawing and then build the song with your imagination.. All kind of improvising is good, allthough it doesn't even fit in, cause the next time you try impro it'll sound a little better and the next time even better etc.

Keep playin' :D

Yah, I think what your saying is some good advice. Now if I could just get the right side of my brain to listen a little better but the left and right side keep fighting it out. Woooooo! Stop the noises in my HEAD! Just kidding of course. LOL!
# 10
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/12/2004 12:05 am
:D :D And som 10 characters of course how could I forget..
# 11
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/17/2004 4:58 pm
Guess what! Play Loud is available on DVD, according to yngwie's webbmaster. Just Amazon.com
# 12
Jools.Dylan
Jools.Dylan
06/29/2004 6:36 pm
Not all Beatles songs are easy, some can be a chalange.
But most of them are good for new players.

But you have to get used to the strange chords.
# 13
Dante7978
Dante7978
07/05/2004 10:37 pm
Man, its so obvious...the easiest thing to play for a beginner is...

Van Halen - Eruption

Now go at it. :cool:
HADOUUUU KEN!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
# 14

07/05/2004 11:10 pm
Stick with the classics :)

House of the rising sun - the animals

Great song to learn, you got a F in it which is the chord I struggled with in the early days so that song was good to practice it.
# 15
KonkerTheWorld
KonkerTheWorld
07/09/2004 1:07 am
Originally Posted by: Rockin RickI'm fairly new to playing the guitar and I've just learned a couple of them: Deep purple- Smoke on the Water and America- Horse With No Name. I'm looking for some more songs that are fairly easy for a beginner before I go on to the harder stuff. Thanks for your help.

Play the music you want to play...don't limit yourself to easy tunes. Part of being a musician is not only mastering current techniques but more importantly breaking the barriers in music. I mean where would Brian May be if he said "hold on a minute freddie...couldn't we play row row row your boat instead". As a new guitarist you should take up more challanges instead of shying away from them...music is what you make it, so make it better.
# 16
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
07/11/2004 5:09 pm
It all depends on your style, if you like blues, then try pride and joy by stevie ray vaughan ( the beginning that is). If you like metal or punk, Green Day, Metallica, Deep Purple is good. For classical eh... just learn some scales that are posted up on the guitar tricks site.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 17
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
07/12/2004 4:39 am
Well... I know one of the first songs I learned when I first started playing was "Stone in Love" from Journey. (Hell I think I am giving away my age now). You could learn just about any song from Warrant since they basically stuck to like 3 chords. AC/DC is ALWAYS worth learning. They have some great timeless songs, mostly 3 chords and mostly in the open position...

The top 5 songs I learned when starting guitar:
1. Stone in Love- Journey
2. Rock You Like a Hurricane- The Scorpions
3. Tobacco Road- David Lee Roth
4. Alone Again- Dokken
5. Runnin' with the Devil- Van Halen
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 18
Grassroot
Grassroot
07/15/2004 4:01 pm
How about Paranoid (by Black Sabbath, if there's still someone left on this planet who doesn't know that). It's so fun to play now matter how long you have played, and not too hard for a beginner.
# 19
SkippyT
SkippyT
07/19/2004 7:52 am
You could always try "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas. It's a good start for fingerpicking because of it's weird picking pattern, but once you get the pattern down, the song is so bloody easy. It also helped me pick up my right hand coordination as well...or like Benoit said, good ol' House of the Rising Sun... :cool:
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.