Broken Instruments...

Joseph
Joseph
02/09/2001 4:12 am
You know alot of musicians feel the need to trash their instruments after a long show, I guess in some ways thats their way of releasing all of their excess frustration afterwards, :rolleyes:. Personally, I could never do it, I guess for the most part Ive always believed that instruments have souls heh, I just couldn't bring myself to destroy something like that. We all have reasons for what we do on and off of stage, but why not save the temper tantrems for when you're at home. I mean I'll admit from the audiences perspective its really cool to watch everything go up in flames, but I feel the reason alot of young musicians feel the need to trash the stage is to perhaps make up for their lack of musical abilities. To some extent its all about recieving that reaction from the audience, if the music doesnt do it they might as well try something else.

Have you ever felt prone to brake your instruments after your shows?Icould never do it, that little voice inside of me screams nooooooooo...

-Joseph, :)
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/10/2001 4:11 am
*I have 2 guitars that I use at the end of the show to scrape on the mic stand or bounce off tables and stuff...I don't get violent, but if the crowd is goin' wild than it just adds to the excitement.....Recording your music in the studio is one thing...You are creating a timeless work that is being documented in the best way that you can make it sound.....Live appearences often bring out the best of both worlds in that you can showcase new and old stuff, but also add entertainment value...THAT is what the guitar smashing is all about.....ANYBODY who smashes his guitar on stage because he is REALLY angry is an idiot because he has lost self control and forgets the business he is in......
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 2
Joseph
Joseph
02/11/2001 3:41 pm
I'm all for any means possible to get the crowd going, but there are so many better ways to keep them interested. I've been to some really great and exciting shows, and when the guys smashed their instruments afterwards, it was out of mere choice and not obligation, (any other way, its just not pure, and its very dissingenuous.)

-Joseph, :).
www.ragmagazine.com
# 3
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
02/12/2001 2:26 am
Buy kramer focus 3 packs in gross, so you won't feel like you destroyed a great instrument. Or cheap synsonics guitar.
"Take my hand boss"
# 4
zeews
zeews
02/16/2001 5:00 am
To hell with trashin' your guitar. Trash your hotel room instead!!!
^(A)^-ZEEWS-^(A)^
# 5
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/18/2001 10:42 pm
Originally posted by zeews
To hell with trashin' your guitar. Trash your hotel room instead!!!

*Most hotels, now-a-days, won't let you get a room w/o a credit card to back it.....Trash the room and see what happens......:(

*Been there, done it :D
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
02/19/2001 3:35 am
I know these guys from highschool, they're shows are pretty wild. And there have been a few times where they played the stage drunk out of their minds, they were off key and the singers voice was really out of whack. And they always relied on the destruction of their instruments afterwards in case the crowds re-action was negative. I'm not quite sure how long these guys can rely on their reputation and how long they can fool their audience in the process. They have the potentional to be a really good band, its just that discipline isnt in their vocabulary. [b] I wouldn't wan't to have to rely on anything but my own personal talent on stage in ways of getting the audience to stand on their feet, because then i would know inside that their re-action wasn't simulated./b] (Thats the only way I could feel satisfied afterwards.) When the audience respects your sound instead of the visual effects, then thats the only way you can be sure that you've made a connection.
www.ragmagazine.com
# 7
FieryBreath
FieryBreath
04/01/2001 3:01 pm
Originally posted by jake sommers
Buy kramer focus 3 packs in gross, so you won't feel like you destroyed a great instrument.

That one gets me a little bit. Kramer Focus guitars may be cheap, but they are still good instruments. That is the first guitar I ever played and I played it for 2 years. I stil have 7 Kramer guitars and 3 of them are of the Focus line, and I still take them out to play. So don't destroy Kramers, love them :-)
# 8
loner92
loner92
04/01/2001 7:37 pm
Guitar bashing is just a dumb stage gimmick. If you must do it, get some really cheap inbred plywood pawnshop Hondo or harmony guitar for like $10. That way, you aren't out of much cash, and you've done the world a favor by ridding it of such ****.

# 9
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/02/2001 5:30 am
I'm not ragging the quality of the guitar, i'm talking about the price of it. I've been tempted to buy one of the focus's with a floyd rose trem on it quite a few times myslef because the price was right.
"Take my hand boss"
# 10
sixstringshredda
sixstringshredda
04/24/2001 7:38 pm
think of your instrument as an interpreter. You play what you feel through it, and it communicates to the audience and tells them how you feel. I never felt the need to smash my guitar, it just wouldnt sit right with me. Its like my friend , my companion, I know that sounds queer as all hell, but theres better ways to get the audience pumped

1. burning things ALWAYS works (we always have a pyrotechnician on hand)

2. be very active on stage (if you just stand there and play its not very entertaining)

3. or if you have no talent whatsoever and feel the need to entertain, just act like slipknot (4 members play ****ty muic, while the other 5 run around and knock **** over)

the prettiest white daisies
soaking up the red...
she always loved daisies;
but they look more like roses now...
# 11
SRVLIVES
SRVLIVES
04/24/2001 10:08 pm
I gotta say I really don't understand this bashing up instruments thing. Ever since I saw Hendrix burn his up I've wondered about this and while his has been the only one I've seen that looked like some kind of religious ceremony, I gotta figure that this is one craze that we oughtta let go. Let's try knifing a set of bag pipes to death instead.

"I suffer from my music, now it's your turn"

Shane
# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/24/2001 10:30 pm
I think just looking like you're nuts is entertainment enough. I mean, their are ways to look like you're cause your instrument great damage when you really aren't hurting anything (kinda like a good stage punch). But I think the main thing we should all push is a good energetic show. This means powerful, dynamic music, and a lot of jumping around.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
Joseph
Joseph
04/25/2001 1:25 am
Its been a while since Ive been up on stage, but it was impossible for me to just stand still throughout the show, (which probably confused our female singer at the time.) Once theres so much energy inside of you, (and when you're feeding off of the audience its hard to stand totally still without screwing up..Kim Thayil from Soundgarden, hes an amazing musician, (but he managed to stand throughout most of his entire shows) without one single facial expression, I have no idea how he did it...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 14
sixstringshredda
sixstringshredda
04/25/2001 1:28 am
stage diving works wonders for adrenaline
the prettiest white daisies
soaking up the red...
she always loved daisies;
but they look more like roses now...
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.